1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny overhyped? I don't really think so.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lookrider, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Quick Pliny story if you'll indulge me. I live in a part of the country where about the only way to get PtE is by trade. Traded for my first last year and just loved it. Kind of forgot how it tasted since then but yesterday a box arrived in a trade and there were 2 Pliny's in it. I got home from work last night and popped them in the fridge. I'm an over the hill bicycle racer and this time of year with cold weather and not enough daylight I ride on a trainer in my garage every night for about 1 hour 45 min. as soon as I get home. So I do my ride (they're brutal and monotonous) and as soon as I'm done I head for the fridge absolutely drenched in sweat and open a Pliny into one of those big Sam Adams glasses. One big sip and glass in the fridge and up to my shower. My days are hectic and I use a very long shower as my first bit of relaxation every day - nothing like it after the cold workout. Last night, I hop in the shower and all I'm thinking about is how good that Pliny is. I soap up and rinse off in 60 seconds, towel off, throw on sweats and rush down to the fridge to pull that glass of Pliny out. While I'm sipping, I keep thinking that I don't know how an IPA could be better and that this is the reason I drink beer. Then I realized I forgot to shave.

2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I had a Pliny over the holidays where it smelled so good I didn't want to finish drinking it. I've never had an aroma captivate me like that. I think it was 12 days old.

WickedSluggy and tectactoe like this.
  3. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I haven't written it off yet (because I have only had it twice) but I have not been impressed (relative to all the praise it gets).

They weren't that old of bottles either (2 weeks and 3 weeks).

TheBushman likes this.
  4. Good story man. Being so passionate about a brew is a wonderful thing.

My take, as someone that has acquired a few bottles of Pliny via trade is that there is no way it can live up to the hype it was (note, was) getting when I first joined this site in 2010 (not sure what the hype messaging was before then). It was so hyped that it indeed let me down. Did it suck, hell no! I would put it in my top 5 DIPA's ever. However, it wasn't what I thought it would be.

Heady is that beer now. Pliny has fallen "under the radar" (not really, but it's not discussed nearly as much as it used to be in my opinon). Heady is hyped to shit. Many people (including myself) believe it lives up to the hype, but eventually the pendulum will swing back (it's starting to now) as the hype becomes too intense, no matter how good it is, the beer won't live up to it.

All that matters is that to you, and you alone, the beer is a perfect DIPA. Be happy that you can be satisifed, as many folks never can be.

Cheers!

draheim, Dagsy, Commanche and 5 others like this.
  5. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I remember my first Pliny. It was like a pineapple jumped out of the bottle and fucked my nose. Absolutely amazing.

6. No, Pliny is the Quintessential DIPA

smutty33 and ChanChan like this.
  7. It was worth the hype enough for me to fly out to the brewery for it. Well, technically I was out there for Younger, but I bought plenty of Elder to bring home so that kind of counts. It was only my second time to get it, but it was just as fantastic as the first time I had it.

8. I've got some coming in a trade this week. Really excited to finally try it.

9. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (425) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

I think Pliny is a great DIPA. Same with Heady, but I prefer Surly Abrasive to the both of them. I would rather just drink the beer and make my own decision on if I like it or not. I try not to pay attention to the hype too much; as I find it does ruin certain beers for me.

Revenant likes this.
  10. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Overrated. I've had it on tap about 5 times now, and will never get it again because it's often not even the best IPA on tap when I see it, and isn't even the second best IPA that Russian River makes.

I wanted to have the experience that others say they have, but it's a B+ beer at best. It's good, but nothing about it is great, and nothing about it has the wow factor that a top 5 beer ought to have. I think it's more a case of very successful guerilla craft beer marketing than anything.

BrettHead, Lantern and kojevergas like this.
  11. To each their own - Just curious which other two RR IPA's do you prefer? Blind Pig?

12. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Wow a little more info then we needed but anyway. Not many ipas are gonna beat it

joeebbs likes this.
  13. There is a reason all other IPA/DIPAs are compared to Pliny, because it's the best.

Onenote81 and Holmes698 like this.
  14. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Where's that Lou Gehrig avatar guy when you need him? I want to know what he thinks!

draheim likes this.
  15. I am interested in hearing about this guerilla marketing campaign, please tell me more.

16. Pliny lived up to the hype. This is coming from someone who doesn't even have IPA's in his top 10 styles. First time I bought it, I stopped into a bottle shop that I frequent. I wasn't expecting to see Pliny, but there it was in the cooler. I said to myself "I gotta try this and see what all the hype is about". I drank it maybe 5 days after I bought it. Put it this way, when I was finished with the bottle, I was wishing that I had purchased more than one bottle.

