1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pitching the yeast at a higher temperature?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by francisfilion, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

So I pitched my yeast into my fermentor at 95F and it started fermenting (vigorous activity) within 7 hours. It is in a room at 70F. I don't think it screwed anything up but would still like wour opinion on the subject!

Thanks.
  2. I forgot to mention its Wyeast 1056 American Ale into an American IPA all grain recipe...
  3. DocT

DocT Aficionado (120) Idaho May 14, 2009

No you didn't ruin your beer.

However, you should always try to pitch plenty of healthy active yeast at your desired fermentation temperature. It may cause some phenol and ester activity that will be slightly apparent in the final product, but nothing detrimental.
  4. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (320) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

Don´t worry, evrething´s gonna be alrigght.Maybe you will need to age this beer a little longer, but there is nothing to worry about it.
  5. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (180) New York Aug 3, 2012

On a contrary of what most brewer will say, Ale yeast will stand any abuse under 115°F, as long as you keep basic
    Sensitization standards.
    Out of range temperature, might produce diverse yeast flavor, obviously diverse beer result, but reasonable fermentation process always yield nice drinkable beer.
    You can always use controlled temp or wet T-shirt + fan.
    Happy fermentation
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

95F is going to produce a higher than normal amount of Esters and almost certainly some Fusels. How much will depend on a few other factors, including what yeast strain you used. At any rate, the result is going to be different. Whether it's drinkable will depend on your tastes.
    jbakajust1, Naugled and kjyost like this.
  7. I predict a burning sensation when you swallow and headaches.

While higher temps are great for the yeast growth and activity, it is terrible for the quality of the beer. Commercial breweries will pitch below the fermentation temp, and let the temperature rise.

The most important part of making quality beer is pitching healthy yeast in the right amount into aerated wort at the right tiemperaturey, and temperature control of the fermentation.
    nickfl and jbakajust1 like this.
  8. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

Personally, I didn't make even passable beer until I got fermentation temperatures under control and I find it hard to believe people can make good beer without it. Sometimes I think people like their own homebrew just because they made it.

*I will say I drank every god-awful bottle of homebrew I've ever made. Makes you want to fix the mistakes on the next batch even more if you know you have to choke down 50 bottles. :)
    bgjohnston likes this.
  9. If you have not read howtobrew.com, you should. Buy a copy if you stick with the hobby, the third edition has more information than the online first edition, and John Palmer gets some money for all of his work.

This section has what I talked about. Anyone who said above that the beer will be "fine" should read this section.
    http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-1-3.html

It will be beer, but not very good beer.
  10. Alright thanks for your input I guess i'll wait it out and see if my mistake was passable...some say not to worry others say it'll be hardly drinkable :( anyways seems only patience will give me the answer. On the bright side the temperature of the fermentor had time too cool before an active fermentation started which brings my hopes up!!
  11. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

For future reference: the first hours of fermentation are the most important in terms of the production of esters and the potential for off flavors. Many of us try to pitch at few degrees below the intended fermentation temperature for this reason. Doing that gives the yeast a bit of slower start, but also helps to prevent the formation of some nasty flavors like diacetyl.

1056 is a very neutral yeast, but as other have said, at the temp you started at, we would have to expect some fusels, so the beer might have a hot, solvent-like flavor to it. But, what's done is done. Brewing is a learning process, and as long as we learn from mistakes we keep getting better.
  12. Yeah I knew there would be a learning curve to follow now I now to cool the wort to below fermentation temperature and control the temperature...Like you said what is done is done and I guess that a longer stay in the secondary fermentor will better the odds of making a decent brew?
  13. VikeMan

There are pathways for reduction of fusels, but they are limited. If you have a bad fusel problem, it's not going to go away.
  14. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

This beer will most-likely not be fine. I did the same (pitched in the lower 90s) back in March. Fusel to all get out.
  15. Did the temperature have the time to cool down before it started fermentation? And if yes then the production of the fusels is due to the yeast stress of being pitched at a high temperature I geuss? What type of beer had you brewed or is it unrelated? Thanks for more info on your past experience!!
  16. VikeMan

It's not that high pitching temps stress the yeast. It's that fast propagation at those temps promotes the production of fusels. If I understand your original post, I think you pitched at 95F and let the wort sit at room temp. If so, it takes a long time for the wort to cool. And the yeast have been propagating for quite a while before you are seeing vigorous activity.
  17. Understood thanks! So the fusels are produced when the temperatures are too high...Lesson learned!!
  18. westerrell

westerrell Initiate (5) Sep 27, 2013

I know this post is a year old, but...

