1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pilsner Urquell Launches Major Freshness Initiative Campaign

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Jul 12, 2012.

1. “I picked up a nice fresh case of Prima Pils ("Enjoy By Jan. 07, 2013")” There is the ‘answer’ right there!

Cheers!
    chuckstout likes this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Ha! It looked like a 4 pack but it's a sixer. I didn't bother to read the box...it's wider on the bottom than the top, which makes sense. And I do remember that old packaging...
  3. Well, that's a nice surprise - 2 "free" bottles of Pilsner Urquell you didn't expect. Better than any Crackerjack prize I ever got.
    Bitterbill and Spikester like this.
  4. Bitterbill

The old sixers used to sell at +$9 so when I saw the express cold ones for $8 something, I just assumed. The old adage goes, assume and you make an ass out of u and me.;)
  5. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

So I hope this will make BB happy in some way -- I picked up a nice 12 pack of Urquell ($12 sale) -- new packaging with the cool "Express Shipping" tag-line, from the beer cooler -- and yes, best by Apr 18 2013.

And what d'ya know... pretty much the same evaluation that I gave that nasty, stale old can above.

About the only difference I might add is a crisper, more prominent hop character (Saaz is so good). But the malts and that mild diacetyl are still there -- oh yeah, and no skunk! Then again, I haven't had a skunky Urquell in a very long time.

To my nose the hop aroma is more herbal, even more woody, than I recall in the past. A result of a fresher, better handled beer? Probably.

My vote on the new system is positive -- at this stage. Ask me again when I grab the next 12 pack and it's somewhat close to or out-of-date and may not have been kept cold the whole time.
  6. Bitterbill

To be short and sweet, if you liked it, I'm happy. I'll definitely be buying more though I wish I'd see $12 12 packs here.
  7. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

I picked-up a 4 pack of cans today at the new Marino's Market in Elmhurst, IL $4.49 was hard to pass up.

Bought cold (and consumed cold...) I thought they were very tasty. Given the recent hot humid weather, I was really in the mood for a decent pilsner and it hit the spot.
    I hope this is a successful campaign for them and other European brewers follow suit
  8. Spikester

Spikester Savant (425) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

Picked up a 4 pack of "express shipped cold" cans this evening. Best by date of Jan 18, 2014. So if 9 months is the best by interval then it was brewed or canned April 18, 2013. My impression is this is a better beer than the older cans and has more flavor depth and richness in both hops and malts. Very nice beer.
  9. DallasAlice

DallasAlice Aspirant (35) Texas Jul 9, 2013

All Pilsner Urquell comes to the US pasteurized, kegs included. If they ship cold it should stay cold, better to have it shipped hot pasteurized(stabilized) than to leave it out at 80F once its already been refrig'ed. Also the house character has diminished to a faint whisp as once Miller got ahold of them they doubled the brewing output by installing stainless steel equipment(see BASS). So the only really noble beer is the unfiltered and oaked output that goes to the local bars. If they are going to ship it cold, why not ship it unpasteurized?
    Another one bites the dust !
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  10. "If they are going to ship it cold, why not ship it unpasteurized?" Exactly!

Cheers!
    • (Pilsner Urquell)... is reduced in character since the wooden fermenters and largering vessels were replaced by stainless steel." --- M. Jackson, S&S Pocket Guide to Beer, 5th Ed., 1996
    Vav, drtth, ChipMurray and 1 other person like this.
  11. I've bought 3 six packs over the last couple of months, from two different stores (two supermarkets). The beer had been sitting in the cooler, not on the floor, and all 3 six packs were about 2 to 3 months from reaching the sell by date . I started drinking it probably 20 - 25 years ago and I'll agree it doesn't have all of the flavor it once did, but I still think it's one of the better pilsners.
    TongoRad and herrburgess like this.
  12. Yeah- the malt quality seems lighter. It comes across as being more neutral, sort of 'International Style' (if I may coin a term- meaning that it doesn't seem to have a sense of place of origin). The freshness and price are still reasonable enough for an occasional purchase, but for a better Czech Pils experience I will go with Zatec these days.
    JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  13. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Definitely a useful term to coin and I'll help (hopefully) by adopting it. It describes and explains several things quite nicely both in the realm of beer and the more general context of foods and of other beverages as well.
    TongoRad likes this.
  14. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (355) Italy Apr 19, 2009

I haven't been drinking Pilsner Urquell for anywhere near 20 years, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing but I quite like it.
    I do tend to avoid buying it though when it's 2 to 3 months before the sell by date. I find it much brighter when it's only 2 or 3 months old.
  15. Good point, and honestly I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek by using the phrase 'coin a term'. It definitely exists and has meaning in the wine world, though I haven't seen it applied to beer before. I think it does fit in this case ( and perhaps a few more).
  16. DallasAlice

DallasAlice Aspirant (35) Texas Jul 9, 2013

I remember the old bottles that had the castle and clan? shield raised on the bottle. Now slowly the quality will continue to fade away, in lieu of profits. I remember Grolsch(now Miller..whatever) when it first was being imported it had a very good house character and Spaltz hops were evident. Now the pop top bottles are less than 16oz, its pasteurized and I swear it tastes more like Miller High Life each time I try it(hint-corn adjunct). Now its really not worth a purchase. You are best to seek out German unfilitered lager or a good strong bock these daze. I am a loggerhead because I like to drink beer not some sweet adult high-alcohol beverage(or max over hopped lopsided ales) which is most of the fancy ale that is brewed here in the USA. WE NEED A LAGER REVOLUTION HERE IN THE USA. All sweet ale just becomes a sappy taste in your mouth after one or two. Noitce that even the best belgian pales(mostly Triple) are relatively dry in character, if they are classic?

17. Well you could visit Arizona on November 8th...

http://www.draftmag.com/pilsner/index.php?age=y&page=

and as an aside, I'm "Andrew from Michigan" and I won a Micro Matic Freedom Kegerator. Not too shabby.
    mjtierney2 and JackHorzempa like this.