1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Philly Bottle Share: Sunday, Feb 24th

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by CanConPhilly, Feb 2, 2013.

1. From PhillyBeerScene.com:
    "We are proud to officially announce our third collaborative bottle share with Philly Tap Finder, and this one is looking like it could be the best yet. It will be held at 1:00 on February 24th at Han Dynasty in the Old City district of Philadelphia. The format is going to remain mostly the same as the past two gatherings. Registration is required to attend and it will once again cost $15. The $15 will cover food, tax and gratuity during the event. Han Dynasty will put out an array of dishes to snack on throughout the event.
    Everyone is asked to bring at least 2 special beers to share with the group. We ask that you do not bring any homebrews and try to stay away from beers that can be regularly found at any beer store. Try to bring something that you think sounds interesting. Once you decide what you’re going to bring, send us an e-mail and we will update this page with a listing of all the beers to help make sure we dont’ get too many of the same. The only other rule will be that, once at the tasting you can only drink from bottles that are open and you can not open a bottle that is not yours. Some people bring some very special beers and we don’t want the whole thing to be drank before they even get to try it. Feel free to bring your own glass if you have a special one you prefer to drink from.
    We have the entire downstairs of Han Dynasty reserved, so we can fit up to 70 people this time, but do not wait to register as these fill up extremely quick and after 70 we won’t take anymore requests. Please RSVP to [email protected]. Please include full names of each registrant."

List of what everyone is bringing so far: http://www.phillybeerscene.com/2013/02/3rd-bottle-share-with-philly-tap-finder/

These guys really know how to set up a good share. The last few have been great, and this one is set to be epic. I know I'll be there. Anyone else going?

2. Looks great. Ill be there!

CanConPhilly likes this.
  3. I'll be there. In another ugly skirt.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  4. Crap, I'll be in the Keys. Stupid anniversary.

Squidly likes this.
  5. Less than 20 spots left. Yeesh this thing filled up quick!

6. hhkal17

hhkal17 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

Half the spots were filled in the first 5 hours (remember, with PBS and PTF, you're talking thousands of Facebook and Twitter followers).

Also, the event is now up on the BA calendar - http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/59544

7. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

my wife and I are in.

8. Thank you for adding to BA calendar. -Jared

9. I'll be there. Totally unsure of what to bring, however. Probably going to look like a homeless glutton wrecking the food, though, so look for the guy with crumbs on his shirt that looks like an 18 year old.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  10. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

is this full?

11. Ask PhillyTapFinder on twitter. He'd probably know.

Also, I'm coming but don't know what I'm bringing yet. Probably should decide.

ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  12. The event is full now - no one else is being RSVP'ed. The list is already stacked though.

I'm bringing:

50/50 Eclipse - Elijah Craig 12 year (xmas gift)
    Spring House Big Gruesome
    + perhaps 1 other

Can't wait to try Fou Foune for the 1st time!

13. This wil finally be the first one I am able to attend. I pretty much only been to bottle shares between close friends where once something is open anyone can have a small pour. Are these open bottle shares the same or do people have to ask permission to try something from the person that bought it.

14. Nope, pretty much the same thing. If a bottle is open and on the table, go ahead and take a pour. If it isn't opened, don't open it. Sometimes you can find the person the bottle belongs to but sometimes you just miss out and that's okay.

15. cryme

they didn't add my beers to the list, but for the record i'll be bringing 3-4 barrel aged evolution beers

16. Yeah same here but only one was added. I am bringing the BA Old Numbskull, Arctic Panzar Wolf, and Unibroue Grande Reserve 17. Might bring some more, will decide at the last minute tomorrow.

17. Glad this one is starting earlier in the day than the last few. We're going to need more than a couple of hours to get through all of these bottles.

I'm opening the 50/50 Eclipse I'm bringing right off the bat. Been waiting forever to try an Eclipse, and I want to experience it before the eventual palate destruction of hour 2 and 3 (and 4?).

18. cryme

I just checked and looks like i'll be bringing:
    Evolution 2011 Fall Migration
    Evolution 2012 Spring Migration
    Evolution Menagerie #3 Redux
    Evolution Menagerie #8

Going to open the 2011 Fall first. I haven't had one in over a year and I want to see how it's developed. It's also the most delicate and my favorite of the Migration series (was bummed that a 2012 version never came out...)

I'm actually looking forward to the food as much as the beer...

