1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peruvian Morning...off taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by averagejake872, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I've blended PM with a splash of bourbon and a half shot of maple syrup. Spectacular!
  2. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Drinking one right now. This ain't no bad coffee infusion.

Like maximum12 said, it's not full blown but is beginning to dominate.
  3. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I opened a bottle on Saturday and it was very sour. Frustrating because it was a friends birthday and he is a huge bourbon fan, so I brought a bunch of BA stouts. I saved the PM for last telling him it was the best....FAIL.

Last years was AMAZING. I have 3 bottles left from this years batch.
  4. kalvarez

kalvarez Aficionado (185) Wisconsin Jul 22, 2010

FWIW I cracked open a few bottles yesterday, still delicious, no sour flavor, but I picked up my bottles at the brewery at the anniversary party.
  5. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Anyone know what Central Waters' stance is on this yet? I've got one complete four pack I'd prefer to return instead of gamble on, especially after the nasty one I opened at DLD.
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Guess I got lucky. Of the 6-8 or so I cracked this year, all were exceptional :D
  7. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

They haven't said a word since their initial "we're looking into what we can do" statement a few weeks back...
  8. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

I sent them a message via FB, 2 days ago. Their response:

Setting up a voluntary customer recall is logistically difficult, all of our wholesalers are providing feedback and we will have a solution soon. Thanks for staying in touch.

So, I guess, work in progress?
  9. They are a good brewery just leave the 4 packs in your cellar, I am sure they will have something figured out soon. I am sure we all have plenty of other beers to drink.
  10. I had A 2012 PM last week and it definitely had a tart off flavor in the taste. I did't get it in the nose just the taste.
  11. I've gone through one 4 pack. One of the bottles was phenomenal, others not good...
  12. Just opened a bottle and tasted it. Definite sour note, and not just a little. Truly sad, because I normally love this beer. It tasted great when I first bought it a few months ago.
  13. Opened up a bottle of this years batch, not good news soured. Compared with a pre 2010 vintage that I had in the fridge. The older vintage while a bit faded still decent coffee flavor compared with the latest batch. I really hate dumping beer but, in this case it's borderline undrinkable. Kind of reminds of Abyss 2009 that i tasted once.
  14. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (380) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

The one I got in a trade had a sour taste to it, wanted to mae sure it wasn't my imagination so I cracked a KBS, yep I think the one I had was infected. it was included as a lottery ticket as my trader expolained and it turned out bunk. I will say it wasn't horrible but compared to the KBS yeah not good.
  15. foobula

CW announced some sort of case-by-case exchange program for Peruvian Morning today:
    It's unclear to me 1. whether this will be a true exchange, where they want the bad bottles returned, 2. whether I can get exchanges for the two bad bottles I drank, and 3. how they plan to implement this, logistically, across the 4 states they distribute to. In any event, great that they're standing by their product quality. This year's was my first 4-pack, and I likely would not have purchased it again. It tasted sour to me from the first bottle, within a week or two of purchase.
  16. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

From everything I've ever seen & experienced Central Waters not only has some kick-ass brewers, they is good people too. I'd qualify as a homer if I lived in the same state.

Too bad. I love this beer. Will try another bottle or two before I give up on the rest.
  17. You took the name I wanted.
    PS Nice avatar
    DoctorRock likes this.
  18. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Now 0 for 2. I thought it was ok at first, but getting worse as it warms. I LOVE KBS so I was hoping for a great easier to obtain substitute, but so far I am disappointed. I will seek it out next year, but pretty sure I am done with this years batch.
  19. Never had an off bottle. Totally my thing when I'm jonesin' for a caramel & coffee experience.
  20. Yeah, I can confirm the off taste. I had a hard time beleiving it but cracked my last bottle tonight and its got a heavy tart cherry flavor that not intended in CW Peruvian Morning. The beer drank fine fresh, but its definately... dare I say it infected. I don't like to say that a beer is infected without being completely certain and the 2012 bottle that I drank tonight is definately infected/has an off flavor. The coffee and barrel notes are overtaken by heavy tart cherries.
  21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Has anyone tried one in anticipation of the tartness? Being ready for those flavors, do you think it would make for a good beer?
  22. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

