1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peruvian Morning...off taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by averagejake872, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I agree, I don't think it's infection.
  2. Does this beer contain lactose? Reading through this it sounds a lot like the gripes people have from poorly stored Short's Cup of Joes. I have made the mistake of leaving some of my Cup of Joes outside the fridge for too long of a period and when the lactose started to go bad that was exactly the flavor that came forth was a sour taste before I would get the true taste of the beer. Have never had PM so was just curious if it had lactose and if this could be a contributing factor.
  3. polisanl

polisanl Savant (250) Florida Aug 6, 2010

Please, let me know what CW replies. Just traded for a 4 pack of PM....just had one and you can add me the infected list. Had PM last year and no issues. Not sure what's up.
  4. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Well I appreciate this thread as I just got one PM via my RS guy in MI. I guess I am drinking it sooner than I though. The suspense of a sour PM is killing me.

Cheers!
  5. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

They posted on FB that they are aware of the 'undesirable flavor' issue and are in the process of figuring out a voluntary recall.
  6. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

This was in reply to my post on their wall. It appears I finally got their attention via FB-

Nick Uremovich
    Sent an email, didn't get a response....there is a thread started on BeerAdvocate, and I am wondering this also....What is up with the sour/tart note found in this year's Peruvian Morning? I bought close to a case this year, drank about half of it already, and I bet about 40% of them had this awful taste. The ones that did not have the taste, were Awesome though!!!!
    Like · · 3 hours ago
  7. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

This was just posted on Central Waters' facebook page 30 minutes ago:

We have received a few comments about off flavors in this years Peruvian Morning. In our own tests at the brewery, we have seen some undesirable flavors as well. We are aware of the situation, and are currently investigating it. In the meantime, we are currently working out the logistics of a voluntary recall for those who feel they would like to do so. We stand behind the quality of our beers and will do what we can to make this right by everyone. Stay tuned for details as we work out them out, and thank you for your patience and understanding
    MarkIntihar and foobula like this.
  8. bound4er

bound4er Savant (425) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

I must have been lucky - I went through a case this year and every bottle was fantastic.
  9. Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not just crazy...
  10. The22Lou

The22Lou Aficionado (190) Oregon Jun 1, 2011

Just tried my first 2012 and I agree with the sour. So are some of them not sour and some are? The local liquor store i got it from only sells them at room temp, if that has something to do with it like fishtremble suggested
  11. atone315

Correct, there are both....the PM that don't have the tart note are Excellent!!!
  12. PeteOrPierre

PeteOrPierre Aspirant (25) Apr 27, 2012

Glad someone else experienced this. I love Central Waters and was very unpleasently suprised when I bought a 4 Pack of PM a couple months ago. Tasted unbelievably tart/bitter, I was convinced it was a bad batch, but wasn't sure how likely that was.
  13. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

Yeah just tasted a bottle a couple days ago and got a sour flavor. I am definitely going to seek it out again, hopefully i will get a normal bottle.
  14. The22Lou

The22Lou Aficionado (190) Oregon Jun 1, 2011

My sour pack (4/4 were sour) was bottled in January. Maybe that can help identify a bad pack vs a good one with some more input? Or are they all bottled in Jan?
  15. I am pretty sure they are all January. I originally posted all mine have been fine but I just grabbed 3 more four packs and they have been a bit off so far.
  16. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (335) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

Got some from brewery and others from Racine, Chicago, and Milwaukee. All were just fine.
  17. ncketchum

ncketchum Savant (350) Wisconsin Apr 30, 2006

I've had two 4-packs, all were fine
  18. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Had 1 4 pk this year, it was fine. Purchased at Tenuta's in Kenosha.
  19. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (440) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

Im drinking one right now that I received as an extra. It's not bad but reading the reviews was expecting something else. Definite tartness, the bourbon still comes through. I'll finish it and soldier on.
  20. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I noticed a little tartness, but it wasn't too bad. I still enjoyed the beer.
  21. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Dammit. Popped one open last night & there was the first stirrings of weirdness. Far under the surface, but starting to really suppress the bourbon profile.
  22. I've had 2 2012 PMs, and didn't care for either of them. Good to know that there could be an issue with these beers, and that they aren't normally this bad. I love the other CW barrel aged beers.

*to elaborate on what I didn't like, it tasted like old water down coffee with a little tartness, and zero barrel presence.
  23. Just cracked open my first (and only) PM. It's from January 2012. It's tart and not very good. The nose is fantastic--no hints of problems there--but the taste is impossible to ignore.

Very disappointing. I was really looking forward to trying this beer.
  24. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I've had plenty that have been fine, however, reading this thread made me paranoid to pick up any more bottles of it... and of course after buying some yesterday, the one I just cracked open is sour/tart. Damn..
  25. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

Slightly tart flavor in the bottle I opened tonight.
  26. azdback

azdback Advocate (625) Arizona Apr 2, 2004

I received one as an extra last week and it was bottled February of '12. Not good. Very tart/sour. Red Stag and an average stout in my opinion.
  27. it has definitely started to sour, really bummed about that.
  28. Picked up a couple bottles brewed in January.
    Sour :(
  29. Crazy- I just had my first peruvian morning yesterday and felt the same way. Literally a sour mess. I tried everything; letting it sit, making some MORE cold, etc, and the stuff tasted horrible. I have another bottle, but if it was like the first one, it might find its way down the drain. I was shocked since the BBBW and BBBS are in my top 10 brews ever brewed...
  30. atone315

I don't think that there are any more good ones out there. This was all bottled at the same time, then distro'd. I feel that something was in the brew that went bad with time and now everyone is tasting it....too bad cause these were awesome fresh.
  31. AndresR

AndresR Savant (250) California Jul 19, 2009

I cracked open a CW bourbon cherry stout a few days ago, the latest release. It had the similar off taste as the PM. Anyone else experience this as well?
  32. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I have a bottle in my fridge from the most recent release...Heard rumors that it may be infected (and there may be a recall?). Probably will just crack it and drink it this week since I can't exactly return it haha.
  33. nobody has had me
  34. djmichaelk

djmichaelk Savant (385) Florida Jul 6, 2008

Ohhhhh, that's not what I've heard... </dirty></highschool>

Two 4-packs for me, hoping they don't all turn out this way. The one I drank tonight definitely did. Awful.
  35. Got a 4 pack in a trade, and a bottle I opened did have a tart taste to it. But it was my first and only PM. Shame. Guess I'll hold on to the last 3 bottles to see what unfolds.
  36. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

This is a real shame! My local bottle shop has a ton of this on the shelf too. I guess I'll pass.
  37. atone315

Hey guys, I traded 4 or 5 4pks of PM in the last few weeks and can't remember to whom. If I traded one to you, hit me up and we can work out some sort of replacement as it looks like all of the PM has gone bad....
  38. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Opened mine and yep, it was infected :-( Still got the coffee but the sourness kinda wiped out everything else.
  39. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I opened one last night that seemed fine, but finished slightly with a bit of tart/sourness. Have two bottles left, one of my more favorite locals, but guess I won't buy anymore until next year.. Sad!
  40. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Had a bottle last night. No signs of infection, could taste the bourbon coffee, stout, etc...