1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Places to go in New Jersey

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Jules11788, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (400) California Feb 15, 2011

Does anyone know of any good bottle shops/beer bars/breweries in New Jersey, particularly around Central New Jersey?

Thank You!

2. Keyes88

Keyes88 Savant (300) New Jersey Jul 19, 2011

3. True, central NJ covers a very large area. What city are you closest to?

4. you gotta give towns, central jersey can range depending on perspective of the state

5. Jules11788

Clinton, NJ

6. Just 40 miles to Shangy's in Emmaus, PA. Gotta do it - just to see it, even if a case is too much to buy.

7. schillman

schillman Savant (265) New Jersey Oct 7, 2009

If you're heading east one day, hit up the super saver in Somerville on rt 22. I always manag to find some goodies there when I'm up that way.

8. I second this. Place is awesome. Stock up on anything bells

9. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I am like 15 minutes from clinton. If you go west, there is Weyerbacher brewery, and a little further west is Shangys as mentioned above (about 45 minutes). Also, in PA there is Stockertown Beverage and Abe's.
    In Clinton there is a store by the walmart (not the best store, but its close) . East of Clinton on route 22 in Whitehouse station is Bishops and readington wine and spirits. Both decent. 15 minutes more east is Somerville Supersaver, which pretty much has everything available in NJ. As far as bars go... Tap Room, Stirling Hotel, Northside are all pretty good but might be about 30 minutes from you.

huysmans and Jules11788 like this.
  10. I'll second the Somerville Super Saver and the Stirling Hotel.

11. dgs

dgs Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2005

As the OP's profile lists him as being from CA, it seems fair to (re)point out that Shangy's requires purchase by the case - hardly a bar, brewery or "bottle shop" (whatever that is).

While interesting to see, a couple things I'd note about Shangy's.
    - not open on Sunday (last I was aware). Strange, even by PA standards these days.
    - as with anywhere, be careful with dates. I saw a number rather old IPAs last time I was there a few months ago. Again, this is not unique to Shangy's, but if you're buying a whole case, you may want to be extra cautious.

OP - if you're not aware, NJ has liquor stores. Beer, wine & spirits are sold under one roof, but not in gas stations, convenience/grocery stores, etc. (there are a few exceptions)

12. Jules11788

Ok, this is perfect. Thank you very much guys!

13. Bourbon Street, Rt. 22, Lebanon.

FreeBridge wines & Spirits, Phillipsburg

14. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Freebridge is a good call for beer on tap.

Also, check out Beermenus.com and type in clinton, nj.. you can click on 'nearby' and check out what is available. Freebridge, Stirling, tap room, northside, all lists there beer on tap currently.

15. schteve

schteve Savant (270) New Jersey Sep 10, 2003

In High Bridge, one town over from Clinton, is Circa restaurant. Pricey, but the tap selection is all craft (about 8 taps).

The Bourbon Street on Rt. 22 in Lebanon is the best of that chain of liquor stores for beer selection. There's a BS in Clinton on Rt. 31, but it's not nearly as good.

I agree with all of the places Timmush listed a couple of posts back, but Tap Room is easiest to get to from Clinton since it's right off Rt. 78. Stirling Hotel is my favorite of the 3, though.

16. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

I'll second Bourbon Street, Bishops, and SuperSaver, all on Rt. 22 (in increasing distance from Clinton). Pay particular attention to freshness at SuperSaver; their inventory is enormous and it takes them a long time to move through it all. Clinton Wine & Spirits by the Shop-Rite is fairly good, but I think like they have a better selection of singles than 6/4-packs. Someone above mentioned Circa restaurant in High Bridge, which I would recommend for a nice dinner, and a couple buildings down is Riverside Wines & Spirits; they don't have the biggest selection, but turnover seems fairly quick, and all of the beer is refrigerated.

About a half hour south of Clinton (down Rts. 31 and 29) is the River Horse Brewery in Labertville, NJ, which has a tasting room. Walking distance across the river from there is the Triumph Brewpub in New Hope, PA, which is my favorite brewpub in the "area" (it's actually like an hour from me). About a half hour north of Clinton (up Rt. 513) is the Long Valley brewpub, which I find somewhat underwhelming, but a flight might be worth the trip, and there's a dairy farm around the corner that makes some very good cheese.

Note: In general, things are pretty far apart here.

17. Second Free Bridge in P'burg. Huge draft selection and Trish is awesome