1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peruvian Morning...off taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by averagejake872, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Soneast

Soneast Savant (470) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

Not sure if you have already, but personally, I'd give them a call...I find you get better, and quicker response with a phone call, and that applies to ANY company. Emails are too easy to either lose, or forget about. Speaking to someone directly will get you the results you're looking for 9 times out of 10.

2. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

If I have any free time this weekend, I can pick up a 4-pk for ya for whenever you are in town.

3. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Thanks stayclean, I actually got a 4-pk of PM & BBBW up in Kenosha. Tried this year's bourbon cherry last nite and gotta say last year's had lots more bourbon. Maybe the tartness is overwhelming it right now.

Guess I'll let go of this crusade.... "I want my twelve dollars!" If I ever make it up to CW I'll have them buy me a beer.

stayclean likes this.
  4. stayclean

I was surprised at how much I liked the cherry one last year. Haven't seen any of it around this year, but it sounds like its more limited this time around.

5. OK I'm bumping this thread one last time and yes, it's a simple matter of me venting my spleen.

For 9 months I exchanged email with Paul and was ultimately referred to Anilllo over a large ( by my personal standards) purchase of PM and was promised on 2/15 that I would be receiving a check (for an amount less than what I paid by the way). It's 2 weeks later and still nothing, not even any email correspondence or notification of any kind, or other explanation for that matter.

These are unreasonably poor customer service practices. I can only conclude that they are satisfied that their PR problem has gone away and they have sustained all the damage the are going to sustain and do not care about a single dissatisfied customer.

I have nothing else to add but hope that people are, or become, aware of how these folks operate. That's all I got.

Enjoying the hell out of some Curmudgeon tonight. Cheers, people.

6. foobula

Just got my check today -- dated 1/21 and postmarked 2/28. So apparently they are working through the backlog -- incredibly slowly. Hopefully that bodes well for your claim, NextBestThing.

7. I was wondering why philly was shipped pm way after they knew they had an infection problem. We have never been lucky enough to get pm before. The way it looks they pawned it off on a new market to get rid of the sour stock.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  8. Was that really the case? I thought I remember it coming in around March and it is a Feb release. I actually remember there not being an issue with the first few I had and then it changed.

9. I haven't come across this i picked up a couple four packs and they both tasted awesome

10. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

They're talking about last year's release, not this year's which has been very good.

averagejake872 and herman77 like this.
  11. Thanks guy that's good information and I appreciate it

I realize this is a minor issue and of no consequence to anyone but myself but I'm afraid I won't be a CW customer going forward. Enough other options out there to get by without what they have to offer given the unsatisfactory response from the brewery.

12. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

So basically, if I see this around Philly, I'm assuming I probably shouldn't buy it? Shame, I've always wanted to try that stuff...

13. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

They had a recall:
    http://beerpulse.com/2012/05/centra...oluntary-recall-for-peruvian-morning-bottles/

14. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

The 2012 release was the one with issues. The current 2013 release hasn't had any problems. Drink away!

cjoc83 likes this.
  15. stayclean

averagejake872 likes this.
  16. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Why does this thread still exist?

The beer was infected. Sucks, but it happens. At $10 a 4pack, if you haven't moved on by now...

17. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Go on, complete your sentence.

Would you be as forgiving if you bought rotten eggs from the grocery store? If it is so common, the breweries should release their beer with a disclaimer that it might suck.

PS: I am as much a fan of Central Waters as the next guy but that is no excuse for a poorly made product. I am not trashing CW but I don't see the need to be condescending toward people who got a bad product.

18. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

I bought it too. But i mean, it was over a year ago. Let's move on.

FatBoyGotSwagger and misterid like this.
  19. foobula

Pretty simple, the thread is still alive because they're still in the process of making good on promises made >8 months ago. It's no longer about bad beer, rather promises to compensate customers which have gone unmet until recently, and are still not fully met (per previous poster.)

20. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yes, except that people who can't be bothered to go back & read the context of the thread are now assuming that the fresh batch might be infected too.

If people want to continue to bitch, start a new thread with a more accurate title.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  21. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

And if you're someone like me who bought three 4-packs? That's around $36. And I'm sure there are people out there who bought several cases. At $72 a case, should they just move on?

22. foobula

In my experience duplicate threads are going to be deleted on the grounds that a thread already exists. Perhaps you could request to have 2012 added to the title.

23. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

And they were still selling it after the voluntary recall. I remember seeing a ton of it in a liquor store in wisconsin after I heard about the recall.

I got my check from them, I bought a 4 pack of this years and found it to be glorious, so I bought a few more, and since I love the coffee I'll be drinking it fresh and not worrying about it, but I really didn't like the way CW handled this whole thing.

