1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pine aroma

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by chadonde, Dec 8, 2012.

1. chadonde

chadonde Zealot (95) New York Dec 5, 2008

Hi everyone,

What hop--or combination of hops--have you had the most success with when it comes to getting a clean pine aroma in a pale ale or IPA?

Thanks!

2. I did a kit a couple months back from NB called chinook ipa that used solely chinook hops and it was nice and piney and resiny.... And delicious!!

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  3. The hop that provides pine flavor/aroma to me is Simcoe.

I brewed a solely hopped Simcoe IPA a couple of years ago and it turned out great. I brewed an Amarillo/Simcoe IPA last year (my attempt to clone Alpine Duet) and it that beer turned out real well. The citrus (orange) that the Amarillo brings is complemented well by the Simcoe pine. I brewed a Zythos/Simcoe IPA a little over a month ago and it is just starting to be drinkable; Zythos & Simcoe is another great combination.

Cheers!

4. Chinook and Simcoe without a doubt. Summit if used in moderation with some other non-piney hops

Mosaic...I hope...looking to brew with them soon.

5. Chinook does the trick. I'm really starting to love this hop.

ithacabaron likes this.
  6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Those are the two usual suspects. HBC-342 has a touch. Zythos produces a bit of pine as well, but probably because it contains Simcoe or Chinook.

7. You are tempting me to add some Simcoe and Chinook to my "Ryethos" IPA

8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Awesome name... That does sound pretty tasty.

I did a Falconers, Falconers 7C's and Zythos IPA called "Zythos Flight over the Seven 7Cs", which is probably the lamest beer name I've ever come up with. Attributed to writers block.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  9. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I have a black Ila with a small percent of smoked malt in there that I used only Chinook and simcoe. I'll let you know how it comes out - I'm bottling tomorrow.
    My basic plan was to brew something that evokes a night camping out in the woods.

10. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Chinook and Simcoe for sure. I think I'm going to brew a simcoe IPA next and have that available for spring time drinking.

11. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Chinook. I've brewed with Simcoe a few times including a side by side Single Hop IPA vs. Chinook. What I found was a passionfruit dominant aroma from the Simcoe and a more distinct pine resin aroma from the Chinook. Hope this helps.

12. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (290) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

Chinook.

Columbus, Centennial, and Simcoe to a lesser extent. Summit and Apollo can add some of that West Coast dankness, but not necessarily pine per se.

13. A lot of Northwestern hops have a pine vibe, but Chinook and Simcoe are the two that come to mind first.

14. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I am suprised at all the Simcoe responses. I get no pine from this hop. Maybe my senses are off!

15. It seems that you might have an ‘issue’ with perceiving the compound 4MMP? You might be interested to know that women (most women?) have a tendency to perceive 4MMP as cat pee.

Below is a quote of a hopfenunmaltz post:

“Catty comes from a compound called 4MMP, men get pine out of it, women get cat piss. I always ask the wife to smell a piney beer, and she say cat pee. Simcoe and Citra are known to have it.”\

Cheers!

16. Treb0R

I get neither pine, nor cat pee from Citra. Rather, I get intense lychee and mango.

What gender does that make me?

With Simcoe, I get pine and musty tropical fruit. No cat pee. I do detect a cat pee/gooseberry nature in Nelson Sauvin hops... and certain white wines, especially Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand.

17. I get tropical fruits from Citra as well.

I made an all Citra hopped IPA and friends of my wife drank it (a couple: one man and one woman). I asked how they like it and both loved it but the guy mentioned that it smelled of cat pee and the woman readily agreed. I ‘tried’ to perceive the cat pee but I couldn’t (and neither could my wife).

Everybody had got their own palate (regardless of gender).

Cheers!

18. Manly Simcoe!...and for the record...BO is not always a negative aroma, even though it is commonly associated with oxidized hops..

Attn premierpro: Brewing a Simcoe/Pine Nut brew shortly...suggestions?

19. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Do you actually taste pine from pine nuts?

20. They don't taste like citrus...that's for sure. Seriously, the pine nuts we harvest locally here are from Pin~ion Pine and they do have a piney quality (go figure)...not sure what a beer made with them will taste like though...cheers.

21. premierpro

I have never brewed with Pine Nuts before but it sounds interesting. Whenever I think of nuts and beer I think Brown Ale but to showcase the Simcoe and Pine Nuts my tastes would probably head towards a Pale Ale made from Marris Otter and a touch of 40L. Good luck!

22. premierpro

Thanks for the info! Some people claim that Cluster smells of cat pee and I don't get that either. If I am drinking beer I would rather smell Pine then cat pee!

23. Treb0R

Don't be afraid of the cat pee descriptor. It's more of an intense musty tropicalness than anything else. Sometimes I feel that crushed cape gooseberries, or NZ Sauvignon Blanc, would be better describe "cat pee"... Just like earthy mushroom would more accurately describe "forest floor"... or pungent raw Marijuana for the vague word "dank".

The problem is that not a lot of people are familiar with cape gooseberry flavor to use that comparison. More of us own cats I guess.