Pitching yeast at 95 degrees is not a big deal. Especially if its cooling to 70. I've done this many times. If it stayed at 90 for the entire duration of the fermentation then those off flavors would be noticeable. Its not ideal, but I doubt any poster here could pick the batch pitched at 95 with another identical batch pitched at 75. I live in Texas where the temp in my house in the summer is 95 in the day and maybe drops to 85 at night, and I'm making better beer now than when I was brewing in Washington state where temperatures are much more ideal. These people talking about fusels are simply repeating what they read somewhere else. Commercial brewers do a lot of things that home brewers need not do because they have a lot more riding on their product. Also I disagree that the statement that the first few hours are the most important. The sheer number of yeast doing fermentation 8 to 12 hours after pitching will make whatever happened in the first 2-3 negligible. Its like comparing the population of the earth 1000 years ago to today. Not to mention that the yeast begin producing alcohols in greater quantities once they use up the oxygen present which takes a while.
  19. VikeMan

Wow. I'll skip point by discussion and skip to the inevitable conclusion. If you like the results you're getting this way, keep on truckin'
  20. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

Trolling the homebrew forum...well done.
  21. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Welcome to BeerAdvocate. If you stick around for a while you will begin to recognize some of these folks have an almost encyclopaedic knowledge and a vast amount of experience. True that some simply repeat myths and hearsay, but many of the folks that offered feedback on this thread are not those folks.
    OddNotion likes this.
  22. BA tngolfer posted: “This beer will most-likely not be fine. I did the same (pitched in the lower 90s) back in March. Fusel to all get out.”

I personally am going to listen to what tngolfer posted on this topic. I would recommend that other BAs listen to tngolfer as well.

Cheers!
  23. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

I did the same thing with an english IPA.. Beer turned out like poo and that was after a month fermentation and 6 weeks in the bottle trying to get the rum flavor to go away. I wouldnt even bother with it personally.. that initial high temp pitch causes all kinds of shit flavors.. no joke. I poured all 5 gallons.
  24. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Pitching 'warm' -- yes, yes: 95° is too fook'n high no matter where you live -- followed by rapid cooling to just below the low end of the optimum fermentation temperature range within six hours or so t'ain't the kiss of death.
  25. In my experience, beers like this get dinged in competitions. Really dinged. If you like the beer, that is OK. Other palates may not like it due to hot fusels. I know this to be true.
  26. Thank you guys, I came on here worried that I'd cooked my yeast by pitching at 82. Feel much relieved!
  27. One of the best beers I ever crafted was a big IPA pitched around ~90 with 1056. I let the beer still 4+ months and it was quite tasty w/ minimal to no fusels. Good luck
  28. psychotia

psychotia Savant (350) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Say I pitched the yeast early (between 75 and 80, whoops) and upon discovering this cooled it as quickly as I could. Within 12 hours I was down to 61 and I plan on keeping it there for early primary fermentation. Is there a risk of excessive ester production from those twelve hours, or should it be fairly tame considering I have it down to my target now? I'm using wyeast 1469 and activity was observed within 2 hours, apparently reaching krausen sometime this morning.

And yes, hijacking/resurrecting this thread for my benefit :)
  29. VikeMan

My guess is that you may get some elevated esters. You did bring the temp down pretty quickly (almost unbelievably quickly), but OTOH the yeast got off to a very fast start (before you brought the temp down). Someone may point out that most esters form later in fermentation, but that's misleading, because esters are formed from fusels, and fusels are made very early. Essentially, once fusels have been made, the stage is set for the potential final ester profile.
  30. psychotia

psychotia Savant (350) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

I think I can live with a few more esters. Then again, what choice do I have? Thanks for the reply.

Oh and the temp fell thanks to my brand new swamp cooler. I already love it!
  31. ThomP

ThomP Aficionado (170) Texas Nov 22, 2007

So now after reading this whole thing, I wanna know how the beer tasted. Were the anti-95-degree'ers right or were the pitch in the 100's right? I have a feeling there is never ever going to be consensus on these types of questions,. Simply because it is so subjective, my perfect beer is someone else's drain pour. I did see a statement I did like on drinking all the crap beer the person had made, I've done that. Personally, I don't pitch yeast until the wort has cooled below 85F, usually I wait for the mid 70's, but you know sometimes at midnight when you finish brewing all you want is a nice bed to relax in.
  32. VikeMan

There may never be a consensus, but I bet an overwhelming majority of homebrewers and pro breweres would agree that 95F is way too high.
    jbakajust1 likes this.
  33. ThomP

ThomP Aficionado (170) Texas Nov 22, 2007

I would agree...