1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pittsburgh bar to ban Sam Adams

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ktblue22, May 30, 2013.

1. I'm a Bruins fan and I'm quite fine with this move. As they say in hockey, Sam Adams "lost an edge" with their recent (terrible) commercial of average people in Raleigh, NC who had their "beer" secretly replaced with Samuel Adams Boston Lager. At least Bud Light commercials are sometimes funny. This was 30 seconds of wasted everything.

p.s., I love the exitorial note at the end of the article. So true.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Has Menino made a public statement about the series yet? Is he still the mayor even? Maybe something about "Cheerah", "Maushand," "luckik," and "Burgeran?" God I'm gonna miss that bumbling idiot.

3. The one and only politician I've ever enjoyed listening to.
  4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

For the laughs, I hope...
    mschofield, jbertsch and Dools9 like this.
  5. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

GeddyLeeRocks likes this.

6. I hate the Penguins and I'm not from Pittsburgh (I'm outside Philly) but I feel like I should post this as they make amazing beer. God I actually feel dirty sticking up for Pitt....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/603

Church Brew Works.
  7. everyones just lucky the Devils decided to improve their golf game this year
    CassinoNorth likes this.
  8. CantorMan891

CantorMan891 Disciple (70) Indiana Oct 28, 2012

Actually, as a Hawks fan, I WIN.
  9. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I almost didn't resent that until I read go Browns... Get auta taun
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  10. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Riiiight, because making fun of Crosby's crybaby antics is as low as making fun of a guy that's permanently disabled with post-concussion syndrome from a blindside hit.....at least Sidney will be able to play hockey and live his life normally again.

Maybe we can call it Cooke's Massive Vagina? Or maybe Mario's Beer of Shameless Hyprocriticism?
  11. If the majority of my friends weren't Penguins fans and my Broncos didn't have a track record of dumping the Steelers the last few years, I'd totally have forgotten that Pittsburgh existed. The best thing in that city is the bridge out of town.
    ktblue22 likes this.
  12. ktblue22

ktblue22 Aficionado (230) Vermont Feb 15, 2013

You're from Texas. I don't get it.
    Boonedog and Premo88 like this.
  13. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Yankees never do ... :)
  14. tikk

tikk Savant (395) New York Apr 15, 2007

That is no mumbles, he would speak on rooting for Pierre Margerahn. I miss that punchline. Was this thread about beer?

Oh Sam Adams cherry wheat was the first non macro for me....
  15. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

Because rioting is a fair comparison with playfully banning a beer from your bar for a week and a half.
  16. ktblue22

Damn I feel so bed for you midwestern states. So butthurt about not having a NHL team to get drunk and riot about. Move to Vancouver and figure it out people!

17. Or the cultural/art centers that have developed around town the past decade. Or the highly regarded colleges it has that have kicked off a nice little youth movement here. Or all the white collar jobs that have shown up alongside the blue collar ones the past decade, which is why the recession never even touched ground here. And yes, there's the sports culture too. Let's judge a city by decades old stereotypes that haven't been true since Clinton was President everyone!
  18. ktblue22

Hey I was born in MA but moved to VT for the beer! ;-)
  19. ktblue22

and YOU STILL MANAGE TO SUCK :-D
    RobertColianni likes this.
  20. I'm fully expecting Lost Abbey to make a Cooke tribute beer called Deliberance. Or Iginla Indian Giver Pale Ale.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  21. Heh. Well played. Cheers...
  22. I think I'm falling in love with you.
    ktblue22 likes this.
  23. Anyone who says Pittsburgh doesn't have good local beer has clearly never had an ice cold "iron". Or as its pronounced locally "Arhn"
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  24. l bought a Rivertown 6 pack with the fancy new ring.. when I pulled one off the entire top of the can pulled off and sprayed all over the inside of the car. Tru story... Don't buy the babbling blond can's.
    london1o1 likes this.
  25. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

If I owned a Bar in my hometown of Buffalo, and the Bills were playing the Patriots in the playoffs.......id prolly do the same exact thing... without a doubt
    dfecteau likes this.
  26. Buxas

Buxas Zealot (90) Pennsylvania Feb 14, 2013

What's a 'Hawks'. I don't see that team in the NHL.
  27. Buxas

Buxas Zealot (90) Pennsylvania Feb 14, 2013

Both teams have Black and Gold as their colors. A team wearing black and gold will win the series.
    RobertColianni and jeremy13586 like this.
  28. I'd much rather drink East End than SamAdams anyways.
    RobertColianni and london1o1 like this.
  29. Boston bans Ben Roethlisberger from entering city limits.

They weren't even aware of the Sam Adams thing in Pittsburgh. This is just a good idea for any city.
  30. I'm sure this bar will make a ton of money with this clever promotion, so good for them. We don't want them crying in "our" beer anyway.
  31. Lucky S.O.Bs!
  32. Is this the same Sam Adams that's brewed everywhere but in MA?
  33. I think you forgot the second "M" in "Maushmand". "Graubauski" and "Wekler" approve of this comment.
  34. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

BBC has taken too strong a liking to making adult fruit drinks nowadays anyway.
  35. I'm assuming you're referring to Iron City, right?
  36. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

This probably goes well with playing golf or singing karaoke...things that Giroux is probably doing right now.
    beerturtle and DavoleBomb like this.

37. The Mets just swept the Yankees!:)

Cheers!
    Premo88 and tzieser like this.
  38. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I want to go there, just to order a glass of Boston Lager, and throw a fit until they serve it to me, or I get kicked out of the bar (probably what will happen).

But seriously, what's the point of that stupid ban? Tradition?
  39. With all the free press that bar, and Sam Adams are getting I'm surprised more places don't do it. I've seen this story on multiple news sites and on local news.

Also, if a Boston bar wanted to annoy Pittsburgh fans the right response wouldn't be banning beer from Pittsburgh, it would be to ban beer from the Philly area and then claim to not know the difference.
    Premo88 and ktblue22 like this.
  40. Iron City 4 the win!!! ... oh wait, damn, they're not even there anymore.