1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Plano, Tx help

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by RPS, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RPS

RPS Aficionado (100) Iowa Jun 7, 2012

Going to be heading down to Plano, Texas, to see my in-laws for the holidays. Not really looking for any bar or brewpub suggestions as my in-laws aren't very alcohol friendly people so more looking for advice on bottle shops in the Plano area.

I went to Mr. Gs a couple years ago when we visited and I was just getting into craft beer mostly because it was close to their house (and I was a newb). Is this the best option around?

Also looking for suggestions/recommendations for local Texas brews that I can get there.

Thanks

2. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (450) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Mr G's beer/wine section is run by Spec's now. They have a decent selection, but you should also check out Kegs & Barrels and S&K Beverage. Both Central Market and Whole Foods also carry a good selection of craft beers if you can't find something you want at the others.

As for local recommendations, Jester King, Rahr, Real Ale, and Saint Arnold come to mind. The Rahr Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer should be widely available by the time you get here and the last release I had was delicious. The Real Ale Coffee Porter is also excellent.

AHood and cfh64 like this.
  3. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (445) Texas Dec 25, 2010

Plano used to have a place called Kegs and Barrels, but when i was there over the Thanksgiving holiday one of the locations of 75 and W15th was gone. I called the other, but no answer. Luckily Total Wines is on the north Side of Dallas and they understand that selling singles of good quality craft goes a long way in getting repeat business. Spec's is there, but asking them to break open a six pack is like asking a 4yr old to do calculus. It ain't gonig to happen. Depending where you are in Plano (I was at Legacy and Coit) you may have to hit Mr G's, as Total Wines is about 25 mins away.

Good luck

4. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (450) Texas Aug 31, 2011

They closed the Parker/Alma location some months ago, but the 15th/Custer location is still open.

5. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Agree on the Jester King and Real Ale. Keep an eye out for Deep Ellum and Southern Star. Post where you are from and maybe we can help you with some distribution hints of what you may not have at home.

6. RPS

RPS Aficionado (100) Iowa Jun 7, 2012

I live in Iowa, so we don't have a great distribution (although getting better) and only a few that you guys don't get Bells, Founders, Goose Island, and Jolly Pumpkin. Just based off looking at seekabrew the "name" breweries I'm interested in are: Alaskan, Deschutes, DFH, Great Divide, Lagunitas, Oskar Blues, and Sixpoint.

Also as I mentioned anything local thats worthwhile and you guys have given me a good list so far. I've heard alot about Jester King before so I'm curious what any of you guys would recommend from them?

7. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Pretty much everything from JK. I would say they are a rather unique brewery who epitomize Austin. They have a vision of farmhouse ales and they are moving to meet that goal with a unique yeast strain. It's pretty different from other choices out there. To answer your question, Funk Metal has recently landed in DFW but difficult to obtain. Check out the thread on JK here in the SW forum and it should get you up to speed. My favorite is Commercial Suicide.

I enjoy OB and Sixpoint as well. We get a good number of their regualr lineups. Ten Fidy on always in my fridge if I plan right. If you have not had it I would recommend. Soooo good.

I'm sure you'll find a local DFW beeradvocate to trade from this thread. Bring an extra suitcase with goodies to trade :)

8. frognot

frognot Aficionado (210) Texas May 20, 2009

If Mr. G's was close to your in-laws, then Central Market is just south of there (Coit & George Bush Tollway).

i'm a fan of the selection at S&K Beverage at the NW corner of Central Expy (Highway 75) and Spring Creek Parkway.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9116

9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Definitely pick up Sixpoint Resin (their IIPA). I love that shit. Bengali Tiger, their single IPA, is also amazing if you roll that way. If Plano is anything like Austin, it should be in any respectable bottle shop.

Do you get Ballast Point in Iowa? If not, DFW is amongst the first markets in Texas to get it. Try to score some Sculpin.

Not sure if Rodenbach makes it up there (seekabrew doesn't do belgians) but you should be able to find Rodenbach Grand Cru in Plano, which is absolutely one of my favorite sours.

Definitely Jester King. If you like Sours, they make amongst the best. You might be able to find Funk Metal (Sour Barrel-Aged Stout) and Das Uberkind (Sour Vieille Saison) that just came out if you're in the right place at the right time (or in Austin ;) ). If you can't find anything but their regulars try Black Metal (Farmhouse Imperial Stout) and Le Petit Prince (Farmhouse Table Beer). If you find a Boxer's Revenge... buy it immediately... don't pass GO! and don't collect $200.

Southern Star Buried Hatchet is amazing... I'm not sure if you can get the Bourbon Barrel-Aged version that just came out in Plano (we haven't gotten it in Austin yet [maybe at all]).

Come back next year for Firestone Walker ;)