1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny APB in SF

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by drgarage, Mar 15, 2013.

1. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I feel like an idiot asking this, but I need help tracking down some extra Pliny bottles for a trade, and I'm a couple short, because Ales Unlimited is limiting to two bottles per customer.

Shoot me a BM if you know of anybody with it in stock or have some you could trade me. I've always got good stuff in the cellar.
  2. drgarage

I should note that I've hit all of my usual suspects with no luck. I'll have to take a trip to the brewery for the secon week in a row if this doesn't work.
  3. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

You can make a short trip to East Bay. I know at Perry in Livermore it sold without limit ( unless it changed). Perry also has another location that have unlimited Pliny too.
  4. drgarage

I might do that on Saturday if nothing else comes in. This is the driest I have ever seen it in the city...
  5. futura123

Check with hophead247. He is friend with the owner of Perry and other places. He can update to you the lastest info. Plus I think they have some at Monument Wine & Spirit ( 2 bottle limit but since you already make the trek, you may as well stop by)

I know what you trade for now :)

I never have any problem finding Pliny in the East Bay until I changed work to San Mateo and now it's a big deal.
    drgarage likes this.
  6. teamizm

teamizm Savant (375) California Feb 4, 2005

Cask in downtown usually carries them. Not sure if they have a bottle limit.
  7. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292 Savant (350) California Jan 13, 2011

I feel like I remember Whole Foods (Ashby and Telegraph) and Legders Liquors in Berkeley having a bunch last time I was there. Might want to call ahead, though.
  8. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

You try Toronado?
  9. drgarage

Trying tomorrow, along with Cask.
  10. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

I haven't been to Perry's in a while, but I do know that they have started doing bottle limits on Pliny since their allotment was cut down. I want to say its 2-3 per person.
  11. drgarage

From what I can tell, everyone's allotment has been cut down.
    hophead247 likes this.
  12. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (280) California Aug 3, 2011

beer rev i would imagine has some.
  13. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Their other store in Dublin allows 4-5 per person I think...and it doubles as a Subway as well. 6000 Dougherty Rd is the address.
  14. MykelJH

I dont understand whats going on, didnt they pull out of washington to help make it more abundant in our area? It seems like its getting harder to find now lol
  15. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Cask, whole Foods Portrero (in the back,) WF 24th or sometimes Plumpjack on 24th has some
  16. I ordered 3 from K&L yesterday. I have not recieved the confirmation that the order is ready for pickup, but assuming it will be ready today, I can bring them Sunday to the G&G share if you need them.
  17. futura123

They divert them back to their brew pub after "suddenly" realize that 50% of their revenue comes from there. I'm pretty sure bigger & fatter margin from the pub than retail. Natalie & Vinnie tried to buy out minority partners so they focus on making money now. If I was the minority partner of RRBC, no way I will sell unless there is some clauses in the contract forcing me to do that.
  18. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

They had plenty at Toronado last night.
    drgarage likes this.
  19. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

I asked a guy at a local bottle shop why they hadn't had pliny lately, and he said it had something to do with problems on the RR bottling line. I have no idea if there's any truth to that, but it's definitely scarce for the last month or so. I wonder if it could have something to do with the annual Younger thing? Like, maybe this year more of their production was diverted to Younger during January, resulting in less Elder being around in Feb?
  20. I heard they were cut back because of Younger from a local beer guy. I haven't seen Blind Pig in my area since maybe mid January and Pliny has a 2 bottle limit.

He also claimed that they limit you to half a case at the brewery, but I know he pulled that "fact" out of the darkest crevice of his ass.
  21. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

They do limit you do half a case at the brewery. True story bro.
  22. Hmm that 1/2 case limit must be relatively new because they used to allow a whole case to be purchased (2 of my friends each purchased a case, during younger week this year) I also noticed they raised the price of their Growlers by $2 as well. So maybe some changes are happening at RR.

I think and this is just my speculation, that at the younger release this year, they sold way more Pliny bottles than expected and we are seeing a trickle down effect because they were also brewing less pliny to brew the younger. Like I said just speculating.....but could be the reason
  23. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

I heard about the $ change on growlers. Price of the fill is still the same ($14) but I think they realized they were losing $ on the glass. Or breaking even at best. Every time I've seen those growlers in homebrew stores they are like $8-10, minus the label. Obviously RR buys quantity but ...just sayin.
  24. grze

grze Savant (320) California Apr 17, 2012

Can anyone confirm the limits at the brewery? On bottles/growlers?
  25. MykelJH

Is this new? I have walked out of there with cases plenty of times. Bottle barn had a 12 bottle limit though.
  26. MykelJH

I don't think there was any. I could be wrong now, I haven't been there in 3 months or so. The only bottles that had limits was limited release and 3Ls
  27. I know someone went as recently as last month and didnt mention any change. But if its true then it must be a newer policy.
  28. Beer Rev started limiting PtE to two per customer back in December.
    Same allocation, it just sold out too fast.
    and yeah, RR is selling more at the pub now, especially because of PtY.
  29. and pig, harder to get then PtE
    Beer Rev gets it maybe every 5-6 weeks
    had it this week, sold out there this afternoon
  30. drgarage

Plump Jack was the winner -- both Pliny and Blind Pig. Thanks to everyone who helped.

And Nuke -- if you don't want those 3 Plinys, I'd be willing to buy them off you but I no longer need them.