1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny 03.08 batch

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Zhiguli, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Although i agree wholeheartedly agree with your point, i also feel that it has also become a usual occurrence that the "last batch was better" discussion comes up very very frequently, and so people get fed. If you are drinking PtE or any other beer for that matter, on a very regualr basis, a case can be made, but dont try tell me this years vintage of some rare beer tastes better or worse than last years which you had a pour / bottle of 12 months ago. How much has your palate evolved or changed in the intervening year? How do you remember exactly what it tastes like a year ago. If a batch is infected, that's a no brainer, but very subtle nuances in tasting notes over 12 months...GTFO..

It becomes a boy who cried wolf situation, in that when a particular batch is slightly indeed off, it gets mocked.

2. aztec87

aztec87 Zealot (95) California Aug 30, 2012

this batch is definitely different. its like its a different ipa

3. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

If you guys want perfectly consistent beer I've heard Budweiser does a good job at it.

4. Woahh hold on you're being constructive? I thought this was an internet forum let alone a BA forum. For reals though kudos for keeping these forums the way they should be. The humor on BA is half the reason I spend so much time on here but the OP obviously wasn't trolling so people should respect that.

KaslD likes this.
  5. Shipped about 8 back from SF last week, got them in today, and just opened a 3/8 bottle. It really is not close to what it should be :(. Bought these at RR and had one on tap that day - nothing alike.

6. Just finished one and yes, it tasted a tad different but was just fine and I have no complaints. I don't nit pick.

7. Coming from me, an every-batch-drinker, and Besides all the annoying hipster comments and rude remarks, this batch actually did taste really bland and honestly not very good. I bought four of them, exactly 7days ago(the 13th, 5 days atter bottling) and i still have 3 of them left. I'm really bummed out by them right now..

8. I think it's absolutely fair to note when a beer tastes off, especially when it's an entire batch. This is actually fairly vital information for breweries to receive, and all the rude comments are uncalled for.

For the record, I contacted Russian River about this batch when I also noticed it wasn't quite up to Pliny's usual standards.

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  9. jethrodium

jethrodium Savant (260) California Mar 25, 2010

The Pliny on tap at the brewpub is brewed at the brewpub, while the bottled is brewed at the production facility, so it's not surprising there is some variation.

10. How often to they brew? I am heading out next Tuesday and was looking forward to picking some up to bring back to Michigan.

11. I've had 3 of the bottles from this date, all tasted like the Pliny that i know and love.

luisc123 likes this.
  12. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

Am I the only one on BA that thinks Pliny is mediocre in the first place? Theres so many IPA's I would drink over it...

Pecan and JasonFromLA like this.
  13. I think it's a great beer, but not one I seek out all the time. I feel like if the Pliny hype was balanced a bit with the lack of hype for Blind Pig, we'd reach some sort of equilibrium.

KaslD likes this.
  14. KaslD

Well working in a shop I witness people clamoring for Pliny when it comes in. People literally only look for Pliny and walk out if you dont have it. It is completely over hyped though. Its not even in the top 20 IPA's I have had. I would drink Hop Stoopid over it any day of the week. Living so close to Alpine and having access to Simtra and such it seems like Pliny would be outshined, but the "cult following" to quote a previous post, is just out of control. Heady I could understand seeking out all the time but Pliny just doesnt live up to it imho.

15. Just had a 3.08.13 batch bottle. Still tastes like good ol' Pliny

16. I personally love walking into local shops and being told they're out of Pliny, but have Alpine IPAs and RR sours. You take your Pliny and walk out, I'll grab a Supplication and Nelson.

KaslD likes this.
  17. KaslD

Exactly how I feel! Lol

18. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Soooo...you're basing all of this on one bottle?

19. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

is this the most recent batch? next batch should be ready shortly, if not already. just curious since a i have a trade setup to send out this week. thanks for any and all help.

20. I had my first Pliny on Saturday....it didn't change my life, I'm willing to blame myself for failing at being a true beer fan but didn't think it was worth the hype, it was from this batch so maybe that caused it?

KaslD likes this.
  21. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

It's not for everyone. Maybe try sucks

22. It's probably too fresh for OP.

23. this is getting ridiculous. i had a guy back out of a trade because he wanted to get the "perfect" pliny. He had never tried it before so that was particularly un-nerving.

kotayk likes this.
  24. Can't say I blame the guy. No sense in going for a spotty batch.

25. What harm does it really do? It's not like it was bad or spoiled or anything. It is still a perfectly fine, drinkable beer.

26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

3/12 and then 3/18. Probably even newer now.

27. This bottles that I have had from this batch were not perfectly fine.
    Who wants an off batch of anything? I sure don't, and I sure wouldn't want to send bottles from a bad batch out.

28. I guess we differ. I didn't find it "off". I also don't trade, so maybe that is why I'm less bitchy than others.

29. Had 3 bottles... All awesome

30. KaslD

Had 1 tonight and it didnt taste the same but I actually liked it.

31. The chance that it was you/your palate that day far exceeds the chance it's a bad batch.

VegasHopHead likes this.
  32. i doubt it. perhaps most others that feel the same are too busy enjoying what they do like, keeping busy with other stuff than to ask such a question, appearing to go out of their way to slide in a negative comment.

33. KaslD

Cruising through my local forum and reading on the ISO forum about "the new batch of Pliny" sparked my interest. Sorry you dont find the same things as intriguing as I do. I actually went out of my way to try it and enjoyed it more than I normally do. So I didnt go out of my way to "slide in a negative comment" as you claim. I read through and asked if im the only one that thinks its mediocre in the first place. I love how you stated "than to ask such a question" because that makes it sound like its some sort of blasphemy to not enjoy Pliny.

34. since you put it that way,,, for one you pretty much demonstrated you're intelligent enough to know you're not the only one to ___________ (fill in the blank with whatever you want.) if you're gonna stick with that & get technical, you asked a question you already knew the answer to. which then begs the question, what was your actual intention? or maybe you did honestly think you were the only one? the saying, if you don't have anything good to say . . . comes to mind here.

like you, "i love how" the original question & thread inquires into opinions on a specific batch whereas your response states your opinion, (a not so positive one at that), on EVERY batch.

fwiw,i do know how to read, both on the screen & between the lines. please stay hydrated.

[​IMG]

35. Come on, this isn't uncommon with RR hoppy beers. Vinnie tweaks them occasionally and sometimes you get a not-quite-as-good batch. No big deal, not the end of the world - but I think enough people who regularly drink Pliny have chimed in here saying this batch wasn't quite up to snuff. I came here specifically to see if there was any mention of it after I had one.

36. KaslD

So in the same post you quote "if you dant have anything nice to say...." then you proceed to spout negativity. So either you have the memory span of a goldfish or you are a blithering idiot.

37. I'm fully aware. But that single sample tells you precisely nothing.

38. I have sampled from 4 bottles and have 4 left of the 3/8 batch. They have been compared to the 3/5 batch, which I have (had) 4 of as well. The latter is considerably better. n >1 by a lot.

39. That sample starts to tell you something.

40. With comments from others on here, as well as comments from those sharing bottles on this end, yes, it does. It tells me that this was not the best batch. :)