1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pinch Me! Goose Island IPA 12 Packs!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuniperJesus, Mar 9, 2013.

1. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I'd but honkers as a decent ale to have at gatherings or for others. Wasnt a fan of the IPA

DelMontiac and sunkistxsudafed like this.
  3. That's a good beer and a steal at $1 a beer. Wow.

jrnyc, dar482, Mitchell57 and 4 others like this.
  4. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Behold, the power of the world's largest multi-national brewing corporation.

5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (540) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Hell they're brewing that beer in our back yard (Ft. Collins) these days! Not surprised at all, decent beer at a proce it should be sold at.

6. yeh, AB bought them some "toys" over at Goose

Providence likes this.
  7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Love it.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  8. TTAmod

TTAmod Savant (315) Illinois Oct 4, 2008

The IPA is okay...it's a bit too soapy for my tastes.

DStoked likes this.
  9. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I've always liked the IPA. Honkers, though, is a bit more special. Really a great one.

10. Got Stone IPA for about the same price recently (as a case). Way better beer. Though I do like GI IPA.

11. This 3 beers will be $4.99 each 6 pack at the liquor store i usually go to.. i dont know if they are promoting or this beer is not selling well.

12. Goose Island IPA was one of my first drain pours. I really need to revist it sometime since I am accustomed to the style now.

13. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Cheaper than we get it here in Chicago. Id pick up a honkers asap!

Shame the 312 has been ruined. It was such a great beer before AB

14. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

"Cause you're gonna go to the beer store. You're gonna give em all your money...
    "The big beer company's gonna gimme lots of money and everything's gonna be all right."

Mitchell57 and Hopmother like this.
  15. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Here's the big question -- where was it brewed? The Goose Island regulars I've been getting lately all say brewed and bottled in Chicago, but I haven't seen the IPA 12 packs yet.

16. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

That code on the side of the mild winter will tell where it is brewed but I don't know the ones that aren't typical around here.

17. No code reading necessary on the GI labels I see...

[​IMG]

18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Eh.

19. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I thought they were brewing goose core brands all over at AB breweries?

20. The two I know of are Baldwinsville and Ft. Collins, CO. I assume they're listing the actual brewing city on the individual labels from each. (I've only seen keg labels from CO, however, so not sure.)

EDIT: Ft. Collins GI label:

[​IMG]

The TTB COLA's seem to be made out only to one AB brewery each, not all 11.

21. Pretty sure the Fort Collins brewery only makes the 312 and Honker's, at least that was the case (ha, get it?) a couple months ago.

22. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

I really like their IPA, unique.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  23. TTB COLA's exist also for Summertime and IPA from Ft. Collins but that doesn't necessarily mean they've been brewed there (yet).

24. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

The Inbev effect

25. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

same cheap packaging as Bud and Bud lite 12pks and probably beechwood aged too.

SammyJaxxxx and Schwantz like this.
  26. I like that IPA. Honkers has a time and place as well. Nice price too.

27. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Honkers is a good party beer when you are having craft and non craft drinkers there. I didn't personally care for their IPA before and doubt that it's gotten any better with the change in ownership. I doubt we'll get it at that price here in Chicago though.

28. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (650) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

Idk why this is big news? I'm pretty sure they always had 12 packs of Goose Island IPA.

29. mfnmbvp

The OP is from Illinois also, so quite possibly we will! I just found some of the Goose Island Harvest Ale 12 packs for like $6.99 a week ago.

mecummins likes this.
  30. steveh

I almost always get my 12 packs in the N. Suburbs at $12 a 12 pack when they're on sale. Gotta get away from that Cook County gouge! ;)

JuniperJesus and mecummins like this.
  31. steveh

No, just six packs and in the mixed "Pub Pack." Believe me, I've looked!

*Edit: In fact, it hasn't been updated at the Goose site yet:

32. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Just as we finally get Goose Island in Texas it seems everyone hates them. Oh well.

33. steveh

The good thing is, you can make up your own mind!

34. mfnmbvp

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't buy a pack of gum in Cook County. I'm from DuPage County, and it hardly seems like anyone here even knows what craft beer is, so it works out to my advantage =)

35. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Goose Island IPA is a very good, solid English IPA. Honker's is nectar of the Gods.

Mandark and steveh like this.
  36. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I thought Honkers was kind of boring. Maybe I'll have to revisit it. I like their IPA well enough. It's not overly complicated, reasonably sessionable, and relatively approachable for non-IPA lovers. I don't know if I would seek out a 12 pack (although at that price, it might be worth it for the right situation), but I've shared a few pitchers of GI IPA with friends before.

We're just getting Goose Island products in Wyoming. So far we just have the IPA, 312, and Honkers. I know they're not the most loved brewery these days, but in a beer isolated state, I'm happy to see anything new.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  37. More beer for you.

38. CoachC

CoachC Aficionado (165) Florida Nov 25, 2012

My last Goose Island IPA was not impressive at all. I looked at the bottle, and it said brewed in Baldwinsville, NY (Budweiser plant). I guess I will have to try it again.

39. That's nice. For whatever punk reason I concocted initially, I've never really been big on GI, nothing about the product but the sale only magnified that initial punk impression I had. Enjoy!

40. jackndan

jackndan Advocate (565) Illinois Feb 25, 2002

I tried the Goose Island IPA and loved it.

JuniperJesus likes this.