1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny on Auction - For a Good Cause

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Excited to see a MurrayAid post on BA. :)

Franch and jklinck like this.
  2. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Belmont Station in Portland.... 1 bottle limit
    By the Bottle in Vancouver (the few times I've seen it there) ... 1 bottle limit

The list goes on and on.

In fact I don't know of a place that allows more than 1 bottle for purchase at a time.

At least in the Portland area.

3. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Whole Foods when they get it, one bottle limit.

Also, to be clear, Belmont Station is one bottle per person per day. Would be tough to regulate otherwise I guess. Pliny has been just "ok" for me lately. Not sure if its me or if its the beer.

4. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Saraveza too.

5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well I'll bite, and you can all flame me and they can delete my post if it's too "controversial." (And I'll admit up front here that I don't know all the specifics of Mr. Stenson's situation, so if I'm speaking ignorantly here I'm sure someone will promptly set me straight.)

This is just another example why it's shameful that a country as rich as this one doesn't join the rest of the industrialized world and provide universal health care to its citizens. People shouldn't have to hold fundraisers to get critical medical attention, and schools shouldn't have to have bake sales to pay for books and art/music programs etc. Wall Street gets a bailout but we're all on our own. Just my 2₵.

Good for Wine World for helping one of their own—although it would be great if they offered health insurance as a benefit to their full-time employees if they currently do not.

I won't be able to attend the auction, but I wish Mr. Stenson the best of luck getting the medical care he needs.

6. Murray isn't one of their own. Murray is a renowned bartendar: http://seattletimes.com/html/allyoucaneat/2019495870_cocktailers_rally_to_aid_famed.html.

Wine World is just stepping up to do their part. He is not associated with them at all.

I, too, will not be participating. I have a few friends who are interested and I'd rather not outbid them (although there's something to be said about pushing up the price). ;)

7. Too bad for you chumps. Like I stated, I don't know of a place that has a one-bottle limit --- at least until I read this post about the travails down in PDX.

8. Last Drop also has a one bottle limit, but when I explained to them that I wanted to buy two since I was taking them to relatives in Nebraska as Christmas presents this time last year, they were cool.

9. draheim

10. Things must have changed. I know I've bought a couple of bottles there before. But I must admit, that's not my first stop for beer.

11. aaronCS

aaronCS Aficionado (100) Oregon Feb 20, 2012

The BeerMongers had a two bottle limit when I found it.

12. 99 Bottles also has a limit. Can't remember if it's 1 or 2. I think Full Throttle has a limit of one per person as well.

13. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Universal healthcare is suppose to take affect in 2014 right? That is, if the republicans don't some how stop it... ppl are bitching about it because it's a "tax" and they say the quality of care will go to shiot.

Anyone know how good the health care is in Canada? I've always wondered about this.

14. CA_Infidel2o9

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but i think Pliny is completely over hyped. Maybe i'm just not a fan of citra, but i don't think it's good enough to have a 1 bottle limit put on it.

15. It's still riding high on the hype wave with the public, and we only get it every five weeks in the Seattle area. It's a damn good beer, but there are plenty of other DIPA's I'd rather drink.

16. draheim

You won't get flamed for it, because at this point two things seem to be pretty much in equilibrium: Pliny hype and people who think Pliny hype is overrated. I for one love Pliny—although I don't jump through hoops to get it whenever it hits town—but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that other people disagree. More for me!

17. CA_Infidel2o9

Exactly, I'm just trying to help you out buddy. ;)

18. Pliny doesn't have 1 oz. of citra in it.

19. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol doh, i coulda swore i've seen ppl post that it has citra, sry.

20. lol, no need to apologize.

21. Pliny was created before Citra hops were created.

checktherhyme likes this.
  22. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I've got a bunch of Canadian friends and they generally really like their heathcare system. You do have to wait if it is something non life threatening (knee surgery etc) but you get that surgery before too long. The bonus is that you don't die because you can't afford an expensive surgery (ie heart surgery) and you aren't bankrupt for the remainder of your life.

They do pay much higher taxes though

23. CA_Infidel2o9

Which is acceptable IMO, it's universal healthcare not free healthcare, the money to pay the doctors, surgeons, nurses, etc, has to come from somewhere.

EDIT: Not sure why it quoted buckeye, meant to quote krang.