1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pig's Eye Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by HoppyJoe328, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Does anyone know if these guys are still brewing? It seems they maintain an active website, I have tried to contact them only to have emails bounce back as undeliverable.

Thanks.

2. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

Pig's Eye Lean was my go to as a college kid (2005ish). $9.99 a case, sure! Let's get lean! Store employees told my buddies and me that we were the only people who purchased the stuff.

3. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

I see the website is "under reconstruction" but presumed email addresses were active up until recently? Up 'til a year or two ago I saw retail placement for the cans.

4. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Schells owns the brand and has been brewing it in New Ulm for almost a decade.

5. brewseum

brewseum Savant (285) Minnesota Nov 11, 2004

Phil Gagne (former MN Brewing Co. brewmaster) and another guy bought the name from the MN. Brewing creditors and contract brewed it in LaCrosse and Stevens Point over the years. I believe there was a recent "settlement" that may have changed that,which they are not too happy with.

They are the same guys that also brew Pit Bull Ice Malt Liquor in the larger cans.

6. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

?

No they don't. It was brewed at City in Lacrosse until about a year ago. Owned by a dude who just contracted out the brewing.

7. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Odd because I swear the last time we toured Schells they had it in their sampling room and said they were brewing it? That was in 2004.

8. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

They might have been doing the contract brewing then, but they haven't been for a long time.

9. There are two TTB COLAs dated 11/18/13 for can labels for Pig's Eye Pilsner, so it doesn't sound like the beer is dead. Many more COLAs for their other brands (Pit Bull, Lean, Milwaukee Select) approved around the same time.

Interesting thing is the beers are still listed as being brewed at City-La Crosse but the dba brewery name is now "Evans Brewing Co., La Crosse WI" and the COLA was filled out by a company called BevLaw.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Chaz and BrettHead like this.
  10. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Legit one of the worst beers I've ever had. Worse than Stroh's.

11. Stroh's was good back when it was "fire-brewed"....right? Right?

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  12. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I remember a buddy got a keg of Pigs Eye for a party in college about 9 years ago. It was awful. Nothing of note to contribute to the thread, just thought you'd all like to know about my Pigs Eye experience.