Pilsners and Lagers considered Craft?!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thecraftculture, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After talking to some people about the line drawn for what is a craft beer and what isn't. Most people confirmed that Pilsners and Lagers are not to be considered "Craft Beer".

I find this theory lacking rhyme and reasoning. Pilsners and Lagers to me are simply just another style or type of beer that, depending on the brewery, can or cannot be considered a "Craft Beer".

Thoughts?!

2. I think you're talking to the wrong people.

3. An illogical assumption that an entire style is less than craft. Lagering is a process that consumes boatloads of time, and at the risk of ticking off those outside of mass, jacks Abby has redefined craft lager, so I consume boatloads of jacks Abby brews! Try a kiwi rising, a hoponius union, perhaps a prima pils (victory) and then tell me those beers ain't craft. Cheers!

4. "Craft beer" isn't well-defined, but I've never met anyone who would exclude all lagers from the category.

Duff27 likes this.
  5. mattbk

mattbk Savant (400) New York Dec 12, 2011

pilseners, helles, marzens, munich dunkels, schwarzbiers, rauchbiers, bocks, maibocks, doppelbocks, eisbocks, kellerbiers. all excluded? wrong.

6. wspscott

wspscott Savant (490) Kentucky May 25, 2006

Prima Pils, enough said!

Your friends are morons

7. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Jack's Abbey
    /end thread

JrGtr likes this.
  8. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Just because the best lagers don't hold a candle to the better ales doesn't mean they're not craft! ;)

Gotti311 likes this.
  9. Picked up some private rye biere de garde and its described as being a warm fermented lager. Tastes like pure craft!

10. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Unfortunately most people drink BMC produced Lagers. Then you have Miller Lite calling themselves a "True Pilsner". Perhaps this is causing confusion with most people.

11. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

I think the problem arises from the fact that the people you are talking to have not yet learned enough about beer and how it is produced.

12. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I really doubt "most people" believe this. (and those people that do lack a whole lot of knowledge)

13. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (310) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I think the Germans would beg to differ. They are the ones who perfected a lot of the lager styles to begin with and who in the hell would argue that Germans don't produce some of the best beer on earth? The term craft beer should be used to classify the best. The brewers who take time to perfect their ales and lagers. You are having conversations with the wrong folks. I Guess these lads have never had a Eliot Ness or a Dortmunder Gold. Both are incredibly flavorful lagers and the best in their respected styles. There are some good pilsners out there as well. You can't call a brewery like FFF the best craft brewery on earth and then say their munsterfest marzen, jinx proof Dortmunder isn't a craft beer. It's the brewers making the craft beer. Not to mention the group lager is far beyond just a few styles. What are doppelbocks not craft beer either? That's what these people are stating to you. Id tell them they need to experience more beers before they even begin talking to me what's craft and what's not

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  14. Ok, I got to go full-snob on this one, I am sorry. Loving lagers like I do, I can't resist.

1.) Anyone that starts a sentence with "Pilsners and lagers" doesn't know much about beer.
    2.) All sorts of lagers, including various pilsners, are brewed by the craft community.
    3.) The "line" on what is craft beer and what isn't has nothing to do with the style being brewed, never mind where the yeast ferments from (bottom fermenting vs. top fermenting).
    4.) Order these folks you speak of a round of Weinstephaner Korbinian, Victory Prima Pils, Sam Adams Noble Pils or Brooklyn Lager next time you're out and about.

TMoney2591, dianimal and rlcoffey like this.
  15. Do "most people" consider Clydesdales to be horses?

16. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Sorry, but this thread ended long before Jack Abby decided to Americanize the fuck out of lagers.

decadance, jkblodge and jampics2 like this.
  17. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (310) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Probably. But if you are choosing to drink BMC and miller light then you have no business having a conversation about craft beer. Most of the craft beer world is research, info, and learning. I myself do far more research and reading than I do drinking and I have a beer everyday. But usually I have a beer researched hours before buying. My point is before I got into craft beer I didn't sit around talking like I knew everything about brewing. In fact I knew there were bigger and better things than even the Samuel Adams I was drinking.

18. Where the line is drawn for craft beer has nothing to do with styles. If people think so, that's just ignorance.

Ultimately, I think the term "craft beer" means next to nothing (at least in this context) and will become a passe' term. So the Brewers Association should stop pulling their hair out trying to constantly redefine it.

TapeDeck likes this.
  19. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Make them pay of course.

Providence and BeerKangaroo like this.
  20. Yeah- it probably ended with jesskidden's post. That statement in the OP says more about those who said it than about any style of beer or definition of 'craft'. It's amazing how certain people only look at 50% of the story and claim to know the whole book.

thecraftculture likes this.
  21. Sounds like you're talking to idiots.

Brunite likes this.
  22. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

So pilsners and other types of lager cannot be brewed with small (or smaller) scale attention and quality? Absurd! Ever try a New Glarus Two Women? Or a Victory Prima Pils? Or Sierra Nevada Summerfest? These prove that any beer, be it ale or lager, can be ''craft''

Providence likes this.
  23. Faceplam!

frazbri and steveh like this.
  24. Let me guess, these people are relatively new to good beer and they're into big beer.

decadance, Norica, jbertsch and 2 others like this.
  25. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Never mind that Pilsners are Lagers, your friends need to get more info than they're getting from Facebook & Twitter.

BeerKangaroo and klaybie like this.
  26. Pilsner and Lager are just two styles of beer. You can't eliminate entire styles!

27. Providence likes this.
  28. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Actually, Lager encompasses a lot of different styles that shouldn't be eliminated!

Uniobrew31 and Providence like this.
  29. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I guess what I mostly came here to say has been beat to death already, so I'll pass on that.
    I will, however submit that a good pilsner is harder to make than a good IPA. It's sassy enough to bung a s-load of hops in your kettle and call it an Imperial DIPA, but to make a clean, crisp, well-balanced pils take a lot more delicate touch.

30. A good craft pilsner makes for an excellent session beer IMO.

31. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Totally agree, I usually don't enjoy session beers, but a well crafted pilsner is perfect for grilling.

32. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (385) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Your "people" have bad information. Get them a bottle of anything by Ayinger. If the light doesn't start to come on let them stay stupid.

33. This times 10 million.

34. Tell them to drink Victory Prima Pils, and Sixpoint The Crisp and see if they still have the audacity to say that Lagers/Pilsners are not craft!

Providence likes this.
  35. Sam Adams Noble Pils really is good and seems to stand out from a lot of their average beers. I had Lagunitas Pils and I didnt think it was as good. Brooklyn Pilsner and Redhook Pilsner were ok. I still need to try Oskar Blues Mamas Little Yella Pills. Sierra Nevada Summerfest was the hoppiest Pilsner Ive had and didnt taste like your standard pilsner.

craigo19 likes this.
  36. Your friends sound like uninformed, trendy craft assholes.

thecraftculture likes this.
  37. Your friends are idiots.

thecraftculture and craigo19 like this.
  38. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I think you are giving them too much credit. If they were into big beer, they wouldnt exclude lagers.

39. Also, inform them that Bourbon County isn't a craft beer. Their minds will be blown.

mattbk likes this.
  40. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

This is a joke, right????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.