1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Perennial Artisan Ales Barrel Aged ABRAXAS

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Chuck5315, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

CLCardinal84 likes this.
  2. So many lulz

3. keirhaug

keirhaug Aficionado (130) Missouri Dec 12, 2006

Wow. This guy was truly the exception. Everyone I know got their 6 and that was that.

4. claspada

claspada Advocate (650) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

One more reason why the way Alepine does their releases now is the only way to go. Brown paper ticket orders and only being able to pick up your bottles with a matching ID to your order. It rewards locals, enforces the bottle limits and prevents any sort or shenanigans like waiting in lines in freezing weather. Every brewery NEEDS to do this to prevent the above described hoarding.

5. The line was pretty fun though

6. I am looking forward to the BA Coffee Stout release that should be a great beer.

7. People are going to find a way around any system, it's pretty much inevitable. Like keir said, this guy was definitely the exception. Everyone I know bought 6 even if they wanted less and hooked up people who didn't make it. I'd say the locals got rewarded pretty well. It's also on tap today and tomorrow so anyone local that really wants to try the beer probably is not going to miss out.

8. mahak213

mahak213 Savant (325) New York Mar 5, 2012

I saw him asking to trade on the ISO:FT group on FB. I hope he gets stuck with all 60 bottles, and winds up hating it.

VonZipper and arniepnminne like this.
  9. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

edit-already posted

10. keirhaug

I fear this may be a problem with future Perennial limited releases.

11. rschne13

rschne13 Aficionado (165) Missouri Jul 23, 2009

Totally agree. In retrospect I remember seeing two or three people in line that looked totally oblivious and way out of place (i.e. they were asked off the street in passing).

arniepnminne likes this.
  12. Call him out.

BearsBrotsBulls likes this.
  13. Nah, I doubt it changes anything. He may not have gotten all 60 bottles. I think its a collective from the Chicago crew and the mules. So in reality, they didn't get that many. But this guy was bragging like they were all his.

14. Ohhhhh they did

mahak213 likes this.
  15. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

most ludicrous FB beer group thread yet.

16. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

It's a shame because it was a beer friend's b-day and he was shut out. Sucks I won't get a bottle, but it's shitty for some of the locals that didn't get something.

17. I'm pissed that I am a racist. Damnit.

18. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (570) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

I highly doubt the guy bought 60 bottles ($1200+) for himself/trades. He had to be representing some crew from Chicago.

And let me just say that this wouldn't be the first time a BA from Chicago has enlisted homeless people to scam the system. I have personally witnessed this behavior from one of their better known BA's.

Important to remember as some have pointed out that this is the exception, not the rule. Also important to remember that you really don't know anyone on here until you meet them: they may be popular users, but that doesn't mean they are above the muck.

huadog, Shilt, VonZipper and 4 others like this.
  19. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Am I out of line for questioning the 6 bottle per person limit? Would have thought 2 might be more appropriate considering the demand...

RyanSTL likes this.
  20. keirhaug

The generosity of MOST people who got bottles was amazing. It's a pretty tight-knit community in StL and I'm fairly certain most anyone who wanted a bottle got a bottle. Many of my bottles are going to friends who couldn't get there.

21. keirhaug

I don't think you are out of line, but this was Perennial's first big release. And while most people expected it to sell out quickly, no one anticipated someone hiring that many mules. They'll figure out a system that works.

22. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

WWJD? (jerry)

23. Lkoro

Lkoro Aficionado (200) Illinois Aug 29, 2009

My two friends showed up at 3:15 and were told by 3:30 it was sold out even though they said it began at 4pm. They were told that tickets were given out earlier in the day. I don't remember hearing or reading anything about tickets being given out so people could leave and come back.

I think with that many people they should have cut the allotment from six, especially since I was told there was a big write-up in the newspaper a few days before. Reminds me of 2010 Dark Lord Day when the media made a big deal about it and then every jackass and their sister showed up just to get DL and tried to sell it.

24. jefeld

25. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,015) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

If you're going to call someone out, just do it. Otherwise myself and hundreds of other 'regular' Chicago-area BAs have to deal with misguided suspicion and soiled reputations. I've seen line-cutting, juggalo mules, and all kinds of system-gaming in every corner of this country; it's not limited by geography.

26. Amen. The fact is, there are assholes everywhere, but one or two assholes shouldn't ruin the reputation of everyone who is honest or plays by the book.

MarkIntihar and hooliganlife like this.
  27. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

FWIW, I know an expansive chunk of the "Chicago crew" and I have no fucking clue who he is

::golf claps::

Well said sir.

28. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Additionally, the dude bragging on FB is from Pennsylvania, so leave Chicago outta this

cnbrown313, black13 and Retail1LO like this.
  29. jefeld

tnudish i think the PA person is a troll, but that chicago is indeed part of this

Retail1LO and arniepnminne like this.
  30. I stand corrected. The guys looked familiar and knew Phil, I assumed.

31. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

I heard all bottles were already claimed by 230 PM. I think 6 bottle limit is no limit at all really.

32. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Perennial was telling people it was a case limit, up until the week before release. At least they dropped it from 12 to 6.

33. nharres

nharres Savant (305) Illinois Feb 8, 2012

Central Waters dropped their limit to 4 for Fifteen and people bitched, Perennial kept their limit at 6....and people bitched. No way to please everyone.

black13, Retail1LO, seeswo and 3 others like this.
  34. 6 bottles was more than fair, I think 4 would be fair

RyanSTL, arniepnminne and JoEBoBpr like this.
  35. JoEBoBpr

Damn. I didn't know that. An improvement for sure but six still lends itself to hoarding.

36. ACESFULL

ACESFULL Aficionado (110) Illinois Sep 13, 2011

Where did you hear this? FWIW limits, cost etc weren't realeased until the 14th.

37. keirhaug

I wondered the same thing, but then found this posting from Cory dated January 3:

BA Abraxas is SLATED for Jan 24th release. This should be pretty accurate.

As for limits, bottles, pricing...

As of last that I heard, we are not distributing this beer, it will be brewery only. Meaning that all of our local fans will not have a problem getting some.

Limits - I doubt it.

Bottle Count - We will see when we bottle it, but a very rough estimate is 60 cases 720 bottles, tasting room only. Wont be a problem getting one guys.

Pricing - I dont think that it has been set yet, but Im pretty sure that its NOT going to be $79.99 [​IMG].

Ill keep you guys posted!

Cheers.

38. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

he was definitely trolling to incite a reaction by claiming they were all his (which was wildly successful if you saw that thread), although it seems like "someone" did leave with 60 bottles. for how many people or whatever seems a little unclear.

39. JoEBoBpr

STLHops had this followe-up post on Jan 15.

Barrel Aged Abraxas will be released on Jan 24th at the brewery.
    • $23 a bottle.
    • 6 bottle limit.
    • Sales will start when we open the doors.
    • We expect a line to form before opening, so our plan is to have someone on our team stand outside and as people arrive, we will ask you how many bottles you want, fill out a ticket, sign it and hand it to you. This will prevent the risk of pushing in the bar and line cutters.
    • We will continue to do this at the front door until we sell out.
    • We will be selling the bottles in the cellar of the brewery (plenty of room) and since you will have a ticket, there will be no worrying about us running out.
    • We will be tapping one 1/6 barrel on Thursday at 6 pm, Friday at 4 pm, and Saturday at noon.

40. wilkins44

wilkins44 Disciple (50) Missouri May 1, 2011

I wish this would have been the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.