1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pittsburgh Tasting Sign Up

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by london1o1, Dec 12, 2012.

1. london1o1

london1o1 Savant (325) New York Feb 14, 2003

Figured I'd see if I could get the ball rolling on another one of these. The last one turned out great! I realize we're going to start to get into pretty busy time for people pretty soon, but maybe in early to mid January?

2. I would be down for this!

3. Me too!

4. I'm down like a shitty internet connection.

5. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

I would love to take part in this, but I hope it's not scheduled as the same weekend as the NE Ohio tasting (which was tentatively the 5th or 12th). If this was the 17th or later, I'd love to head on over. (Maybe there'll even be NHL by then and I could make a weekend out of it.... yeah, right. Season will be canceled soon.)

6. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

I'd be down for sure.

7. Count me in

8. I'd be game.

9. Count me in

10. I'd join ya.

11. Ok, so who is going to take the lead and organize this? London1o1? Are we shooting for early 2013?

12. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (405) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Glad to see Pittsburgh BA step up and show interest in these again. Cant wait for the next one.

13. Tibi81

Tibi81 Aficionado (150) Dec 12, 2012

I have not been to one, but would be interested in coming.

14. I'm also interested - once a date is set let me know.

15. How many people attended the previous one, and how long did it run?

I think it would be cool to meet up with some people who enjoy good brews in real life. Most of my friends make fun of my beer taste.

16. dtx00

You'll have to excuse my foggy memory from that day but Id say there were at least 20 people and it lasted at least 5-6 hours.

17. radio2525

radio2525 Savant (255) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

I would be up again depending on the date. The cleveland crew is also trying to get a tasting going

18. Haha, nice nice.

19. Did a sours tasting in McMurray last year... Rt. 19 Beer and Cigar is a decent venue.

20. I would love to do something like this. I not only want to try new stuff but would like to meet new people that enjoy craft beer at the same time.

thecheapies likes this.
  21. Also interested.

22. I might be in! I have some good stuff in the cellar to add. Keep posted on what date!

23. I'm guessing this is a no-go?

24. It's not dead, but someone needs to take the lead and get the ball rolling. All of the pittsburgh ba things in the past have taken some good planning. The biggest thing is to find a venue and talk to them about having it. If someone wants to step up, there is more than enough interest to make it happen.

Have any ideas jeevo?

25. I'm a fairly new member here, so I'm not sure how this was done in this past. If we decide on a place to have this, would calling up the establishment and letting them know that a large party plans on coming on a particular day be better than just showing up?

Can anyone provide insight on this?

26. We need to set it up with the establishment, especially if you want to do a bottle share. I was not involved in any planning before, but I can assure you of that. The last one was at 99 bottles and the one before that at bocktown, just to give you an idea.

27. Are you still interested in getting something together. If you need any help with anything let me know and I'll see what I can do. Definitely would love to get something going within next couple weeks.

28. The owner is a great guy.

29. HopFace

Nice! I love the Beerhive! Now who is going to take charge? I can, if there are no volunteers.

30. dtx00

I love when things come together like this

31. Hi all, I went ahead and emailed John from the beerhive. I will let you know the details when he gets back to me.

NABS and dtx00 like this.
  32. UPDATE: John got back to me and said they have a 2nd floor space that could seat 30 or 40 standing. The space is available on Fridays, but that may be negotiable. He wanted a little more clarification on what we would be doing so I informed him it would be a tasting with us bringing personal bottles, and that we would need fresh glasses. I will let you know more when he replies.

33. Thanks jlflorance for taking the lead. You can also add that we will buy good and it drinks as well from them.

34. No problem. Does friday work for most folks? I will need to tell him a date if we decided to move forward. I am open to date suggestions, otherwise I will just pick one. I suggest February 8th or 20th.

35. treyrab

treyrab Savant (410) California Aug 26, 2007

I can make this one, but would like to attend the next guys!

36. HopFace

8th or 15th are better. Friday works for me. I have my cellared high life 40 waiting for this

What are the rules? Bring a 22 or 2 12's per person?

37. Super pumped about this. The sooner the better for me.

38. I have not heard back from John yet. I think the 15th would be good, however, it is the day after valentines day so I don't know if that will prevent people from coming. I do not mind, but would like to hear your thoughts.

A 22 or two 12oz is the minimum. (of course the more the merrier) Also, let's try keep the abv above 8%, we need to stay warm during these chilly months.

This is my first attempt at organizing a tasting so bare with me. I am open to feedback/suggestions.

39. Heah BeerHive, steppin up to the plate!!!

Jim

NABS likes this.