At least in my case, not at all. All the off ones I had were gross.
  23. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Had 1 the other night - first one ever. Tasted great. Lucky me.
  24. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Nope.
  25. foobula

The last one I had a few weeks ago I still gave a 7/10. At that point I just thought "guess it's supposed to taste like this." The coffee and bourbon were still present up front. Sour was the main component in the back and the aftertaste, in a not enjoyable way. But it wasn't a drain pour, for me at least.
  26. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Anyone send an email and get a response yet?
    dborginis likes this.
  27. Interested in what happens. I have some, both sour and good but not sure how to tell which is which before opening!
  28. foobula

Got a response this morning. Here are the options:
    So it isn't an immediate exchange in the sense that next week I'll get some good PM (which makes sense if it's brewed once a year and sold out.) Option 1 would be the most obvious, but that's a long wait. Kind of tempted to pick 3 or 4 and have a road trip, but a 7 hour round trip prompted by a few bucks of beer is a bit hard to justify. So will probably choose 1 and look forward to tastier PM this coming winter.
  29. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Honestly these are not good options. CW needs to take a look at Boulevard and their Chocolate ale. At least 1 of the states they distribute in cannot use a coupon (MN law). They need to just refund the customers cost for the 4 pack in a check.

I have 3 bottles left. I think I will try one this weekend. If I get sourness I will contact them.
  30. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (450) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

So how are they handling the return of the beer itself? Is it just based on your word or do you physically have to return the bottles somewhere? I drank two of my 8 bottles shortly after purchase and they were delicious as usual, had it on tap two weeks ago and it was great, but I opened a bottle last week and definitely going sour. I'm not sure whether to bother with the return or just try and power through and see if any of the bottles aren't bad. I don't find it undrinkable yet; you just have to pretend you're drinking a different beer.
  31. I just wanted to weigh in quick and give everyone an update. We are working through the emails coming through to [email protected] and creating a database, once completed, we will be reconciling with you on whatever method you have chosen. This is an overwhelming task for our extremely small staff so please be patient (not to mention we are mid-expansion and just finishing a TTB audit). We understand that not everyone is going to be happy with the options that are on the table, but it is all we can do (remember, the breweries some of you are comparing us to are 21 times the size we are). We truly appreciate all of you who have given us positive feedback on our attempts to remedy the situation and work with us in a positive manner. Remember, we are an extremely small business and are doing everything we can with out going broke.

We recommend trying anything you have left and drainpour the bad.

We are working on a internship that will be set up with the local UW to ensure this never happens again.

Thanks again.
    Paul Graham
    funhog, TyPhD, Kumicho and 5 others like this.
  32. TyPhD

TyPhD Zealot (85) Mar 19, 2012

Just curious.. has anyone had any word on the status of the recall?
  33. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Not sure but I bought some from a local store about 6 weeks ago, knowing there had been a recall and taking my chances, and they tasted great. Actually still have two of them.
  34. deadbody

I actually just followed up with them a couple weeks ago because I explained that none of the given options were acceptable to me and they said they would cut me a check after the recall was done (the time they gave was end of Julyish) I haven't heard a response from them. I would be very upset if they just attempted to push this under the rug and hope it goes away or people forget about it.
  35. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

if only i could get a check for all the beers i didn't enjoy...
  36. deadbody

There is a large difference between didn't enjoy and undrinkable.

Also Central Waters offered to do this, had they not I would not have approached it. I would have simply said it was not good beer and I would have moved on (and probably bought less CW products because I didn't like the way they handled it).
  37. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

if only i could get a check for all the beers i found undrinkable...
  38. Gushue3

Gushue3 Savant (350) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2010

I had one bottle months ago and there was definitely a muted off taste in there, slightly nutty and acidic. The beer still tasted alright but the off flavor was there.
  39. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Had a bottle last week. Smelled great, tasted awful. Shame really, it was my only bottle I've ever tried. Could be a great beer I bet.

Very sour.