1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pittsburgh area bottle shops?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by BrandonOakes, Aug 19, 2013.

1. I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but who knows a good 6 pack shop that can expand my horizons? I know of Blue Dust but I want another place to try out.
  2. Thank you, I apologize for the misplacement.
  3. Also in for some recommendations.

I do most of my shopping at the Giant Eagle Market District in Robinson, which has a pretty solid selection, but I'm always looking for new places to check out.
  4. The search will be your friend. This has been covered plenty of times.
  5. I work, right next to Market District, I have definitely found the store to be good, but if I get off at 9, I can't buy when I get off.
  6. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

7. sammy806

sammy806 Savant (315) Maryland Feb 29, 2008

My friends and I went to Pittsburgh for a long weekend a couple years ago and, as much as we liked the places we visited in Pittsburgh, the place we really liked was Vintage Estates in Boardman, OH. We stayed near the airport and go there in about an hour. Don't know what part of Pittsburgh you're in but you may want to consider trying out at least once. Great selection. We got a tray of samples brought over from the tap area to sip from while we were shopping there. Got to try mead. Enjoyed some flatbreads before we left and headed over to East End. It was a pretty good day.
  8. shuggy

shuggy Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

Reading this I was totally on board with you. VE is a great place. Then..........

You lost me.
  9. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I'm visiting Pittsburgh from Denver and while I haven't hit bottle shops I have gone out drinking.

House of 1000 beers has 1000 beers. They include unrefrigerated ipas and $20 bottles of Russian rivers that should cost $10. The tap list was unimpressive to put it mildly and the place has all the charm of drinking at a stuckeys. How do they stay open?

Smoking Joes, clean your lines every year or so. Really, clean your lines it's awful.

Fat Heads, decent tap list but everything is fresh. I haven't found a better place to drink. I'm not driving to Houghs for the tap list they post on line and after seeing all the praise of the house of rape And warm ipas I am not taking Pittsburg BAs recs.
    dtx00 likes this.
  10. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Well! Y'all come back now! Y'hear?
    For the record, there have been many other places recommended by Pitt (and other) BAs, and you missed what I consider the best one.
  11. I've complained about House of 1,000 Beers prices in the past, but I've reached an understanding. Everything that is "raping" your wallet is stuff that is not available in Pittsburgh at all. Therefore, you'd have to trade for it. So, taking those trade costs into consideration, those $10-$12 Russian River bottles are probably close to $20. Granted, there is still a lot of stuff that is priced way too high even considering the availability. But their prices are pretty solid on stuff that is distributed in the region.

As for the tap list, you must've caught it on a bad day. It's not the most impressive in the world, but it's damn good for Pittsburgh. They have good specials, too. The atmosphere may not be your cup of tea, but some people like the dive-bar type thing. To each their own.

Bottom line, you're coming to Pittsburgh from Denver...so you're going from a great craft beer city to one that is mediocre at best. You need to lower your expectations.

P.S. - Fathead's is the shit