1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pilsner Malt with Ale Yeast???

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SenorHops, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I'm putting together a Blond Ale recipe and would like to use Pilsner Malt with US-05 yeast. I plan on ferementing in the low 60's. Does anyone see a problem with this or have experience with this? Should it taste OK?

2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

It will be just fine. Do a 90 minute boil. There's no rule that says you can't use pilsner malt with ale yeast. If there is then there's some monks that need to revisit the rule book.

3. Hogie

Hogie Aficionado (130) Michigan Mar 19, 2008

I've used pilsner malt for a number of different styles. Perfectly fine.

4. SenorHops

What the reasoning behind the 90 Minute boil?

5. leedorham

Pilsner malt has more DMS precursors (smells like corn). Boiling longer ensures these are driven off. Open up a sack of pilsner malt and take a whiff.

6. Pils malt typically has a higher concentration of SMM, the precursor to DMS. A 90 minute boil ensures that enough SMM is driven off. I have done plenty of saisons and dubbels with just a 60 minute boil, but YMMV.

7. Pils malt has more SMM since it is kilned at lower temps. In the boil SMM reacts to DMS. A longer boil gets rid of it at the higher level.

8. Hogie

Pilsner malt has more of the pre-cursers to dms, and a longer vigorous boil drives them off. Dms = cooked vegetable off flavors

9. SenorHops

I should have mentioned that this was Pilsner extract. Does that make a difference? Either way, a 90 minute boil is not a problem.

10. Hogie

Don't worry about it with extract then. Would already have been boiled off in making extract.

11. leedorham

Yes, it makes a difference. You don't need to boil for 90 minutes.

12. You also have a ligher wallet, as you pay someone to do that work.

13. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (320) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

I use Cargill pilsen malt, usually i boil 60 mins and have no DMS problem, even brewing very pale beers.In fact, there is an argentinian style of beer called ^Dorada Pampeana^ (Golden Pampas),it is made with just pilsen malt,a pinch of crystal 20 or 30 and SAF-04 dry yeast , i have brewed this style boiling 60 mins,no issues.

14. SenorHops

Thanks guys.

15. Many commercial brewers over here use Pilsner malt in some of their ales.That's when they want a very pale beer where the malt flavours take a back seat to the hops , the so-called "Golden Ales" which are targeted at young drinkers or those who normally drink lagers.

16. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Pilsner malt has more SMM since it is kilned at lower temps. In the boil SMM reacts to DMS. A longer boil will help avoid those flavors
    (I just wanted to join the party) Seriously though, four almost identicle posts in a row all within a couple minutes...that is funny.

Troegs uses pilsner malt for their base (in all or most of their beers), and those are some pretty damn tasty beers.