1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Plantation/Ft. Lauderdale hints

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by zeff80, Mar 3, 2012.

1. zeff80

zeff80 Champion (815) Missouri Feb 6, 2006

Later this month I'll be visiting my sister in Plantation. She's not big into beer but I know she's been to Tap 42. What are some other good places I need to visit while I'm there?

I'm sure I'll go down to Miami at least once, so I'll take suggestions for there, too.

Thanks!
  2. Shonkers

Shonkers Aficionado (120) Florida Mar 16, 2008

If you don't mind an "industrial" or "sterile" beer drinking environment, then World of Beer in Coconut Creek is an option.

If you're looking for atmosphere, good food, and a superb selection on tap, I highly recommend Tryst in Delray Beach. A few blocks away is The Coffee District--a coffee joint owned/managed by a beer geek--several good taps. Lastly, also in Delray, there's The Office, with a good range of beer on tap.

Funky Buddha is also available in the Boca Raton area.
    --Shonkers
    zeff80 likes this.
  3. If you go to South Beach at all during your trip, make sure to go to Abraxas.
    zeff80 likes this.
  4. zeff80

I'm hoping to go to The Funky Buddha. Is there anything in Ft. Lauderdale that's worth while?
  5. SILVER

SILVER Aficionado (215) Florida Jan 3, 2007

Well there is also The Riverside Cafe (if you can find it) and Brother Tucker's. There are a few good watering holes in Himmarshee Village around downtown.
  6. GallowsThief

GallowsThief Savant (375) Florida Aug 3, 2010

Brother Trucker's I would second. Lazer Wolf I heard had some good brew from a friend but I have not been there as yet. For bottles for to Total Wine off of SE 17th.
  7. hophead5353

hophead5353 Disciple (60) Florida Feb 25, 2011

THE BX BEER DEPOT is in lake worth, but their beer selection is great and they always have great beer on tap and BX is the FARTHEST thing from commercial!
  8. zeff80

Does anyone have suggestions in Ft. Lauderale or Plantation? Don't think my wife will go for an hour drive just for beer.
  9. wrp

wrp Disciple (65) Georgia May 22, 2010

Original Fat Cats downtown has a solid selection and is a good overall place, although I hope you are into the loud live music hipster atmosphere.
  10. SILVER

SILVER Aficionado (215) Florida Jan 3, 2007

11. HopGods

HopGods Disciple (50) Mar 20, 2012

Zeff,
    For drinking, there is not much in Plantation itself, but Ye Old Falcon Pub is the closest at about 15 minutes away from the center of Plantation. Tap 42 (beware the service), Laserwolf, and Riverside market are about 25-35 minutes from the center of Plantation respectively. Riverside Market is more of a sandwich/beer lounge with a ton of beer fridges...awesome selection. As the gentlemen above said there are also small watering holes in the Himmarshee Village in downtown such as Fat Cats.For purchasing in Plantation, you've got the Whole Foods which has a nice selection and Crown Liquor in the same parking lot. You'll be able to get some Cigar City and a couple other specials. About 10 minutes away is Davie Discount Liquor, they have a great selection of beer and couple hard to find items. Finally, about 35 minutes away is the Total Wine which is similar to Bevmo or any large liquor/beer store. Enjoy your trip.

The HopGods have spoken.
    zeff80 likes this.
  12. chriscraft

chriscraft Aspirant (40) Mar 29, 2012

Laser Wolf in Ft.Lauderdale!
  13. Flaviking

Flaviking Aspirant (45) Mar 29, 2012

There is also the Yard House in Hallandale at Gulfstream Park.. Bigger Warehouse type environment but lots of different brews to taste. Plus you could make a day of it and bet on some ponies or play some slots if your into that.

Third Brother Tuckers in Pompano Beach, I've been there twice. There is also a new place called Atlantic brewery, looks kind of shady for my tastes though.
  14. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Very Highly reccommend Tequesta Brewing Co. Also I'd go to Big Bear and Brewzzi's!
  15. zeff80

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got to Big Bear, World of Beer and Tap 42. Plus, I got some bottles at a Total Wine somewhere near the airport.
  16. Lefty1881

Lefty1881 Aficionado (210) Florida Dec 31, 2010

Yard House !! Best of the bunch. Out does World of Beer and Tap 42 combined. Food is ridiculous too.