1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Persica blend 1 & 2 thoughts

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by dhbiker0889, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Recently tried both of the blends of Persica that were released and was curious about some other peoples opinions on them. After reading some of the recent hads posted it looked like there was some disappointment from some people. I had very high expectations from them ( as I always do from crooked stave) and enjoyed them both. By no means my favorite cellar reserve release this year but just looking for a few other opinions.
  2. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

To me #1 is closer in flavor to the one from last year, but the peach notes definitely aren't as strong. The "gamey" brett character is a little stronger, though.
    I love #2 and think it has a bready sweetness that's unlike most other sour beers. It's rich and the fruit kicks in a little with the finish, but it's not too strong.
    It'll be interesting to see what becomes of both with a little time.
    Last year's Persica was one for the ages and neither seems to be the same beer that one was, but I still adore blend #2 nearly as much.

In terms of favorites, I still think Cherry BA Origins takes the cake.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  3. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Blend 1 is the WWBO base, right?
  4. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (380) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

Is Cherry BA Origins your favorite? Still waiting to crack one of mine.
  5. Domingo

I'm not sure. I'm sure there are others here who do.

Yup. It's my favorite CS beer to date, even over last year's Persica. The Raspberry Origins is also wonderful. For that matter, I love all of the Origins beers. I think they could probably use that base with almost anything and I'd love it. The Cherry BA is definitely my fave, though.
  6. I would have to agree that the Cherry was my favorite from this years release. Having not had last years Persica I was just curious to hear from others who had.
  7. I have heard about a heavy butter flavor in both blend 1 and blend 2. I have not tried either bottle, so its speculation for me at this time. Anyone have this experiences with a buttery flavor in blend 1 or blend 2 of Persica?
  8. What's it take to land a batch one or something like Walezblood? I have some Wulver and Black Tuesday and a Hunahpu coming in. Would any of those be able to score a bottle?
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  9. Domingo

I thought blend 2 was super bready...but not buttery. I know some palates have overlap with those characteristics. Not sure if this beer was brewed at Prost, but that bready character is usually something that I'd associate with decocion mashed German beers...not a sour brett-based beer.
  10. ig88b

ig88b Aficionado (215) Missouri Jun 18, 2009

I still haven't had any, but am going to Denver this weekend to pick up my haul. I hope it's not buttery.

I wouldn't let my last bottle of Batch 1 go for that, but that's just me.
  11. Thats great news to hear!
  12. Domingo

They sold Batch One in the tasting room for a while, so there should be a few around...however because it is AMAZING, it's not an easy trade to make :p I wish I still had one.
  13. bird22

bird22 Savant (415) California Jan 2, 2011

We opened 2 of each blend (from different memberships) last Saturday and everyone got tons of diacetyl from both, with Batch 2 being really bad. We ended up drain pouring half a bottle of Blend 2. Picked some up in L'Brett D'Or as well. Hopefully it is just bottle variation, or that it smooths out in the bottle over the next couple weeks.
  14. Interesting - I had the same thing happen with a bottle of St. Bretta Fall this past weekend. It was like a buttered popcorn Jelly Belly. It had been a long time since I had to drain pour, but man, I just could not finish that beast. Hopefully this isn't a trend.
  15. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Yes. Both blends in 4 different bottles. The most disappointing beer I have ever had. I couldn't finish the bottle. Down the drain it went.
  16. Peach Whiskey Surette had some diacetyl type buttery flavors when first released, but it's all but gone now.

Every CS beer gets better with age, IMO.

I didn't get any in the new Persica. Agree with @Domingo 's assessment of blend 2. Blend 1 is more tart and has a better nose. Blend 2 has a more earthy peach characteristic.
  17. It's going to be tough to pry away a batch one from anybody. That and Bourbon Cherry Origins are the best beers CS has ever bottled, IMO. I like both even more that batch 1 Persica.
  18. wowzers
  19. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

im still taking razz dark origins over cherry by a hair, but only a hair. razz dark is probably my favorite CS beer ever bottled, but thats also hard to say.

persica blend 1 and l'brett d'or release 1 and 2 are all diacetyl bombs on my palate. cracked a d'or batch 1 to compare to batch 2 after the members party and it hadnt smoothed out the butter yet, just shy of a year since purchase.

