1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Philly Bottle Shops

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by griffeyb, Feb 21, 2013.

1. griffeyb

griffeyb Savant (325) Pennsylvania Oct 15, 2010

Would appreciate recommendations on the best bottle shops in Philly for selection and price. Thanks very much.
  2. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Price is going to be all over the map. On the other hand, landing Russian River or Cantillon can dull the pain.
    The Foodery (2 locations)
    Beer Heaven
    The Beer Shoppe (Ardmore)
    I've had experience with these 3, and recommend them. Locatable via google (all have websites and are reviewed on Yelp) and your friendly neighborhood gps.
  3. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

there's also:

food and friends (20th and spruce)
    hawthornes (11th and fitzwater)
    the bottle shop (E passyunk)
    local 44 bottle shop (44th and spruce)

these are all in different neighborhoods of the city, expect a nice selection and high prices at all of them, with the best variety most likely at hawthornes, beer heaven and the 2nd/poplar location of the foodery.
    Squidly likes this.
  4. Squidly

Another vote for Hawthornes. There's also a beer distributor across the street which carries some pretty cool items sometimes (cases of Russian River, etc.)
  5. I saw a case of, I think, Lost Abbey Angel's Share there. It was at least $450. It's not Bella Vista's fault as those cases are expensive, I just thought it was hilarious.
  6. Are all the mentioned places cases only. I know local 44 isn't.
  7. Except for the Bella Vista distributor, all of the places listed above sell individual bottles / mix 6s and some six packs.
  8. griffeyb

Thanks for the suggestions! One more important question, if you were to have a gathering of friends on a Thursday night, where would you go? I have had Monk's and Eulogy thrown out there as options. I have not been to either. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.
  9. Monk's and Eulogy are favorites of mine but in my experience are especially crowded at peak times like Thursday/Friday evenings, so it might be hard to get a table for a group. You can always check them out and have good fallback options nearby (Good Dog / Nodding Head / Jose Pistolas / countless others for Monks; Khyber Pass Pub / Bierstube for Eulogy).
  10. Monks is a small and cramped place, and is not condusive to large groups. especially at night, and definitely not on weekends. This might be do-able on a weekday afternoon, though. Depending on how large your group is.
    I've always had luck with large groups at City Tap House in University City. Jose Pistolas might be a good bet, too, if you don't want to head over the river. Place has 2 floors and shouldn't be too crowded on a thursday night.
  11. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

If you want to hit up several locations then maybe checking out Hawthorne's/Bella Vista/the Foodery would be the best neighborhood for you to go to. There are plenty of great bars around there within walking distance from each other as well as the three aforementioned places to buy beer to go. If you're looking for a one stop bar/bottle shop I would recommend Local 44. When I lived in West Philly it was one of my favorite bars in the city and I find their bottle shop to be one of the more consistent when it comes to pricing and selection.
  12. Squidly

Every one of these places is small and cramped. Go in knowing what you'll see (a packed house) and you'll be fine. Be patient. Find a place to stand. Work your way to bar and get a beer. Brauhaus Schmitz is another good German place.

If you have an iPhone, consider the "Philly Beer Tour" app. It'll give you on-the-fly inspiration and reviews for your crawl.

If you can't handle small and cramped, go to Fado or Fox and Hound (Both near Monks.) What they lack in local flavor, food quality, and depth of taplist - they make up in sheer square footage.
  13. If your in the suburbs, the Wholefoods in Plymouth Meeting has an good selection with reasonable prices.
  14. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

check phillytapfinder.com to see what's on tap around town too, usually makes it much easier to decide between places that're close to each other.
  15. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

Misconduct is right near Fado and is usually full of craft taps. I've never been myself but I imagine it having less of a crowd than other craft beer spots. Perch Pub is right down the street too and that place is huge and usually empty.
    Squidly likes this.
  16. davey

davey Savant (275) Illinois Aug 18, 2006

As an out of towner here for a short time, Devil's Den is my favorite place. Really nice bottle/tap list, and bottles to go. Food is pretty good too. The staff is great and there's a fire place. Eulogy is my second favorite. Seems like it has a similar bottle/tap list as Monk's, but not as pricey or crowded.
  17. hhkal17

hhkal17 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

18. griffeyb

Which Foodery has the best selection?
  19. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

The Northern Liberties Foodery is much bigger than the one on 10th. The new Corner Foodery looks pretty big too
  20. griffeyb

Thanks!
  21. Your best best is to drive to the Surburbs and go to Wegmans. best bang for your buck! Foodery and other Philly Bottle shops are very overpriced.
  22. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Yeah they're overpriced, but the selection is unbeatable.
    Squidly likes this.
  23. Wegmans usually has pretty much everything that those bottle shops have. Belgiums and imported speicality's I would hit up the Philly bottle shops.
  24. Squidly

I've never seen Russian River or Cantillon at Wegmans. I've seen both at multiple Philly bottle shops.
  25. Damnation has been on the shelf's at Wegmans Malvern location a few times. Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting has a killer draft and bottle list too.