1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Pet Peeves of Reviews

Discussion in 'Site' started by CloudStrife, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

1) "This is my first sour, eww that tastes like vinegar". Don't review an extreme or niche style the first time you've tried it. If you must, at least give it a serious try and offer something more constructive than "wow, this is sour".

2) I like when people write a paragraph for appearance, smell, ect and put a space between them. It is much easier to get multiple opinions on a specific aspect of a beer instead of wading through one long paragraph to pick out taste.

3). To be allowed to review on the site you should have to go to a training class and submit your certificate for access. (Just kidding)
  2. I hate when not one word of the review describes the beer appearance, smell, flavor, or mouthfeel whatsoever.
  3. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

This is done to give a description of the specific glass used for drinking. Not all snifters/goblets/pint glasses are created equal - slightly different sizes, angles, etc. I think it is just another descriptor to help illustrate the beer and how it is being tasted, along with freshness (age), keg vs. bottle vs. cask, temperature, and others.
    Buttermilk and woosterbill like this.
  4. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

No doubt ... and in general, I appreciate everybody's attempt to give a beer a full review.

While I might have preferences, the only thing I completely disregard are the quick scores (excepts those by the Bros). I don't mean to rip anybody for doing a quick score, but for my own learning purposes, I start with the Bros' reviews, go to the expert reviewers' then look at other full reviews -- I outright ignore the quick scores.

Sometimes it can be a lot to read, but the reviews on BA are helping me a ton.
  5. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

Just a newbie here and I clearly don't know as much as everyone else.

That said, it strikes me as odd that there's not a standard "review" format. I've been to a number of beer festivals and events whereby there is a standard approach to scoring and rating a beer. As a leader in the industry, it would be interesting for BeerAdvocate to sort of..."define" the approach for rating beers. You guys clearly have a leg up on everyone else and can sort of blaze your own path to a standard way to rate beers.

The other thing is, and I don't know how feasible it would be, but it would be good to know which ratings were by certified beer tasters vs. joe taster. I am sure this is a data model change as it would probably have to be associated to user profiles, so I don't know how feasible this is. Just an interesting thought!

Hope none of this comes off as accusatory, but just some thoughts from a casual observer.
  6. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I want a review from the gut. Not going through ten different tones,color,grass flavor,etc to the etc.

Give me the taste from the gut. I can handle the truth. Sit with the ball and change and tell me you taste good stuff.

Shit yeah... Good stuff.

Stop punching the ticket of beers you think are cool. Drink beers that taste cool.

Grab your ball ladies and gents.

Let's take a ride.
  7. WBD

Balls
    joeseppy likes this.
  8. One thing that I find to be really goofy is when someone rates the beer with say 4 4.25 4.5 and 4 and then rates it overall a 4. I understand if the taste is the lowest but when the overall is lower than individual ratings for each category than I don't get it. I have seen a couple times where this has happened.
  9. WBD

There lies the problem. 4.5 or 4 whatever. What does it really mean?

Let me lie this down.

You are home or at your fav bar getting ready for a great beer. Yeah. Fist bumps with your dogs. Let's get down let's get down.

You take a sip. Dang. I feel lemon with a taste off.........stop it right gosh darn right now.

Enjoy it do not rank it.

My work is done.
  10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

In the overall category I also include things like the drinkability so while a beer might have a great flavor and aroma, it might be so intense that it is tough to drink or the alcohol might not be as well hidden as I want therefore I might not have the same value as the other categories.
  11. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Beerflys that talk about everything but the beer...

12. OK, thanks for the clarification there. That makes sense.
  13. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Along with this, I also personally factor in value (is the beer worth the price?) to the overall category as well.
  14. Roasted horse blankets and the bottom of an old shoe, aged in Paris. ;)
    This could not be further from the truth. Short of expert super tasters that train their nose and taste buds with years of practice, I'd say they are trying to impress us. Most people can distinguish thousands of smells but can usually only name a handful at a time when presented with many aromas. Personally for me I enjoy a simple tasting beer that works well with foods, but that generally cuts down on the complex reviews and horse blankets...
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  15. A couple others have already given good specific reasons, but I would just point out that there would be no purpose whatsoever to the presence of an Overall score if it were supposed to be an average of the other components, since all five categories get averaged anyway.

Use Overall to gauge your personal opinion of the beer as a whole, using whatever additional (in)tangible factors as matter to you beyond the A/S/T/M categories that are given their own place. Whether it's value, drinkability, availability, the personality of the brewer, a childhood memory it brings to mind, or the fact that the label happens to be your favorite color. Go nuts.
    cavedave likes this.

16. OK, I see. I must just be out of my mind, but I generally consider how the beer tastes to be pretty much the most important part of the equation. Heck, maybe that is just because I like the beers from that place in Belg that don't even have a label on them. But I get it.

Come to think of it, I guess if Angelina served me a Bud naked, I would think it was pretty good. Got it.
  17. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

People who obviously don't read style guidelines before reviewing a beer. How many times have we seen Berliners reviewed as too tart, IIPA reviewed as too unbalanced and/or bitter, rauchbiers that are too smoky tasting.

As someone already said though, pretty easy to go to the next review. I will add it also is pretty easy to find those reviewers who are careful, knowledgeable, readable, and have a palate similar to your own.
  18. God damn, I love logic.
  19. I personally like something that's easy to read. Long paragraphs that are difficult to browse for specific info is something I often tend to skip over. I look at reviews quickly in the store if I see something new and can't decide if I want to chance it or grab a trusty stand-by instead.