Pennsylvania approves gas stations for 6-pack sales

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Ranbot, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Interesting news for beer buyers in PA... The PLBC approved nine gas station locations to be allowed to sell beer in 6-packs. Don't hold your breath through... the PLBC's decision is being challenged in court, and the approved stores need to reorganize meet other beer sales requirements (separate area, separate registers, food, etc.)

More info: http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/six-packs_gas_stations_approve.html

I'm sure we'll be seeing more news articles on this...

OGShotzy, GenericForumName and Mmmkcr like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am awaiting the announcement of "PA finally approves reform of alcohol laws".

A man can dream can't he!?!:confused:

@utopiajane

Cheers!

kliend, Donco, paulys55 and 1 other person like this.
  3. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Separate registers...even at a gas station. :astonished:
    PA is an embarrassment to the union.

kliend, thepenguin, Donco and 2 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Which union are you referring to? The UFCW!?!:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

5. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

It's a start, though it will be a while until we get more fuel stops on board...

6. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I tried to share this story as Beer News, but I didn't know there was a thread here already. Yeah, this is a step in the right direction for PA's backwards ass beer laws. If and when PA finally starts selling beer at stores or bottle shops I may seriously consider moving there.

7. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Just do what I did and live near the border. I live in PA but rarely buy beer there (only if it's something I can't get in the bordering state).

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  8. Ranbot

Pooh-Bah Society

To be honest, since getting beer sales at grocers and 12-pack sales at distributors, in addition to the bottle shops that were always around I'm satisfied with things as they are now. Although if I didn't live in SEPA where there are lots of options I might have a different opinion. I did notice that none of the new gas station locations approved for beer sales are in the SEPA area. Only the idealistic free enterprise supporter in me thinks beer in gas stations is a good thing and maybe that's enough of a reason, but in the same spirit I would want regulations on distributors to be lessened too.

9. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Reform! Reform! Reform!

Cheers!

10. jojo2112

I get what you're saying, but the problem is those bottle shops and grocers are so damn expensive on the craft side of things. That's why unless it's something I can't get in PA, I just travel a few extra miles to MD and pay 25% or more less.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. Ranbot

Pooh-Bah Society

For purchases less than a case you're absolutely right... we pay a lot more for the smaller quantities. However PA distributor prices are very competitive and usually cheaper than our neighboring states, even DE, if you don't mind a full case... Trade-offs.

Dando274 and drtth like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Randy, that is sometimes the situation but not always. PA has a 'hidden tax' of the Johnstown Flood Tax (enacted in 1936 to help Johnstown at that timeframe) of 18% which applies to all alcoholic beverages sold in PA (beer, wine, spirits). I have seen case prices cheaper in neighboring states. I am not personally a regular consumer of Yuengling beer but a case of Yuengling is cheaper at Total Wine & More (Delaware) than my local beer distributors.

We do indeed have a great selection of beer in our area but I am personally not going to 'advertise' we have economical prices. Maybe your area is different from mine?

Cheers!

kliend likes this.
  13. ThunderChunk

ThunderChunk Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

I might be biased because I live near Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting (cheap, fresh, great selection) but the only thing I see being accomplished here is that more out of code beer will be sitting on shelves. I guess the point I am trying to make is that why do we need beer everywhere?

jrnyc likes this.
  14. jojo2112

This has been my experience as well (I'm in south central PA). Even 12 pack/case prices are generally 8%-10% cheaper in MD than they are in my area of PA. Perfect example - I recently bought a case of 21st Amendment Down to Earth in MD for $34. In PA I've seen it from $40 to as much as $44. And forget about buying a six pack at a bottle shop.

Tmwright7 and JackHorzempa like this.
  15. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Zealot (748) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well putting 6 packs at my local gas station will cut my commute to go buy beer in half... but what are the odds the choices will be something worth drinking? Probably slim to none.

16. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I already live near the border, but on the NY side. Haha. You do have a good point, though, but if I were to move to PA I think I'd want to live around Philly or another major city.

17. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Zealot (707) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Found Bourbon County in Erie. That was weird.

Adrena1ine likes this.
  18. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Everything I've ever read about the Johnston Flood Emergency Tax is that it is applied only to the wine and spirits sold through the PLCB state store system. Granted, too many articles say it applies to all "liquor" or "alcohol" sold in PA.

drtth likes this.
  19. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Ranbot likes this.
  20. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Flood tax is on wine and spirits and paid on purchase at the state stores, which is where it is collected and sent in to the state. If you want to know why it hasn't been repealed and has been increased more than once in the 70+ years since that flood, look to the PA general fund and follow the money.

#20 drtth, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.