1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Knapp85, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

How often is this released? Would love to get some one day but I don't see much info about it on their website. Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

2. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

My only suggestion would be to give them a call directly and ask.

3. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

It was released once in growlers. 20 or 25 of them. Sold out in a few minutes. There were growlers sent out from a friend of the brewer well over a year ago is how the beer became known. It's usually on draft at Pegs a couple of times a year for special events like beer week. VERY freaking difficult to get unless you can go in and drink it on draft.

4. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I'm sure before the next time it gets released there will be talk about it on the forums here.

5. You mean like for the March 8th release?

6. Bingo...the Friday before Hunahpu day:)

7. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

They haven't announced a release. The beer will be on draft that day. They hinted that their may be growlers. This last time they "hinted" at growlers me and several other friends got dick since the were only 20 of them and about 50 people waiting in line for a non-release. I'm not falling for that again and driving an hour and a half each way to get another anal molestation.

8. Wait so they're doing Rare this time? I thought it was another batch of RareR. What's the difference between those two?

9. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

RareR is Rum Barrels...

10. Rare= whiskey barrel
    RareR= rum barrel

11. Rumors from Cycle Brewings FB that on March 8th at their BA Day they will have both Rare and RareR.

12. Ah gotcha. RareR sounds a lot more interesting.

13. jrcmlc

jrcmlc Savant (290) Illinois Aug 8, 2011

I was thinking of doing Huna, if I'm going to do that, I might as well come a little early and do this too I guess. What's the setup? 1st come 1st served for the barrel day, or ?

14. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

They already said no growlers on the barrel-aged day, March 8th. All taps, starting at noon.

15. MADPolo

They start at noon, and usually have something good tapped at noon for the early folks. Either way, they start at noon and start tapping. As the specialty kegs kick (like Rare), they usually throw next specialty one on and so on and so forth throughout the day/night.

16. jrcmlc

Oh man, that sounds good. I think the bottle share deal is full, though, which sucks, but if I do huna, I'll definately do this...

17. MADPolo

Last time, the list was crazy. Seriously, if you are in the area, even with them not doing growlers, you owe it to your inner beer geek self to get out and taste everything they put on tap. The food is damn good as well.

My favorite's from the last party were the wine-barrel aged stout, Funky D.O.S. and the sour.

18. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

I prefer the RareR over Rare but both are pretty solid.

19. FYI: They are taking table reservations. I grabbed mine for noon. If you are thinking about going I would call and see if they have any reservations left. Here is Cycle Brewings FB post:

Official Announcement: Barrel Aged Day! March 8th.

The tap list will be announced later, everything is still in the barrels right now so it would be foolish to promise certain beers.
    Rare DOS, RareR DOS will be making an appearance most likely, as well as the release of our latest collaboration with Wakefield, a Dulce de Leche imperial porter.
    The taps will start at noon, this is not a grow
    ler release event like 12/21/12 unfortunately (we originally hoped it would be), Rare DOS will have its own day when we open our new location in downtown St. Pete. Updates on that to follow, like when our location actually is official.
    We have said it twice before, showing up at noon might be in your interest. Just *cough* maybe.
    Also tentative plans for 4/20 Berliner Bash this year...

20. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

Anyone opened one of the Growlers of RareR DoS from 12/21 recently? How's it tasting, I'm trying to get an event together to open mine with a couple of friends but schedules are tight and i'm trying to figure out how long the growler i have might last.

21. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

I opened one recently and thought it was fantastic. I've never had it fresh, so I can't provide a direct comparison. That said, it seems to be holding on just fine.

22. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

Thanks, i was hoping it wouldn't be too affected by the couple of months, i plan on drinking it within the next couple of weeks, it's just been difficult getting everyone together. Cheers!

23. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

They should bottle this and sell it for $50 a bomber through a liquor store that ships. It would be gone in a day.

24. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Savant (275) Florida Jun 30, 2011

The Funky D.O.S. was my personal favorite last time, and I had all of them, lol. It was just so different. PEGs is a great place year round. I definitely second the suggestion to try it if you're ever in the Tampa area. There should still be some bottles of RareR floating around ;) , so get some while you can.

25. jrcmlc

Where would those bottles be floating? ;-)