24. dmbsnus

dmbsnus Aficionado (145) Illinois Jan 10, 2012

this years PM was awesome!

deadbody likes this.
  25. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

if i bought rotten eggs from a grocery store i'd chalk it up to a bad carton (batch) and not condemn the grocery forever. or cry about losing out on $1.69. that's just me.

point taken but some people are taking this too far, in my opinion. some people got bum bottles... more than a year ago. it happens.

26. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

could this be an issue with the distributor or retailer moreso than the brewery?

also, was the ENTIRE output infected? mine were fine.

that raises the question of "at what point do you recall the beer from shelves?" when 10% of buyers are reporting infection? 20%? what if brewery QC says everything is fine and the issues are being falsely reported? if you're a large brewery you probably have more resources to handle these things.. when you're a brewery with a handful of employees.. little more difficult.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  27. Not if the title is different. "Refund from CW Peruvian Morning?" "2012 Peruvian Morning Refund" Something like that. And then ask the Bros to lock this old thread maybe.

28. So your one of the people who took 15 for bad PM. I hope you only took 1 or 2 extra otherwise you really screwed those who got shut out. I know CW said you could take your credit in 15, but that was before they knew what the demand would be (and they had signs that said something like "please don't take all your credit in 15"). I knew several people who took their credit in the other BA beers, because they didn't want to be a guy who screwed over others.

I hope I am wrong.

29. Soneast

Well they had already run out of 15 by the time we got up there, and they had saved those specifically for us, since we requested it via email correspondence with them. In others words they had already set it aside for people who requested it prior to the event, so, no, we didn't screw anyone over.

30. Well yes and no. I got my 4 bottles, but if I didn't or others who didn't might think whoever took more than 4 screwed them. Like I said, I know CW offered it, and that was poor planning/judgement on their part, but I'm just saying.
    I know there were people who were Demanding they get 15 for their credit, but those who emailed and had it set aside were obviously not one of these people.
    Hopefully CW's and other breweries learn from this situation and don't make the same mistakes. It still amazes me that breweries don't realize how crazy beer releases are and still don't anticipate the huge turnouts at these events.

31. Soneast

Yeah, to be honest I was surprised they offered the 15 for the bad PMs, bet they won't do that again. If we hadn't been compensated for the bad PMs we wouldn't have gotten any 15, so I don't feel bad about accepting 15 for our PMs.

32. I completely understand. It was crazy that they probably had the allotment spoken for by about 2:30pm and doors opened at 3pm.
    I wish I would have been close to the front when people were throwing a fit that they deserved to get 15 for their PM. They would have gotten a earful from me!

33. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Guess who just got a hat in the mail today... This guy. I guess I can call off the dogs and go back to enjoying CW usually awesome beers. My boycott wasn't because I got some bad bottles, that's happened before, but when you promise to take care of it, you should do it in a more timely manner. I'm absolutely satisfied though.

stayclean and foobula like this.
  34. foobula

Think I'd rather stick with the status quo than try to divine when it's absolutely appropriate to post in an existing thread vs. absolutely appropriate to start a new one. But this thread seems to be reaching its natural conclusion anyway. Folks have either been restituted or made peace with the situation, and the new batch of PM is getting rave reviews.

35. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Definitely happy with the new PM, but incredibly pissed at CW for refusing a rebate. I contacted them in January through their website, heard nothing, contacted again in February, heard nothing, contacted again a few days ago, and now being told that I'm too late for a rebate. Incredibly disrepectful email exchange as well ("you should never age beers, so we aren't responsible when they go bad")... WTF?

I won't be buying CW anymore.

funhog likes this.
  36. foobula

It seems that a decent part of the 2012 PM had issues with sourness. So blaming it on aging seems a convenient excuse -- particularly when the bottles lack freshness dates, and this year's even identify the "vintage", which to me implies ageability. However I can understand CW not wanting to be liable in perpetuity for one year's bad batch. They announced the recall on May 14th, so there was ample time to respond, if you knew about it.

37. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

If my bottles don't have the vintage marked does that mean they are the 2012 version? These were just purchased this past weekend?

38. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

The vintages are marked on all of the CW barrel-aged beers on the upper label on the neck. 2013 labeling was changed for all of them to the style below (not my pic), so if yours looks like that, you should be fine.

[​IMG]

Roudy1 and pk18 like this.
  39. pk18

They changed the PM labeling this year. The label below is from the 2013 batch which is drinking fantastically.

[​IMG]

The previous labels looked like this....
    [​IMG]

Roudy1 likes this.
  40. pk18

Beat me to it......

Roudy1 and xnicknj like this.