1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Planning what you are going to drink, far in advance of an event...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Do any of you do this? In turn, do you then find yourself looking forward to whatever it is that you will be doing even more?

In about three weeks, I will be at my yearly fantasy baseball draft and I have already planned on what I will be drinking that day: Victoria Prima Pils and Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. I chose those two because they are lighter and low in alcohol (so I don't get tossed too early and end up doing something stupid like drafting A-Rod for $30). After the draft will definitely be a Pliny and maybe a Youngs Chocolate Stout - just for the hell of it.

So, fellow BAers, do any of you blueprint a basic drinking event like myself?

2. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

All the time. I'm at work right now drooling because I'm thinking of a ten fidy. Just a few hours away, but I do it for long term. This year when I go to GABF, I'm gonna land, go to my friends house and drop my things off. Immediately get into the car and drive to Boulder and sit my fat ass down at Avery and order a mephistopeles. Preferably a 2006 if there are any left.

Willbfun and RaulMondesi like this.
  3. atomic

atomic Savant (425) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Never that far in advance unless I'm saving something special for an occasion, like the BCBS Coffee I busted open on New Years.

But a couple days out, I might have a rough idea of what I'll be drinking if there's something coming up.

4. Maybe a little, for certain occasions. For example, I bought my girlfriend a bottle of Rogue Double Chocolate Stout early for Valentine's Day, so I bought a few stouts to also drink that night to go with it. And I've been planning on trying Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for St. Patty's day for a while. Ohh, and I bought myself a couple Budweisers to drink while watching the Daytona 500. =P

Willbfun likes this.
  5. Willbfun

Willbfun Aficionado (150) New York Sep 28, 2012

Sure for Easter Sunday I hope to have a bottle of The Bruery's Saison de Lente in the afternoon & Het ankers Easter Ale later on in the night. The next day is April fools Day so I'll be try out Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot.

Even Sooner on St. Patrick's Day I hope to give a pint of blood in the city then come home to jersey?! and have a Serpents Stout and a World Wide Stout. I'll most likely be giving platelets so I wont lose the quantity of blood just contents of it.
    I also think about having a 6er of Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale 8%abv on the 4th of July which is the date on which he and John Adams both died. I had a lose one of em and loved it.

[​IMG] Het Anker Easter Ale.

regularjohn and seakayak like this.
  6. I like your style, Willb.

seakayak and Willbfun like this.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

My Biggest Loser contest ends March 27th. Got some Plead the 5th waiting for me.

8. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (430) New York Jan 19, 2013

Going to my own MLB fantasy draft in 2 weeks, and I've been scouting out bottle shops on Long Island so I can pick up tasties for the day. So, kinda, yeah.

BigCheese likes this.
  9. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

I especially do this for Beer Fests. A lot of times you won't be able to drink everything there, and it's a good idea to have a plan for what you're interested in, and what may run out sooner than later.

10. When I'm sitting I'm class and the professor is droning on and on, I just think about what's waiting for me in the fridge and what I'm going to choose.

11. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

A few years ago I was coming off a championship season in fantasy football so I was a bit overly confident and started the draft of with some Arrogant Bastard, followed by a bunch of other big beers to have a good time. Needless to say I came in last that season.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  12. I like to plan out a whole week in advance, even if there is no special "event" upcoming. It typically guides me toward limiting my beer consumption to one or two per night. Weekends are for leftovers and re-stocking, of course

13. I'll do this as well and if I'm unfamiliar with a brewery the I'll take notes on my phone so that I know what style each beer is. I think this could also go in the "You know you're a beer geek when..." thread.

14. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I plan on drinking something from Kuhnhenn on St.Patty's day, at Kuhnhenn.
    Thats about as far as I think ahead.

15. When I go out to dinner with my wife I usually know what I'll be drinking before we walk out the door. Always subject to change though, depending on whatever else catches my eye.

16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Avery is doing a tap take over in my town and I am already planning on drinking my weight in tweak.

17. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I'm already planning what my group will be drinking in the DLD line bottle share. Also already have bottles ready for the night pre-FW invitational.

18. Run4Hops

Run4Hops Disciple (55) Connecticut Apr 26, 2010

I'm running the Vermont City Marathon May 26 in Burlington VT with a group of friends. Post race we are headed to the Farmhouse Tap & Grill where we will rehydrate with some Heady Topper and whatever Hill Farmstead they have on tap that day. We did it last year and it really helped ease our sore muscles...

19. Titans77

Titans77 Savant (270) Maryland Jul 21, 2011

I have lost 61 pounds so far, down from 289 lbs to 228 lbs and will crack open a FW Parabola when I go from "obese" to just "overweight". That happens at just around 199 lbs. I also have 2 GI BCBS that I will be saving for my birthday in April.

But most of the time, I just buy beer and drink it. Im not much into cellaring because I don't have much income when I go to school.

Willbfun likes this.
  20. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Hell, I have lists of seasonal brews that I usually stock up on and enjoy throughout the year. Family cookouts, get togethers, football, holidays, I always plan out what I'll have.

21. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Only if I have something special to drink.

22. Yes, I plan ticks when festival/event lists get posted ahead of time.