Comment Personal Greatest +/- rDev and highest/lowest rating

Discussion in 'Site' started by gillagorilla, Apr 25, 2013.

1. So far:

+15.5% with a 5 for Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary (it was at a bar and before I took notes, but it was the first of that night and it is damn near perfection if you ask me, with all its complexity) That is also my only 5 and thus highest rating. Out of reviews it is Bigfoot with +11.5% for a 4.65. I really need to go out and stock up on them. That was my first one and I really want to try them with age. It really tastes like a top-notch IPA when it is had fresh.

-31% with a 2.18 for Sobrehumano Palena'ole by Maui w/ Jolly Pumpkin (drain poured into a beer bread mix)

p.s. I realize that the highest rating and lowest rating will most likely coincide with your greatest +/- rDevs.

2. These are called beer bread mix pours. Haven't you seen all the "First beer bread mix pour" threads?

SadMachine and kemoarps like this.
  3. Nope, I haven't seen one yet. Are they usually in the main Beer Talk forum?

4. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Highest rDev = +67.4% for Fischer's Desperados with a 3.9 rating.
    Lowest rDev = -67.9% for Strange Brewing's Paint It Black with a 1.23 rating.

Highest rating = 4.9 for Kaggen! Stormaktsporter. +5.4% rDev.
    Lowest rating = 1.0 for Budweiser Chelada. -51% rDev.

5. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Highest rating Palo Santo Maron - 4.73 tied with Boulvard Tank 7.
    Lowest rating - Oso Doe in Heat at 2.05.

Highest rDev - plus 20.7 for DFH Rasoin d'être and minus 38.7 for....drum roll...Oso Doe in Heat. Sorry WI.

Somebody please, please tell New Glarus to get some beers to Wisconsin Rapids restaurants. As a frequent visitor, I am virtually begging.

6. Where was this moved to?

7. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Highest Rating Dragons Milk 5
    Lowest Rating Drain Heady Topper 1

Highest rDev Fort +30.5%
    Lowest rDev Drain Heady Topper -78.8%

8. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (595) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

This is my highest, +41.3% (huuuuge +, but I have no idea why it has such a low rating on here!!) being Brother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale. That beer was one of my absolute favorites, heres my review on it. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/17498/?ba=alex_hart

My largest negative was -28.6% for Abita's Strawberry Harvest Lager. I just thought it tasted like a Bud Light with a hint of strawberry. Worthless, IMO.

9. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (605) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

Did you get a can that was more than a week or two old?

dfillius likes this.
  10. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale +18%

Switchback Russian Imperial Stout -28%

Man, you guys must truly hate Voodoo Doughnut beer! I only gave it a 3.5 and I was still 18% over.

11. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

You suck. I like that beer.

alex_hart likes this.
  12. alex_hart

You suck. I like that beer.[/quote]

Haha! Sorry! But at least there is more for you!

13. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

+10.6 Russian River segal select. Thought it was an extremely well crafted beer, though I wasn't super fond of the flavor it was still very good.

-16 Backwoods bastard. Seems totally unbalanced to me, like sugar in bourbon. Totally not a fan.

slim2043 likes this.
  14. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

No just didn't like it. Think it had too many hops only time I ever spit out beer.

15. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Haha! Sorry! But at least there is more for you![/quote]

Very true!

16. Highest rDev: +23.8% BJ's Restaurant and Brewery Hopstorm IPA (Rated 4)

Lowest rDev: -48.5% DFH Noble Rot French Oak Pinot Gris Barrel Aged (Rated 2)

I love DFH beers but there was something about that Pinot Gris Noble Rot that really turned me off.

17. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

Highest rDev: +23.6% Dogfish Head Fort

Lowest rDev: -45.7% Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager

Highest Rating: Firestone Walker Parabola - 5
    Lowest Rating: Lake Front Fuel Cafe Coffee Flavored Stout - 1.85

18. I couldn't agree more. Abita Strawberry is straight-up wretched

alex_hart likes this.
  19. Beerlover

Beerlover Savant (445) Minnesota Mar 15, 2012

+72.9%!! for Cold Spring's "Honey almond wiess" the problem with this beers low ratings was that for a number of years the cold spring brewery was making beer inconsistant, but recently they have had a brewery revamp, also i think people were getting this beer outdated and drinking it from a bottle! i had it in a can (canned beer is ALWAYS better!) and it was perfect for this style.

-53% for Sam Adams "Fat Jack double pumpkin ale" I like pumpkin beers but this thing was RUFF!! Pure liquid pumpkin pie in a glass! this was far too over spiced! there was 4 or 5 different spices in this where as they should have been 2 or 3.

20. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

+28.6% for Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout - Stone. I know that that one will make many bust laughing, but I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd rate it 4.5 if I had it again.
    -38.9% for Seismic IPA from SoCal Beer Company. From a tasting, I remember there being no real hop character, but just a bland, stale bitterness, and bland malt character. I'm inclined to believe that it was a bad batch or bottle.

21. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Highest Rating: Boulevard BBQ - 4.95
    Lowest Rating: Ommegang Rare Vos - 3.63

Highest rDev: Brooklyn Local #2 +20.2%
    Lowest rDev: Ommegang Rare Vos -10.8%

Yes, I am a shitty reviewer. And that is why I don't do it much.

22. alex_hart

you must try a tooonn of good beers to have your lowest be the Rare Vos!

