1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peruvian Morning...off taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by averagejake872, Apr 12, 2012.

1. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I opted for the "send me a hat" approach to the recall, but several months later, my head is still bare.

I also drank one recently, and it's still infected, just like all the other ones I've had. I envy you guys that got good bottles because I loved this beer last year. I hope CW makes good on their offer.
  2. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

I also contacted them via their website & got no reply back. It seems like they made the notice to appease unhappy customers upfront & haven't really done anything to solve the issue. I in turn had 2 infected bottles.. If CW contacts me back I would gladly retract this statement, until then I guess...
  3. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

small company with lots on their plate. i'd imagine they are somewhat backed up if they got a lot of requests.

good luck to everyone
    thousandfoldthought likes this.
  4. I'm kind of amazed at the number of people with 1-4 bottles trying to get a refund. I totally understand If you have half a case or more but I can't wrap my head around getting upset over less than 20$ worth of beer.
  5. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I loved this beer, thanks man! The tartness added to the awesomeness of this brew! Now I cant wait to crack open my 2009 Abyss! Embrace the tartness!!!!
  6. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Just finished my last from a 4 pack I received a little while ago. It was fantastic just like the other 3. I guess I got lucky.
  7. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

I only paid $20 for a 4pk of KBS, which is pretty reasonable if you ask me.
  8. MaineMike

MaineMike Savant (290) Maine Jan 22, 2011

9. airmike

airmike Aficionado (185) Iowa Apr 12, 2011

Still have 12 left out of the case I bought, and the ones I have had have all been tart / off in flavor. I emailed the address in the recall details and but have yet to receive a response. This is leaving me with a sour taste both figuratively and literally...
  10. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Is it safe to assume that those who responded to the recall early (like me) got a response? Allegedly there's a 4 pack of 2013 PM withmy name on it, coming to a liquor store near me.
  11. foobula

So I'll resurrect this thread. Seems like CW should be doing some logistical planning & proactive updates regarding the PM recall. Due to the lack of latter, I'm going to assume a lack of the former, and that they won't be following through on this recall. But I would love to be mistaken in my analysis.
  12. I grabbed 1 4pack when I was instate and didn't get to try until back in TX. They were all infected. I emailed them and it seemed like they didn't respond. It took about 1-2 months and I didn't even notice right away as it went to my spam folder. Not as efficient as Deschutes with Abyss 09. Would like to try this years but wont be up there again soon and shipping 12ozs just not as efficient for me.
  13. Bought a single and was infected.
  14. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Sooooo.....has anyone heard anything on their status of refund? I was offered gift certificates for the brewery (I bought 1 1/2 cases, they offered to reimburse for 4 or 5 4pks, which I thought was more than fair). I agreed, and was told they would be sent after "the recall period". I received an email in August or September, IIRC, and was asked for my current address to send them. Well, I still haven't seen them. In fact, I have sent numerous emails and just posted on their FB page yesterday, and still nothing. I was hoping to receive them in time for the anniversary party, but I don't think that's gonna happen....
  15. foobula

They've handled this pretty poorly, especially compared to Boulevard's Chocolate Ale recall. I sent Boulevard a pic of the bottle label and had a check in my mailbox a few weeks later.

The title of this thread should be changed to "Central Waters... off taste"
  16. This was just sent to my email twenty minutes ago from Central Waters.
    Hopefully all will be receiving this shortly.

17. I just received an email confirming my address today. At this point, I have not seen any indication that this won't be handled fairly. I believe Peruvian Morning is a February release. They still have a couple of weeks to communicate the refund/replacement procedure before the next batch hits the market. I guess I'm reserving judgement for now.
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  18. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

As a couple others noted above, I got them same message. They must be digging through their inbox today..

'
    As we speak, we are issuing checks for this, as the beer is set to deliver over the next two weeks. It became too difficult to find stores to offer exchanges, so we found a way to send out a check to everyone based on our average price of Peruvian morning last year ($12 per four pack).'
  19. foobula

I just got the same email. Glad to see some progress.