i would agree that given persica's reputation that blend 1 in particular is a huge disappointment and that blend 2 is in the lower tier of this years releases, though better than blend 1.

i would reconsider my membership in 2015 if disappointments like this continue through the significant-price-increase of 2014 and im a pretty big CS fanboy, preaching their gospel most places i go and to all with whom i drink.
  20. omgeezo

omgeezo Zealot (75) Colorado Apr 22, 2013

The two bottles of blend 1 Ive had have been drastically different. The second bottle opened was poured down the drain. Butter from start to finish
  21. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

I wonder if this is the reason Persica wasn't ready earlier on. Will the butter flavor go away over time or will it get worse?
  22. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Are they bottled with live yeast (brett)? If so, then it might go down. If not, then it will probably get worse with time.
  23. I had some heavy diacetyl/butter going on in a couple of my peach whiskey surettes. It's has been mostly chewed up by the bugs, or there's just some decent bottle fluctuation, because they're drinking nicely now. I'm also starting to think this is just some sort of house terrior coming through in anything with peaches. Who knows, but age certainly won't harm any of this years reserve beers.
  24. guyforget

frankly, age has not helped d'or batch 1 so.... im not incredible optimistic.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  25. I had no complaints on any L' Brett d or batch 1 at all.
    LotsofLupulin, franklinn and MarkyMOD like this.
  26. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I had a L'Brett D'or Batch 1 a couple of weeks ago and it was one of my favorite beers in recent memory. Stored in a dark, temperature and humidity controlled cellar at 57 degrees for the last year, though, so perhaps that may explain others' different experience.
  27. guyforget

i doubt a few degrees in cellar temp is changing the diacetyl properties in a beer that was a diacetyl bomb from day one, but mine sits around 60 most of the year.

i remember sending out a trade w/ a few in it when it was first released and warning my trading partner that it was a diacetyl bomb. he still loved it, but its always been this way.
  28. Is Crooked Stave doing any recall of these "butter bomb" Persica's?

Has Crooked Stave even acknowledging the problem yet?
  29. I can cofirm this with the St Bretta Fall. It was like drinking buttered popcorn. And the crisp carb/mouthfeel found in spring and summer St bretta was also missing.
  30. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

I noticed a huge variance between the tap version of St. Bretta Fall and the bottle version. I had the tap version at the old barrel cellar on the first or second day of its release and thought it was decent. I bought a bottle when it hit stores like a week later and my wife and I both thought: Huh? What happened?

Re Persica, I have had two small tastes from two separate bottles (both blend 1) and there was a pretty good variance between the two, but I did not think either was a full-on butter bomb.
  31. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

This is cute, who is selling him pot?

You're kidding right? They just raised prices almost 30% for the membership then did the same for bottle prices. Everything is fine, nothing to see here. See Sentinence response aka suck it .
  32. coreymcafee

You been drinking again, Poon?
    poonamibaxter likes this.
  33. I am think that is the case.
  34. I know I'm even more sour about this at the moment (no pun intended,) Cigar City just sent an email to their El Catador members showing how this is supposed to be handled (mind you, I understand that the email was sent out before the beer went up for sale rather than issues cropping up after the sale had taken place):

We are bummed to report that we will be cancelling the sales for Amplitude tomorrow for El Catador Club.

This decision was made when our lab found some strains of lactobacillus on the plates swabbed from our brite tank, the vessel used to carbonate the beer shortly before bottling. Lactobacillus is great for our Berliner Weisse and the upcoming Sour Guava Grove, as it aids in souring the beer. In Amplitude, a big rich barrel-aged doppelbock, it'd be a disaster.

We are going to stress test some bottles and see if there are any more signs of infection. Hopefully it was just a minor scare, but until we know for sure, Amplitude bottle sales are cancelled.
    OtisCampbell and MarkyMOD like this.
  35. guyforget

unintentionally infecting a dopplebock w/ lacto and selling sour beers w/ some diacetyl arent really in the same game....

i mean, i see what youre saying, but diacetyl is a natural part of the process, not the result of some unintended infection.
  36. is waelzblood still good and not buttery?
  37. coreymcafee

Yes. I've had it recently and it's quite good. Definitely more sour but still super tasty.
  38. have you had atrial rubicite?
  39. coreymcafee

Indeed.
  40. which one did you like more?