1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Playing Drinking Games With Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldenGod, Mar 22, 2013.

1. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Initiate (0) Georgia Mar 8, 2013

At some point in your lives, I'm sure most of you have been at a party or gathering, playing games and getting drunk with your bros, where you run out of beer. It's happened to me many times. Since getting into craft beer a few years ago, I have saved and cellared some beers for later enjoyment.

Here's the situation: Last weekend during the St. Patty's day celebrations, I was at my house, playing drinking games with three of my Tier 1 friends when we ran out of American Adjunct Lagers. Agitated that we ran out of beer and that I was in the third set of a best-of-three game of beer pong against players I am much better than (I am carrying my partner at this point), I tell them I do have some beers left.

I continue to enter my liquor closet and take out two Founders Breakfast Stouts, two Stone IPA's, and one Rochefort 10, subsequently pouring them into 20 solo cups.

I know most of you must be shocked and angry (for the record, I don't care), but honestly, who would have done the same thing? In case you were wondering, I led my team to victory.
  2. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

You should have made a B double E double R U N.
  3. I've played games of beirut with Chimay triple
    TheGoldenGod likes this.
  4. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (420) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Under the circumstances, I would have hid the Founders and been okay with gambling away the rest. But that's just me.
    ilikebeer03 and kojevergas like this.
  5. Correct me if I'm wrong...but if you lead your team to victory, that means the other team got to drink the majority of your good and more expensive beer. If this is so...sounds like they were the victors.
  6. you havent lived till youve funneled a 120 through a voovoozella and thought it was keg beer...damn roommate
  7. I once did a power hour with all craft beer. I think it was the bottle of Zhukov thrown in there that almost killed us. Everything else was under 9%, and there wasn't anything spectacular or rare in there. I think there was some Chimay, DFH 60 minute, a few Left Hand's and Flying Dogs. Along with the Zhukov there was something else that I don't remember (surprise) that was pretty stellar.
    TheGoldenGod and xxbillay like this.
  8. At that point I'd be mostly concerned about losing my ability to aim. I am no good at Beirut once I've had a few.

But I mean what the hell. You saved the day, good beers were consumed, and nobody had to drive under the influence. One does what one must.
  9. You haven't lived until you've taken a shot of Everclear when you thought it was a shot of Vodka! Asshole roommate...

Yes, I survived.
    JDizzle likes this.
  10. I drank my fair share of it but never straight thank god.
  11. In the heat of the moment (and assuming a fair amount of inebriation)...YEAH I would've done it just to keep the party going but I'm SURE I would've woken up kicking myself the next day (or the day after depending on how hung over I was). Those f***ers would owe me, though!
  12. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Hell yeah, I had a few too many after a wedding and had no problem with friends drinking my last aged Olde School and my last 3 Hopslams. Question is would you have done it sober? Hell nah, and neither would have I. But expanding their horizons seemed like a great idea then!
    jmccullough108 likes this.
  13. TheGoldenGod

Loving these stories. Good times, people.
  14. Resuin

Resuin Champion (760) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Beers from the beer cooler are off limits during drinking games, only regular fridge beers.
    ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  15. While all very good beers, there is nothing rare there and they are all good beers to share with friends.

I am concerned about your classification of friends.
    How many tiers are there?
    How does one move from Tier 2 or 3 to tier 1.
    Do you let them know what Tier they are on?
    sharpski, StonyB, MichPaul and 19 others like this.
  16. ...who indeed?
  17. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Would have risked a DUI before I did something that stupid.
  18. Optifron

Optifron Aficionado (195) Illinois Aug 17, 2012

We have a social/drinking group of sorts for our grad department where I'm at, that culminates in a champion each semester based on points accrued throughout the semester (based on various things, many drinking related). I recently won the championship in a final showdown using Hopslam as the beer for 1v1 flip cup. It tasted as good as ever and I don't regret it at all.
    TheGoldenGod and beerindaglass like this.
  19. The only beer that should be used for drinking games is Narragansett.
  20. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

You haven't lived until you had someone with bandolier shots. Some filled with water. Some filled with shitty vodka. Some filled with Everclear. All were mixed up and thrown at you at random. You never knew what you were about to drink...
    That next day we also made our own drink called a "Falcon Punch" involving an empty (clean) gas can, fruit punch, various alcohol, and flaming shots. I don't remember much of that weekend.

To be more on topic - I would NEVER share any beer that was above the quality of like...Yuengling. I'm too broke to put that stuff towards drinking games. Maybe when I'm making a decent salary and my friends start sharing their stuff with me...? Ain't nobody got the money for that.

