1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pilsner glasses for IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I usually drink IPA's out of a goblet or pint glass but I have a flared pilsner glass I want to use and I'm wondering how common or acceptable it is to drink an IPA out of a pilsner glass.

2. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Acceptable to who? Take your beer and pour that shit into any glass you feel like! Drink it up man! lol...

3. Well pilsner glasses are thinner and I know for an ipa you want a wider mouth to release the aroma. Thats why I asked.

4. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

Generally if I have an IPA sixer I'll try different glasses, I've found that pilsner glasses give more of a straightforward hops profile as you drink them. Belgian tulip glasses will really bring forth the fruity profiles of a good IPA. Experiment! It's what brings out half the fun of craft beer! It's tough to get the Pils glass to temper the brew however.

kojevergas and ChefHopMeister like this.
  5. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I know man, I was just messing with you. I'm sure someone will give you the technical answer you are looking for.

Cheers!

6. From what I've read the tall, thin pilsner glasses (which I'm assuming is the kind you mean?) are mainly for presentation (showing off the clarity and light color of a pilsner) and a little head retention. I'd recommend a tulip for IPA's.

That said, glassware doesn't make that big of a difference. Drink out of whatever makes you happy.

7. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

i pour everything into this just to feel like a bad ass.
    [​IMG]

dsal89, gcamparone, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  8. Beer bongs are the only "true" way to appreciate the complexities of the tannins and high levels of alpha acids that are present in most IPA's.

Morey, BrewmanCapote, AdamP and 3 others like this.
  9. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

If you're not breaking out your beer bong right now, your behind the game!

Cvescalante likes this.
  10. bosse

bosse Aficionado (115) Sweden Apr 27, 2009

the best glasses to drink IPA┬┤s in are big wine glasses

11. I use this type of Pilsner glass from time to time (I think it's kind of nice as an all-purpose glass, though a bitch to keep clean):
    [​IMG]

tectactoe likes this.
  12. I use weizen glasses for double IPAs. Whatever floats your boat!

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  13. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

I just got some Goose Island Summer Wheat Pilsner glasses that are great for anything. I drink a lot of IPA's so those go in there. Honestly, I don't notice a lot of difference between a shaker pint and a tasting tulip. If you like the glass, use it.

14. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

It makes a taste difference, but let's not get crazy. You'd drink it from the bottle if you had no glass. I say that, but then, I hate straight sided pints for really fragrant beers. So I'm a damn hypocrite.
    Anything that flares out and then narrows will do for me, but I prefer snifters and globes because then I can look like a bigger jerk when I drink. :)

But if you worry about the glass you use, you're doing it wrong.

seakayak likes this.
  15. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (310) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I always pour mine in an Oversized wine glass. Cause I love to smell em. At least for the first time Im drinking a new IPA.

dennis3951 likes this.
  16. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You have my permission

jmw likes this.
  17. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

drink it form one of these pils glasses:
    [​IMG]

18. IPA in a Pilsner glass, you will burn in BA hell!!

BetterBeerPlz, JEdmund and Zimbo like this.
  19. I feel like such an unsophisticated heel. I rarely bother with a glass and just bottle feed !!! ;)

20. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Your beer. Doesn't really matter. I have a Hitachino Nest pils glass that I drink a lot of my IPAs out of.

BrettHead likes this.
  21. Yeah, but all the other poured IPAs will be pointing at it and laughing. Justifiably of course.

BrettHead likes this.
  22. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

There was a bar around here in Cambridge that was selling Hopslam in Pilsner glasses. It still tasted like Hopslam and I don't believe that the Bros ever wrote them a citation.

alucard6679 likes this.
  23. Does it matter if it's common or acceptable? Do what feels right - even if that means drinking beer from a sippy cup.

Highbrow and BrettHead like this.
  24. I prefer my hoppy beers in Pilsner glasses over Tulips. Call me crazy or wrong but that's just my preference.

25. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (335) Texas Dec 18, 2011

I drink all my beer out of a Yahtzee shaker...

26. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I've drank porters out of my pilsner glass too. For some reason it's soothing to see something long dark ;)

27. I drink IPA's out of pilsner style glasses all the time. Alot of people will probably disagree with me, but to me its either pour it in a glass or don't. Who cares what glass. Heady Topper demands you drink it from the can so who knows....

28. Good Pour!

29. I've drank IPAs out of a pilesener glass. Tasted just fine.

30. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Sounds risky. I wouldn't try it.

beerophilia and JEdmund like this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I love Pils glass my last one broke, do it. And I don't like to drink out of shaker pints, I absolutely hate them. I have some that are cool to collect, but as a drinking tool they suck.

32. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Pour it in and try. Not trying to be an ass, but pour an IPA into a pils glass and try it. That is the only way you will know how the glass showcases the beer.

Internet forums are great for asking questions, but sometimes the answer lies within your own experience.

33. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

I'll drink my beer in whatever I find on you after I take your lunch money and give you an atomic wedgie.

Hopportunistic likes this.
  34. Quit apologizing, you're not that far off. I have my personal geeky technical opinions of glassware vs. the beer style and unless you have a big glassware collection, pour it into whatever vessel floats your boat, the aroma and "overall experience" may be compromised a little but it won't kill the flavor.

35. :eek: I have a pretty generous collection of eclectic glassware with some really cool stuff but THAT has to be THE coolest piece I've ever seen...hands down. (I'd probably drink any style of beer out of that one just for the coolness factor.)

36. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I'll do it. What the hell. My only pilsener glass is very similar to my tulip anyway.

Frankly, I have no issue drinking any beer out of anything ... so long as its beer.