JMS1512 likes this.
  23. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

There's a ton that I've had that would rank lower than Rare Vos, I'm just too lazy to review them. :D

alex_hart likes this.
  24. Throwback Hopstruck -60%
    Throwback Fat Alberta -58.2%
    Sam Adams Utopia -43.8%
    Hill Farmstead Susan -33%
    Shed IPA +27.5%

25. Couple big deviations for me:

HF Edward +13.1 (to me its the perfect beer)
    CCB Jai Alai +12.1

Sam Adams Merry Mischief -33.4
    Devil's Backbone Eight Point IPA -32.4%

26. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Highest rDev: +56.4% for Kaliber. Rated to style and found it superior to other low-alcohol beers I've had.
    Lowest rDev: -67.7% for Magic Hat #9. Apparently I really hated this beer...

Highest Rating: 4.83 (tie) for Founders CBS & Bell's Expedition Stout
    Lowest Rating: 1 (tie) for Bud Light Lime & Milwaukee's Best Ice. If I could rate lower than a '1', then Beast Ice would take top honors for my lowest-rated beer.

27. Highest rDev: +28% For Gordash Brewing Panic Attack
    Lowest rDev: -37.2% Karbach Sympathy for the Lager

Highest rated: 5 for Jesterking OG Black Metal
    Lowest rated: 2.25 for Karbach Sympathy for the Lager

28. Highest Rating: Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout (2012) - 5, +7.5%
    Lowest Rating: Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin - 2.9, -23.7% (I think I had a bad bottle, so I offer another option)
    New Belgium Lips of Faith Tart Lychee - 3.1, -21.9%

Highest rDev: Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Life and Limb - 4.73, +17.7%
    Lowest rDev: The two beers mentioned as lowest ratings, but other than that, Firestone Walker Union Jack - 3.75, -12.6%

29. frothyhead

frothyhead Savant (275) New Jersey Mar 14, 2007

Highest +rDev: Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) - BrewDog; 4.22/+50.7

There is a heavy bias against peaty beers on this site. I have no idea why, but I really like them. Also really liked the Schlafly single malt scotch ale, similar profile.

Highest -rDev: Andygator - Abita; 2.38/-32.2

This beer is god awful.

That said, I don't actually have nearly as many ratings on here as I've had beers, so I'm sure there would be quite a few others that deviated a bit. Taste is a brilliantly personal thing.

30. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Biggest positive Rdev- +74.7 for American Brewings Blonde.

Biggest negative Rdev- -65.6 for Cascade Bourbon Barrel Quad

Highest scores - 5.0 for North Coast Old Stock Ale and Unibrou La Fin du Monde.

Lowest score - 1 for Bud Select 55.

JMS1512 likes this.
  31. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

+69.8% for Labatt Blue at 4.5
    -5.7% for Spotted Cow at 3.5

32. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Victory at Sea +9.8%
    Night Stalker -69.5%... infected as fuck

33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hard to tell, since you don't review, but I am guessing from a glance at your hads
    1. You don't rate to style
    2. You dislike hoppy beers
    Just another reason I think hads ought not to be considered for overall scores of beer. At least if some person doesn't rate to style you can see something like "ugghh, I get all kinds of bitter and hoppy flavors in this IIPA" written when they give a world class beer a stunningly improper review.

Brenden, founder26, BrettHead and 2 others like this.
  34. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (555) California Dec 23, 2010

Tröegs Mad Elf 11.00 1 -74.2%
    Just can't do super sweet brews, had it once and had to give the bottle away after half a small glass.
    Every beer I have ranked really high or low I want to try again to see if I still feel that way. I had a 2013 Sucaba last night and didn't think it was nearly as great as I remembered.

35. Roguer

Roguer Champion (985) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I generally rate higher than others; I only have two negative rDevs. That said:

Lowest: Redd's Apple Ale, -9.4% rDev (also my lowest pure rating, at 2.4). Honestly, I'm stunned that a 2.4 is BELOW the average rating; I thought I was being quite generous. I'm actually tempted to go back and LOWER my review, rDev be damned; it's that bad.

Highest: Amstel Light, +40.2% (at only 3.38!). Apparently, a lot of people REALLY hate that beer! I do consider it better than "average" for the style (that style being mass-produced BMC-style lagers).

Highest Pure Rating: Westmalle Tripel, 4.75 (+10.2% rDev). This is absolutely one of my favorite beers.

36. Highest rDev for me: Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown - +23.1%
    I thought this was a fantastic example of a brown ale and the blast of hazelnut really added to it.

Lowest rDev: Newcastle Brown Ale - -42%
    I may have gotten a skunked bottle, but in my opinion, I think it's still valid to rate a skunked version of a beer that comes from across the pond in a clear bottle. They don't do the work to preserve their product. If that's not acceptable:

Next Lowest rDev: Firestone Walker Sucaba - -21%
    I thought it tasted like biting a bourbon barrel.

37. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Highest Rating: Rochefort 8 (5.0) - If I did full reviews, I'm sure this would probably end up getting an aggregate of a 4.85 or 4.9, but I just do hads...
    Lowest Rating: Miller 64 & MGD 64 (1.0) - Again, a full review might yield a 1.2 or 1.3 or something, but I can't justify giving this anything higher than the worst rating possible.

Highest rDev: Shock Top (+24.6%)
    2nd highest rDev: Hofbrau Muncher Weise (+22.7%)

Lowest rDev: Budweiser (-46.4%)

38. Petela

Petela Aficionado (165) New Jersey Mar 21, 2013

Highest: Chocolate Oak Aged yeti: +3.3%

Lowest: Southern Tier Choklat: - 14%

However, these are my only beer ratings on BA =/

39. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (735) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

+56.4 Presidente Light (Honorable mention to +36.8 for Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon....I love that beer...don't care what any of you say!! :p)
    -39.5 Bavaria Malt

40. +28.8 for Shipyard IPA , I like this beer

-28.3 for Innus and Gunn Original , I didn't like that beer