Peruvian Morning...off taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by averagejake872, Apr 12, 2012.

1. So I usually love CW's Peruvian Morning and consider it a more readily available alternative to KBS.

Unfortunately the last few I've opened have had an off taste to them, almost sour.

The roasty/chocolatey/bourbon vanilla flavors are being over powered by a tartness.

Is anyone else experiencing this or did I just come across a bad four pack?

2. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

I have not. Every one has been totally delicious. A notch below KBS IMO, but both stellar.

Storage issue maybe?

3. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I have not found any tartness in any of mine... but there is a detectable note of "mint" flavor...

4. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Sounds like the most delicious "off flavor" ever!

5. B33R501

B33R501 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania Jan 16, 2012

I bought a single which had sour notes (I did my review on that one) but the 4 Pak I bought yesterday was so incredible, lots of vanilla, and butter toffee flavor. So I get your point, but I did not mind the sour. One of this years best, and I like it better than KBS, much cheaper (I paid $11.50 for this 4, a ridiculous $9 for one KBS).

6. I have gone through about 3 4 packs, each one more delicious then the next. I still got about 2 4 packs left hope that gets me through to next season. I have noticed any tartness. I did a solo tasting with Peruvian Morning and KBS and came up with the theory that if they had a baby it would be perfect. I find Peruvian Morning way more flavorfull and KBS has a nicer mouthfeel that is for sure. So if they would blend it would be super. I would still take Peruvian morning everytime, for price and flavor and ease of getting it.

7. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I got one bottle as an extra in a trade and that is the only one I have had. It was definitely off and not that enjoyable. I have not had this any other times so I have no baseline, but I pretty much had to chug it after my glass was still half full after an hour.

8. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Huh. I've had plenty of Peruvian over the years & never had any off-flavors, including those I've cellared for years, just for fun.

I'm wondering if it was poor storage, too. Not only have I never had any "off" Peruvian, I've never had anything from Central Waters at all that tasted anything but fine.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  9. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

Ugh.. Had this a few weeks ago and it was pretty good; but this one I'm drinking now has some undeniable tartness.

10. Drinking a bottle right now....first one ever, tastes fine to me.

11. I experienced a tart flavor in the one that I tried however it was also outside in 26 degree weather so I blamed it on that at the time but perhaps it was just the bottle

12. I've not noticed any off taste with PM either. However, I tried it for the first time this year and have nothing to compare to.

13. mix them, just be careful who you tell about it :)

14. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

ive had a bunch of them but the last one i opened (last night) definitely seemed a little weird. slight tartness and funk that definitely shouldnt be there...

15. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (380) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

I've noticed that some of the bottles seem a bit off. Not sure what to make of it.

16. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (460) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

I have noticed this tartness once in a bottle, but have also had bottles that were just fine. I would most likely attribute this off taste to improper storage.

17. AndresR

AndresR Savant (280) California Jul 19, 2009

I just got 2 in a trade 2weeks ago, had one so far. Yeah, it was tart and even slightly oxidized. Drain poured 3/4th of it. I was so looking forward to it too. I'll try the 2nd one soon to compare in the next week or so. I have heard so many good thing. I'm guessing this is an off batch.

18. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

Had my first PM ever this week. Noticed an almost granny smith apple tartnes to it. Was still delicious though.

19. I don't think storage is the issue for the bottles I had.

I took them directly out of the case at the bottle shop, so no extended UV exposure there.

Then I put most in my fridge and a couple in my cellar (kept at around 55-60 degrees).

And it was just the one four pack that was 'off' the rest I've had this year have been great...

20. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

I bought a case this year, 1-2 4pks at a time. Have drank 13 bottles of it, 4 had the tart/ sour apple taste. Definitely a bad thing, I emailed CW and received NO response.

21. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (495) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

The one I had at KBS day had this taste and have heard this is occurring in every so many beers. Happy to hear that a good one of these is supposed to be amazing

22. Drank one tonight. Definite granny smith tartness. I'm pretty confident that this is an infection issue.

23. I thought the vanilla sweetness was a little too overpowering, still a great beer but KBS and Fourteen Fourteen are both superior, as they should be considering the price and availability.

24. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I've had 2 of this year's PM and can't compare it to past years. But both exhibited an unpleasant bitterness, especially in the aftertaste that brought my rating way down to 7/10. I also got less bitterness from their Bourbon Barrel Stout that tasted off to me. But again, this is my first year trying it.

By comparison, their Bourbon Barrel Barleywine does live up to the hype. So much sweet bourbon -- just had one and give it a 9-9.5.

25. drank probably 12 of them, often at room temp, never any off flavors.

26. I got one as an extra last week and could not finish it. Something was off. It was the only I have ever had, but based on the positive reviews I read, the one I had was not the same beer.

27. Just shared one with my neighbor yesterday. I really tasted a little tartness, but he did not. Dunno?

FYI, mine were bought at CW and have been stored since then in my dark beer cellar at a constant 50-55 degrees and humidity controlled. So it's not a storage issue.

28. kspongeworthy

kspongeworthy Savant (305) Texas Feb 25, 2011

FT: 2012 Peruvian Morning x2 ISO: 2011 Peruvian Morning x2

atone315 likes this.
  29. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

After rereading this thread, I popped open another PM. Got the tart taste, unfortunately. Passed the glass to my fiance, who does not drink beer, and asked her what she tasted. She said, "Grapes. and coffee." It's too bad, honestly, as the bottles that aren't off are real good.

30. tobin999

tobin999 Aficionado (135) Minnesota Dec 14, 2009

I just tasted four bottles all infected

31. Not on this years, but had a year old PM and it had an slight sour flavor too it. Drink it now!

32. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Hey, you, knock that off now.

I had four year vertical in Feb or March & while the four-year old bottle was clearly over the hill, there was nothing odd or off about any of the other bottles.

But this thread has me paranoid, I've stuck a few bottles in the fridge to check out over the next week or two.

33. Better get a couple cases so you can check it every week to make sure it holds up :)

maximum12 likes this.
  34. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

I had a 4 pack about two weeks ago. And it was GREAT!

35. I shot them an e-mail too. No response yet.

36. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I had one just a few days ago and it was great! I had probably a half dozen or so from this year's batch and all of them were fine - no tartness.

37. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Just had my first one. Yeah, definitely some nasty tartness. It's not the same flavor as an infection imo. I attributed it more to some bad coffee infusion.

38. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Just had a bottle I got as an extra in a trade. Definitely something off with it. Others I had have been great.

39. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

I have gone through a case this last year and never noticed any tart. I bought mine the day it first went on sale so i wonder if a certain batch was infected.

40. kalvarez

kalvarez Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2010

Got a case directly from the brewery at the anniversary party. No problems with those.