1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peg's & CCB - travel advise & Orlando bottle shops

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by baybum, Jan 30, 2013.

1. baybum

baybum Advocate (535) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2011

My buddy & I are coming in from out of town(CA & PA) to go to CCB & Pegs. Arriving into TPA on 3/12 5ish, renting a car, spending one night then need to drive to Orlando for work. It looks like CCB is very close to the airport, so we thought we go there first then head over to peg's. And maybe hit CCB the next day on the way to Orlando, don't need to arrive until 4:00 in Orlando.

Need suggestions on where to stay near Peg's.
    And what nightlife there is afterwards near there or elsewhere.
    Also any good bottle shops near by that we should hit, and what might be available.

Also any advise for near Orlando?

Thanks for any help we can get!

Cheers!

2. Best piece of advice:
    Find a way to come in to Tampa Friday 3/8 in the morning.
    Go to Peg's barrel-aged festivities on 3/8.
    Go to Hunahpu Day on 3/9.
    Tell stories about all the wonderful beers you drank in 48 glorious hours while in Orlando for work.

ATLhophead likes this.
  3. baybum

Wish I could! Sounds amazing. Hoping to make it to Huna day some year.

4. wscaffe

wscaffe Savant (345) Florida May 6, 2011

There is a Total Wine and a Whole Foods located 30 seconds from CCB. You can literally walk there. That should take care of all of your bottle needs.

Cheers,
    Prescott

5. baybum

Anyone interested in an IP trade - I can bring you beers from PA,NJ,DE or CA Distribution. Nugget Nectar, Flower Power, BCBS, Tired Hands, Alesmith, Russian River, Bruery, Keen River, Founders, FW, plus things from "gots" page. Looking for any of my wants, but especially a Hunahpu from the release we will have just missed:(

BM if interested.

6. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Nightlife around Pegs? I doubt it. You'd probably have to hit up downtown St. Pete for any action there.

If you are looking for bottle shops, as always Luekens in Dunedin and Total Wine on Dale Mabry right by CCB will serve your needs. CCB itself has some stuff in the coolers in the tasting room as well.

7. HOPSHUNTER

HOPSHUNTER Zealot (80) Florida May 23, 2009

If it were me and I could only do two, I would do 7venth Sun and CCB and Leave Peg's for another trip. 7venth Sun will have more of their beers on tap plus you have the added bonus of having Dunedin Brewery right around the corner. One thing to consider is Peg's closes very early on Tuesdays 9pm and they won't open again till 5pm the next day plus, they can be finicky about their growler fills if they're at all busy they won't fill any growlers from like 6-8pm during the week or 9pm on weekends. Peg's is in a town called Gulfport and there's not much there especially late night but with a short drive you could do downtown St. Pete (lots to do), The Ale and Witch, or Willard's Tap House (probably Tampa Bay area's best tap house).

As for bottle shops, Total Wine and Whole Foods aren't always my favorite but they will do and they are the best choice for your route. In Orlando you can also hit (and I strongly recommend) Knightly Spirits. Let me know if you need any more info/tips.

8. HOPSHUNTER

HOPSHUNTER Zealot (80) Florida May 23, 2009

Almost forgot, as it stands right now you wouldn't be able to visit Rapp Brewing, it's somewhat along your route and def worth a stop (from Pegs to CCB) but his tasting room days/hours are very short. However, he just announced that by the end of this week he is going to release his new extended tasting room hours so, who knows maybe you'll get a chance to visit it would be worth your time even just for a quick beer.

9. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

From what I hear, the "nightlife" place to go is Mons Venus in Tampa. Assuming you're into ladies.

10. Added bonus, you keep it in the CCB family, sorta.

11. Bluecane

Joey's dad or something, right?

12. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Yup, Joe Redner.

13. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 25, 2012

14. DigitalV

DigitalV Aspirant (35) Florida Jan 30, 2013

In Orlando you should check out Redlight Redlight. Awesome craft beer bar.

kpanter likes this.
  15. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 25, 2012

I will 2nd that for Orlando. Redlight Redlight is a great place. Also, I would check out Tap & Grind, which is located downtown and only serves American craft beer. They usually have beers from the east coast, and almost always have something from CCB on tap. BM me when you all are in Orlando, and we can grab a brew. Cheers!

johnyb likes this.
  16. baybum

Thanks everyone for the info, it's a huge help. I can't wait for this trip, and trying some of these amazing beers. If anyone is up for some IP trades for Hunahpu let me know as I can bring beer from Philly or California.

Cheers

Ray

17. Bluecane

Which, coincidentally, also sounds like a strip club.

18. DigitalV

DigitalV Aspirant (35) Florida Jan 30, 2013

Would even better. A craft beer strip club. Unfortunately Orlando is one of the last places I would go to trip clubs.

19. Knightly's is a shop that's worth stopping by in Orlando, great selection there.

DanKraft likes this.
  20. DanKraft

DanKraft Aficionado (100) Florida Oct 11, 2009

What kpatner said.

Also, come into Tap & Grind on a Saturday night and ask for Dan. I'll give you the VIP treatment.

21. Does that include getting to throw out the downtown street walkers that want to use the bathrooms?!

22. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I love Peg's no doubt about it, but I'd have to agree with the suggestion to head to Seventh Sun and Willards Tap House, then maybe head down to St. Petersburg for some nightlife. Ale and The Witch has some quality live music occasionally as well as great tap line up.

23. If you decide to go to 7venth Sun, and I recommend you do, go to Leuken's Liquor right down the street. Huge selection and hard to find stuff they don't have at Total Wine.

24. baybum

Our trip is next week. Anyone interested in an IP trade or meeting up for a bottle share?

Also any advise on what to do or where to drink would be great.