Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Perlick 525 faucet leaking

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by fatsquirrel, Dec 6, 2012.

1. My 525's leaking. I've had it for about a year, and have cleaned it regularly, disassembling, soaking, and brushing in between kegs.

I'm getting a leak from the top of the bonnet after each pour. I can usually get it to stop by wiggling the tap handle, but it's still annoying.

Also had a leak at the rear of the faucet at the connection to the shank that I fixed by tightening the coupling nut up.

I've read of similar experiences that others have had, but this is frustrating -- great faucet otherwise, but why these problems?

I called Perlick to ask for replacement washers, and was told by a technician that this faucet should not be disassembled during cleaning, but rather, soaked assembled.

Anyone with similar experiences? Seems like this faucet has a few design issues, or that it's just plain finicky.

2. cracker

cracker Savant (405) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

Mine does the same thing and I just coughed it up to a bad o-ring(s). Even by swapping them out, I still occasionally have the same problem. I don't like the 525 that much and am glad I have two 425s which I much prefer. Regarding keeping it assembled while cleaning, I think that's ridiculous. The only way to thoroughly clean it is by disassembling it IMO.

3. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (470) California May 19, 2006 Subscriber

Lost 1/5th of a keg to one of the 525s, it's that damn foam feature. Too easy to leave it pushed too far when a bit inebriated (especially when it's a guest that isn't used to the "feature"). I still swear by Perlicks, but won't get the 525s again.