Truthfully I would have just had people have their own drinks and would have played with water.
  21. It's your beer. I would think you could pretty much do anything you wanted with it.
  22. Can't say I've ever done that, tend to stock up on the booze. Did play jack and coke pong a couple months ago. That was fun. I play with craft a lot but with water in the cups. I'm a big fan of chugging Two Hearted on the side. Before I was 21, never played with water but older and wiser (just gotta have an honor system and actually drink your beer...)
  23. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) New Jersey Feb 15, 2013

Keeping it classy...
    Providence and Dools9 like this.
  24. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

What the hell are you using the founders for? For beer pong. SMH
  25. TheGoldenGod

This is just a general, unofficial rule, but here we go because you insist:

Tier 1: Your best friends. They're in your wedding, you're in theirs, occasionally you're each others best men. You'll drink craft beer to settle a drinking game with these people.

Tier 2: People who you will hang with if its fairly convenient, or if you need a place to stay while traveling. They are good friends, but you don't share intimate stories or seek them out/text them on a regular basis.

Tier 3: People you see from time to time, be it friends of friends or friends from years ago. These also may be girls you have met and want to hook up with in the near or distant future, but you're hoping near.

Tier 4: People you never want to see out, but if you do, you'll be nice and say whatever they want to hear to get them moving along with their day.
  26. bmurray10

bmurray10 Savant (335) Texas Feb 28, 2013

Hilarious! I have emptied my fridge before just to have a good time. I guess if the fun is worth the stash of good beer then play on! However, i like to share those kind of beers with my friends when they are sober enough to enjoy it and most importantly remember it. Anyhow, life is too short to worry about what we did yesterday! I would have loved to be on the losing end of that game though.....lol
    TheGoldenGod likes this.
  27. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (335) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Teir 4 doesn't sound like friends. It sounds like people whose name you happen to know.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  28. TheGoldenGod

They know me.
  29. i keep poverty beer in my fridge for friends who don't give a shit. i'm not wasting good stuff on them
    Colosdog, Sirvis and M1k3y like this.
  30. AS780

AS780 Zealot (95) Wisconsin May 16, 2009

I once played king's cup with only winter brews, (and the occasional shot of tequila) so no judgement.
  31. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (305) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Im only 32, but feel too old for beer games. I would of woke up mad/depressed/sad, and then angry. Hell no. A buddy of mine has a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle he got for his graduation and after a few friends came over, he offered shots. The thought of it makes me shake my head, especially since I would probably do the same thing.
  32. weonfire

weonfire Savant (340) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

hahahaha.........NERD, NERD, NERD, NERD!!! get the F outta here. shit aint even expensive or hard to find.

Like my patnas from Memphis say:
    These bitches ain't runnin, shit but yall mouth
    cause the first hater step, the first hater get tossed out

so u played some pong with some founders, stone and rochefort?? its beer. thats what its for. more importantly.....sure hope u had some ladies up that mix.

now, if u said u played with some bourbon county rare? shit....just plain stupid.
    Rusel_G likes this.
  33. Why would you play a drinking game without craft?
  34. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Come back when you are old enough to drink, kid.
  35. weonfire

weonfire Savant (340) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

clearly past your prime and have forgotten what parties are like. or just another dweeb old timer that lives vicariously through this here website and has no idea what I or the OP are actually referring to. sorry pops.
  36. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Advocate (535) Florida Aug 27, 2012

I'm 37. Never too old for beer drinking games. My favorite is pool beer pong with a floating styrofoam beer pong table but I live in south Florida. The same thing actually happened last summer to us. We use coronas and ran out going into the third game of a best of three. Instead of tapping the cellar we rescheduled the decisive third game for a few days later allowing for lots of shittalking and endless hype.
  37. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Played pong with Celebration at this past Christmas Party. That ended badly. Very very very badly.
    craigo19 and TheGoldenGod like this.
  38. Never really played many drinking games other than Buffalo (which is on-going and has been for few years).
    But have played beer pong with various Stone, Green Flash, and Ballast Point brews.
    Beer Pong with Sculpin or West Coast IPA did not last too many games needless to say.
  39. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

When I play drinking games, I exclusively use craft beer. Why? Because I'll have to drink it at some point.

And one day when I'm wildly successful and money is no object, I'll be inviting a few BA's over to play Don Quijote beer pong.
  40. TheGoldenGod

That's not very good logic, but I support your decision to drink craft beer as you please.