Ruddick likes this.
  19. Really looking forward to trying some Black Tuesday (was suppose to try it at EBF but we know what happened with that).

20. I'm thoroughly embarrassed to say that I'm bringing a 4 year vintage 3L of Chimay Grande Reserve... Probably not exciting to anyone at all, but most of y'all can compare memories of fresh blue versus vintage.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  21. This will be my first bottle share and I'm really excited about it. I'm bringing Fruet, Fuller's Vintage 2010, and a Hof Ten Dormaal Barrel Aged Project brew.

RobertColianni and CanConPhilly like this.
  22. You rule for bringing Fruet. So much Bruery to be had this afternoon. An embarrassment of riches!

23. Great time today. Nice to meet you in person RobertColianni and Ruddick and others I can't remember. No Black Tuesday (???), but so many other good ones. My highlight was the Gouden Carolus 2011 Cuvee - unreal. And also Fruet.

Ruddick likes this.
  24. probably due to the 20 people that RSVP'd but didn't show up. =/

thanks to you guys, we got to pay extra to even out the bill. but in the end, it was totally worth it.

25. That was quite lame. I know a lot of people that would have liked to come. Although I can't imagine a lot more people fitting in that space.

Squidly likes this.
  26. Agreed CanConPhilly. Don't know if it is possible for PhillyBeerScene and PhillTapFinder to sell tickets but that would seriously help with the no shows. Great thing about "no shows", leftovers!!!!!!!

27. Really enjoyed the afternoon, especially the Fou' Foune and Dark Lord; can't wait to do it again!!

Ruddick likes this.
  28. Fruet, Zombie Dust stole the show. Phenomenal event. My girlfriend is probably pissed at me, though. Either way, a pleasure to meet everyone; Matt, thanks for the notice, too. It was great to meet you. RollTide, were you the one getting married? I didn't really ask anyone about their user names...

29. Thanks everyone for coming and for being so generous with your beers. Overall, things worked out great. Happy to see so many first-timers. Looks like we will have to do tickets next time. We were trying to avoid the hassle, but it's unfair to all of us to have to pay for people that didn't show, especially when we had a waiting list. On a good note, I think that we had the right number of people there for the space. Another 15 may have been tight.

Keep your eye out for future events. If you have contacts with BYOBs with decent space, please let me know. We're always looking for suggestions.

InspectorBob and CanConPhilly like this.
  30. Matt-I'm pretty sure that I have a bottle of that Gouden Carolus 2011 at home. If I do, it's yours. I will check tonight.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  31. I'm one of the no-shows, though I did email Matt in the morning. Was still fighting the cold that refuses to die. Had the beers picked out and ready to go, was really looking forward to checking out Han Old City since I used to frequent his place in Royersford before he made the move to Philly.

Sucks

32. Great event! Nice to meet ya'll. Standouts for me were the Fantasia, this years Bcbcs, and those wontons.

PhillyTapFinder likes this.
  33. Its gonna be tough to do it anywhere else after the spread that handy nasty laid out. Food was fantastic as always....beers weren't bad either

34. We have a couple ideas in mind. The next one is unfortunately a smaller space, but it will be during the week, so it should work out fine in terms of numbers. Once it gets a little warmer out, we have a good idea for an outdoor space.

InspectorBob likes this.
  35. the jamaican jerk shack on south street would be awesome... if they didn't charge a corkage fee for every bottle of beer and wine opened. we spent more on corkage fees than we did on food with a group of 15 there once.

36. Lucky Dragon on Darby Road on a Thursday or Sunday for all you can eat... I'm assuming we paid a grand for Han, roughly. Lucky Dragon would probably be stoked with half that rate. Only problem would be parking.

37. that was actually our idea. Did I tell you that on Sunday? We'll try to figure something out. Maybe have the corkage fee included in the $15. Or maybe they'd waive it for bringing so many people. Keep the ideas coming.

38. parking isn't a problem for me... since i can walk there ;)
    but seriously... i couldn't see that place working at all, unfortunately.

39. nope. didn't tell me. they are kind of head in the clouds there --- when we told them we were coming with a huge group how corkage fees would work, they said it would be waived after a couple bottles. it wasn't. might want to get them to put in writing anything they say that isn't a complete ripoff because it was something like $5 for wine bottles (which they would probably consider any cork & cage beer bottles) and $1 for every bottle of beer (yes, even 12oz bottles).
    and they weren't very easy to argue with. haha.

PhillyTapFinder likes this.