17. sweet bro.

ant880 likes this.
  18. OleDixie

OleDixie Savant (335) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

Did some traveling last week to drink my first Pliny. Lives up to the hype for me. Although, I can totally understand how hype can make a drinking experience less pleasurable due to unrealistic expectations or whatever. Funny part is, after traveling last week, I'm at a local bottle shop last night in my area that does not have any RR distribution, and Plliny the Elder is sitting on the shelf staring me in the face. I don't know how they got it or why I was one of the lucky few to grab some, but I'll gladly take it. Anyways, I think Pliny lives up to the hype.

19. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Not overhyped. While I love to disagree with the masses, I cannot dissagree with their praise of this beer. I have found many great beers during my travels. I have not yet found a better IIPA than Pliny.

20. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

"Quick story..." 259 words later he likes Pliny the Elder.

21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Pliny is a great DIPA, it's not the most bitter brew around, it's subtle and very well balanced. It's not over rated just because there are other heavy weights out there

kenatbeerswap likes this.
  22. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I have been lucky enough to have many bottles of PtE and I love it. Still one of the most enjoyable brews I have ever had.

23. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Fancy bottles, Super Bowl commercials, how could you miss it?

Beerdy and RWNay like this.
  24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

We were joking around about this on the mountain forums. If anything, it's probably under-hyped thanks to it "only" being a DIPA instead of something being brewed with a bunch of wacky ingredients and aged in obscure containers.
    It's a great beer. It doesn't matter if it's the best or anything, it's just great and worth seeking out.

ripps1 likes this.
  25. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Build a local following. Make sure to have at least one big limited release product in your lineup to build buzz in beer drinking circles and on the Internet. Limit distribution. Rinse, repeat. I realize that there are practical constraints that affect the way craft breweries make and distribute their product, but don't think for a second that marketing isn't a factor. Mid-size breweries employ sales folks just like AB-Inbev does. Have you ever stopped to wonder why the hell a brewery needs to sell t-shirts and other swag, or give away stickers?

26. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Cool story.

I love Pliny,and now you made me want some.

You shoulda made that Pliny a "shower beer"......;)

Cheers......:)

Sam_Frank likes this.
  27. I feel that Pliny lives up to the hype. It is amazing.
    My favorites so far:
    1. Kern Citra
    2. White Rajah
    3. Pliny
    4. Columbus IPA
    5. Head Hunter IPA
    *Nugget Nectar is up there too.

28. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

shower beers rule. should be a sub category

smutty33 likes this.
  29. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Nope, Pliny's awesome and my fav compared to everything I've had with maybe Barley John's Fresh Hopped Pale Ale Dry Hopped in the Cask with very fresh Cascade Hops as a very very close second.

30. This story sounds too erotic. Now Im always going to associate it with Pliny.

31. You guys tired of talking about this beer yet?

Revenant, Lantern and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  32. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I just tried my fist one this Monday. Unbelievably great beer, best DIPA I've ever had, hands down.

33. Honestly though, there was a lot less semen at the end of that story than I was expecting.

ant880 and blguillen like this.
  34. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Yeah I know. It reminds me of my favorite Winston Churchill quote: "If I'd had more time, I would have written a shorter letter."

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  35. Hopfather

Beerdy likes this.
  36. Thanks for sharing. I've so far had two (very fresh) Plinys, and they're certainly up there among the best. PtE is ranked at 4.48 for me alongside Abrasive and Moon Man; apart from the fact that I feel somehow more connected to Midwest beers, it's as good as anything I've tried. (Interpret that as you will, there's something to say about growing into craft with a particular brewery -- for me, Bells.)

37. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

That happened to me in Montreal back in '03 after I bought some "Tic Tacs" from a guy with a squeegie by the downtown Metro station.

draheim likes this.
  38. bonSreeB

bonSreeB Aficionado (145) Alabama Dec 27, 2012

My first beer trade ever came in yesterday with some Pliny, so I will be enjoying my first taste of it tonight. I'm probably looking forward to it more than the V-Day sex.

39. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If I biked for an hour and forty five minutes at a "brutal" pace as you put it I'd likely be near death and any beer would taste like heaven since it would be my last.

That said I think Pliny is very good, but I prefer others to it.

40. You mean the guy that really should write "because I say so" at the end of all his posts? I'm surprised he's so late to the game on this one.

ChanChan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.