I'd like to think my b!tch!ng prompted some action. But maybe just coincidence. :cool:
  20. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Boulevard really went above and beyond -- reimbursed me for the bottle I'd already consumed and discarded, as well as the unopened one. So I bought some Rye on Rye with the proceeds!
    kustard, KevSal and foobula like this.
  21. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

I received an email about 20 minutes after posting here, which wasnt much longer after I had posted on their FB page. Sounds like I have some CW cash to spend at the anniversary party for "to go" beers!!!
  22. The brewery is ridiculous and their customer service is not good. I have exchanged email with the Chief Executive Officer for 8 months, he's assured me that "a check is in the mail", however I have yet to be compensated in any way. Whatever, I'm moving on.
  23. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (410) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

I bought three bottles of this at a local bottle shop, all 2012 vintage. So far I have consumed two bottles, the first by myself and the second I split with a friend. My initial experience was very positive indeed, but in the splitter, we both noticed something slightly off, perhaps matching this "tart" affect or whatever. My friend had never had PM but did notice something "off". It's not as bad as other "infected" beers I've had, which needed to be discarded after one or two sips. I have one bottle left and plan to drink it in the next 5 months. Would like to pick up some 2013 at some point.
  24. The beer has been historically excellent. I won't be revisiting because of the poor customer service. If you haven't had a bad experience with the brewery and they tighten up their quality control (I'm sure they will after this disaster) you'll probably be happy.
  25. Last year - Yes
    This year - no.
    stevegoz likes this.
  26. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (550) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

I got my check yesterday.
  27. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I received a check a couple weeks ago
  28. Central Waters:

[​IMG]

Boulevard:

[​IMG]

I mean, not to diminish your experience with customer service, but we are talking about different scales, here.
  29. foobula

I get that. Thanks for the visual aids though, I hadn't seen a picture of CW's facility. Kudos to them for the clean energy solar panels. I'm just making the point that there's a right way to handle a recall and a wrong way to handle one, and these two cases are great examples of each. If people are getting checks, great, I'm waiting for mine.

Honestly if they had never done a recall and hoped we would all forget about last year's PM (see: FFF DL '12) I would have long since forgotten about it. But when they offered to replace last year's 4-pack with a 4-pack of this year's, you might say I felt entitled to it. And hearing nothing for 7 months or what-not right up to release week made it seem like they were going to back out.
  30. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (450) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

I asked about my check when I was at the anniversary party and was told it was "in the mail" as well (another indication of scale, the guy remembered my name from writing the check). I got it 8 days later. A more accurate description would've been that the check was written (it was) but had not yet been sent out.
  31. Soneast

Soneast Savant (470) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

I dunno, we got 15 for our bad PMs. I don't see Boulevard handing out one of their mostly highly rated, and coveted beers for an infected beer. You ask me, they handled this PM infection admirably. As for FFFs ignoring DL '12, I have a feeling that has less to do with good business sense and more to do with FFFs just plain being douche bags overall.

And yet they didn't back out...so what's the problem?
  32. foobula

Congrats on getting your compensation. I'll just direct you to re-read my post to discover my "problem", if you must call it that.
  33. My issue with the way they have handled the situation is the tenor of the email correspondence with Paul and the endless bs about "a few weeks" or "a couple of months". Not good. As I said the beer has been good in the past but I'm done with them as a result of this. Live/learn.
  34. When I emailed them, the response I received seemed to me like all recall and compensation would be taken care of at the time of the next PM release, which exactly what happened. I got my check about a week ago and am happy I got something for my troubles. Never had any other recall experiences but this seemed fine to me. I had no problem waiting a few months betweet emails as that is the vibe I got in the original email that it would be taken care of around the next anniversary party and hey it was!
  35. foobula

Sorry guys, I just don't think it's acceptable to make bad beer, offer to replace it, do nothing for 7 months, then when people start complaining online and via email change your plan at the last minute, ignore my email when I inform you of my new address, and you still haven't gotten me a check. If my ridiculously high expectations mean I should buy more Boulevard and less CW, I guess that's a lesson learned.
  36. Soneast

Soneast Savant (470) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

Eh, fair enough. I guess I would be frustrated too. Just hate to see you write them off....or do I? ;)
  37. I agree with this message completely and will be proceeding in the same manner.
  38. foobula

Well, I'm not exactly writing them off. I have been happy with most of what I've had from CW, including this year's BBS & last year's BBBW & BBCS. Just frustrated with this one experience -- and hopeful to put it behind me in the next couple of weeks. Also I was really looking forward to getting a "good" Peruvian 4-pack, since I've yet to have a good bottle. But I figured it would be logistically difficult and wasn't surprised they couldn't make it work.
  39. foobula

Still no check and no reply to my last email of nearly a month ago.

Guess there's always yelp and the BBB. Sucks that I have to resort to that for a measly ten or twelve bucks.
  40. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

You don't HAVE to...
    pmarlowe likes this.