1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Perfectly balanced IPA's

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I'm not a huge IPA fan mainly because the ones I have had are too hop heavy and bitter and I want ones that are more balanced. I just had Racer 5 for the first time and wow, to me this was perfectly balanced. I need some more perfectly balanced IPA's now.
    hagbergl likes this.
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Drive, trade or maybe even beg for some Two Hearted.
  3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

You realize that this is almost completely relate to individual palates, right?
  4. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (860) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Hate to be Mister Obvious, but Heady Topper really is incredibly balanced.
    DevilsCups, Hopsiam14 and DaftCaskBC like this.
  5. No, I dont want grapefruit bombs. I want IPAs where the malt has more of a presence.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  6. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

So you want something other than an IPA?
  7. From what I can see with a quick scan of Seekabrew, I'd say that Southern Tier IPA is a good place to start. Their 2XIPA is also not too bitter, with a better aroma too.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo might also fit the bill- it's got a decent malt backbone.
    Revenant likes this.
  8. No I want something like Racer 5.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Seriously, I get more balance from DIPA's than I do from IPA's.
  10. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

"Balanced" is usually a euphemism for "too malty" for me. When in doubt: add ALL the hops!
  11. AdamP

AdamP Savant (370) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Dogfish Head 60 (and 90, really) minute IPA. Or just buy 'hoppy' IPAs that are a few months old...
    Kerrie likes this.
  12. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Two Hearted and Pliny are well-balanced similar to Racer 5. Firestone Walker Union Jack might also meet your needs.
  13. IPA with huge malt balance is called Barleywine, right?
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

NOT this. Hops do not fade in a vacuum. What you'll get is an imbalanced mess that bears no resemblance to what the brewer wanted you to taste.
    dar482 likes this.
  15. Yeah Im not a huge IPA fan YET but I respect them of course and I would only want ones that are fresher. Buying an older ipa and hoping the hops have faded just because I dont like it really hoppy is NOT something I would ever do. I wouldnt disrepect beer like that.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Ok, lets be reasonable here. If you don't like super hoppy beers, and you enjoy more malt, lets take it down a notch, I'm suggesting mirror pond pale ale and firestone walker DBA.
  17. I tend to agree that for my taste "balanced" means too malty to me. Torpedo was definitely too malty for my liking although I did enjoy Racer 5.
  18. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have no idea why people are dismissing the thought of a very well balanced IPA, they certainly exist and really are not all that rare. I understand that one my not enjoy a balanced example of the style but to dismiss it completely is bit ignorant.
  19. Many neophytes say the same thing when they first are introduced to IPAs. Then their palates change. I used to say the same thing in my early reviews.

Beertunes once told me: hops are like hot sauce.

I suggest just trying as many IPAs as you can. Pretty soon your palate will change and you will come to enjoy amazing beers that you once thought were "unbalanced".

Just like how the first time I tried Russian River Consecration I thought it was too sour, now I think its amazing.
    FondueVoodoo and Rutager like this.
  20. Yeah Ive had SN Torpedo many times. I wouldnt say its perfectly balanced but its a decent beer.
    19etz55 likes this.
  21. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Lagunitas Maximus is a sweet, malty DIPA. Their regular IPA is less sweet and malty and not as hoppy/bitter as many IPAs.
    FondueVoodoo and Revenant like this.
  22. Malt forward IPAs that come to mind include Hopworks IPA and Anderson Valley's IPAs.
    FondueVoodoo likes this.
  23. priwen

priwen Savant (345) Arkansas Apr 1, 2007

I think Tallgrass IPA would be a good one to try.
  24. I'd try that one anyway just for the awesome looking can.
  25. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

"Jai Alai"................ by cigar city!
  26. Palates differ but while HT is fantastic, I wouldn't suggest it as the poster DIPA for balance...
  27. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Kane Head High IPA
    Port Brewing Wipe Out IPA
    Harpoon IPA
    Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
    Dog Fish Head 60 Minute IPA
    Brekinridge Small Batch 471 IPA
    Troegs Perpetual IPA
    Long Trail Double IPA

There are IPA's that don't bomb out.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  29. 19etz55

2X is great!
    Shagator likes this.
  30. Big Sky IPA reminds me of Racer 5. Give it a try.
  31. Like was said above, I also highly recommend Firestone Walker Double Jack. It's an Imperial IPA, but it maintains incredible balance. It's also pretty available as long as Firestone Walker distributes to your state.
    1up and Auror like this.
  32. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Had my very first Sculpin last weekend. I must admit, it's as good as Pliny IMO...
  33. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (860) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I absolutely would. To be fair, I just did. It's the most balanced (D)IPA I've ever had, and I've had one or two. Can you suggest a more balanced IPA I could try for comparison?

You've piqued my interest.
  34. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Seconding those. Also seconding ST 2XIPA. Another favorite of mine is Founders Centennial, if you can get that in your area. I also liked Hopslam when I had it on tap but that's already off the shelves this year, it seems.
  35. To quote the late Michael Jackson on his (belated) birthday: "In whatever style, the elements should find their own balance. A hoppy beer should not simply be harshly bitter...."

EDIT: and yes, get some Two Hearted.
  36. ok,
    I'll take the bait:

PtE (you're out of your mind to call HT more balanced but...to be passive agressive, to each their own ;-P)
    PtY (not fair or apples to apples but...)
    Alpine's Bad Boy & Pure Hoppiness.
    Fresh Dreadnaught...well above 8% but still balance of malt to hops on par in which I'd still take before HT.
    ABNER, nuff said.

For the record...I'm not knocking HT. I very much so like that beer. It just doesn't do for me what it does for everyone else on here...

Cheers!
  37. There are no facts, only interpretations. -Nietzsche
  38. Boulevard make balanced IPA's
  39. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Why not look for some English IPAs?
    decimator and Crusader like this.
  40. There are no facts, only interpretations. -Nietzsche​
    BobZ, ILOVESTOUTS and dachshunddude86 like this.
  41. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

If you can find it I guess I would recommend Fuller's India Pale Ale. Fuller's can do no wrong as far as I am concerned.
    CwrwAmByth likes this.