1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Playing Drinking Games With Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldenGod, Mar 22, 2013.

1. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

Totally would do the same thing.... would crack open anything that isn't a whale.
    Beer is for fun.
    Not insane enough to put cherry rye in solo cups!
    regularjohn likes this.
  2. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Member

I take my drinking too serious to play games. ;)
    Stormfield likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I use SNPA for all my drinking games now. But really for parties I buy way more beer than I need just to avoid situations like this.
    semaj likes this.
  4. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Member

The only drinking game I ever play is called open up a beer and enjoy it.
    rob133 and Haydn-Juby like this.
  5. RStang13

RStang13 Member

I don't play a whole lot of drinking games these days, but when I do, it's exclusively with craft. I like to enjoy what I ingest. Purpose of drinking games is to get drunk, and if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it with something that tastes good, whether it be Backwoods Bastard or a Captain and Coke. I see absolutely no reason to drink something I don't enjoy
    ThomasTownsend and fineout like this.
  6. ESeab

ESeab Member

That is quite the Dennis system you have going there :cool:
  7. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Member

That has always bothered me about beer pong. Beer ball is where it's at.

Your avatar is very well chosen...
    TheGoldenGod likes this.
  8. Dools9

Dools9 Member

I might start with a few good brews for games, but after a while it's hard to taste much so then I switch to swilligan's island type brews instead of wasting the tasty stuff.
  9. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

I don't always play drinking games, but when I do...

[​IMG]

Note the side cup is a Pliny...

[​IMG]
  10. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Member

This is incredible.
    LSUPT likes this.
  11. brees6221

brees6221 Member

A few years back someone posted a picture of them playing beer pong with Dark Lord...I enjoy a little DL every now and then but that's a bit much.

I play beer pong twice a year - New Year's party and St. Patrick's Day party. Last weekend I used Elevated IPA and Lagunitas Sucks. Might as well enjoy what you're drinking.
  12. Pecan

Pecan Member

Just reread my post and should clarify: I'll have to drink whatever is in the cup at some point, so I'd rather it be craft than adjunct piss.
  13. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

This is just blasphemy. Shame on you!:mad:
  14. dieBlume

dieBlume Member

I think the main reason he left his comment (and I almost left the same) is because (1) craft beer is a lot more expensive (2) once you're drunk, taste doesn't seem to matter as much and (3) it's pong, and I just feel like it tends to get dirty - as in, if a ball has rolled on the floor after falling off the table, if people dunk the ball in liquid before throwing it, etc.

I guess it all depends on the circumstances. I'm still in college so a lot of the pong being played is in someone's apartment with a lot of other people around, so if that ball has been on the ground for a second, I don't want it ANYWHERE near my beer.
    Pecan likes this.
  15. alysmith4

alysmith4 Member

Except at a bottle share, right? ;)
  16. dieBlume

dieBlume Member

Well obviously. But getting me to do a bottle share in general? Good luck. I am stingy with things that I like. Hahaha. :p
  17. Swik

Swik Member

I didn't know there was any other way to play??? Minus the whole breakfast stout haha
  18. ChanChan

ChanChan Member

You keep IPA's in the closet?:eek:
    kemoarps likes this.
  19. Pecan

Pecan Member

Fair enough. You make good points, just not necessarily relevant to me.

1. Both fortunately and unfortunately, the price doesn't really affect me. Fortunately, because I make a decent enough salary to not notice much of the difference. Unfortunately, because I only have enough time to drink about one night a week, so a lot less beer to buy.

2. Taste always matters to me. Another double edged sword, because rapid fire drinking mixed with high alcohol content is delicious but usually ends in bad decisions and at least a day of recovery.

3. I guess that just makes me a dirty boy.... Really though, going to drink the dirt either way :)

I can't fault people for using the trash beer for games either, we've all got our reasoning.

PS: You're invited to Don Quijote beer pong in the future.
    dieBlume likes this.
  20. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Member

Exactly.

There is a reason why you play these games with crappy beer. Losers shouldn't be rewarded with good beer.
  21. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Member

I think we all know why you drink now.
  22. GhjBAR

GhjBAR Member

You and your "patnas" probably threw some great GED exam parties, huh?
  23. LMT

LMT Member

Great line.

Lagunitas should have a brew called "Don't Play Beer Pong With This Pilsner" and have that on the label.
    HokiesandBeer likes this.
  24. eggmaggi

eggmaggi Member

We played beer pong with Rogue's Voodoo Donut just to double up on the punishment. It was the only way to finish the two bottles that we had.
  25. bassofthec

bassofthec Member

I am not a regular pong player, but I don't understand why you just wouldn't fill your cups with what you like? I think I could go for an affordable, widely available craft like SNPA myself (like an above poster).
  26. Aleducated

Aleducated Member

If I broke out my good stuff, my regular throw-down-bros would forfeit any drinking game. They'll jump into shark infested waters to spearfish but scared of any beer that will retain a head. Pussies...

If worse came to worse we'd break out the hard liquor (Patron typically if any survives the first hour of the party) to finish our drinking game pissing contests. I also have a cabinet with cordials (B&B, Drambuie, Sambuca, shit that I adopted over the years) that I would resort to before opening what they call the "warm beer cooler." (appropriately chilled beer storage fridge)

Battles will be fought before I start popping corks.
    Zach136 likes this.
  27. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Member

Sounds like good times!
    TheGoldenGod likes this.
  28. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

When we play with good beers, you drink the cup on your opponents side when you make the ball. Once you nail all their cups you get to drink your side at your leisure. We also penalize the loser by a 2 foot beer bong of four loko and a kick in the balls.
    jgluck and Zach136 like this.
  29. dieBlume

dieBlume Member

Makes sense, makes sense. I don't care so much about taste when I'm drinking to get drunk. Chances are I won't remember it anyways. I also don't normally get hung over when drinking beer unless I'm dehydrated. So it goes.

Also, I look forward to the beer pong - Cali's a long way away though. Haha.
  30. decimator

decimator Member

And to throw people off there's a couple shots of vinegar thrown in the lot.
  31. dieBlume

dieBlume Member

Oh gosh. That sounds absolutely barf worthy. But then again, so does Everclear...
  32. decimator

decimator Member

I've personally never had a shot of straight vinegar like that. I can only imagine what it would do to my heartburn.

Many years ago we pulled a prank on a couple students we had working for us. We had the vodka shots and they had the vinegar shots. One tanked it straight down no problem (though he had a squirm on his face) and the other one spat it out right away and started swearing up a storm. It was damn hilarious.
    dieBlume likes this.
  33. bunique686

bunique686 Member

Love buffalo. My buddy one day handed me a Duce of bud while we we're tubing on the river not thinking I took it and got buffaloed. I later got him with a half a fifth of Jim beam red stag. Always a on going drinking with my group of friends also.
  34. beercanman

beercanman Member

When it is my turn to buy I go overboard. A keg of PBR and an extra thirty pack in the garage. 65-70$. Most of my drinking buddies are BMC. But I still keep the cellar under lock and key, they will drink it, they will not appreciate it. I will drink the shit out of PBR at a party.
  35. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Member

I take my games to serious to drink crap. Seriously though, have to pour some of the good stuff... its just beer. Cant take it too seriously.
  36. TheGoldenGod

TheGoldenGod Member

I read these last two posts out loud. I must say, although I love your enthusiasm for drinking, they sound utterly stupid. Do you re-read the post before you submit it or do you simply not care?

Readers: If you want to have some fun, read said posts out loud in a Francis Underwood House of Cards voice and thank me later.
    mixed_master7 likes this.
  37. Hermit_King

Hermit_King Member

Ouch! Would have been painful to have to chug those beers. Been there though. Played Circle of Death with Robert the Bruce and Dragon's Milk. The waterfalls were rough...
  38. LSUPT

LSUPT Member

Finished off my growler of Kern River Citra DIPA for 6 of the 10 cups of a game of beer pong, but I didn't let my partner or the losing team drink any of those cups, haha
  39. weonfire

weonfire Member

u mean before or after my electrical engineering degree?
  40. Doc_Hops

Doc_Hops Member

beer was brewed to be drank. and better yet, to be drank amongst friends. as long as those who consumed it appreciated it and/or enjoyed it, the beer has served its purpose.
    jgluck and TheGoldenGod like this.