1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny overhyped? I don't really think so.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lookrider, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I'm not denying PTE is a great beer, but not my favorite, by far.
    Revenant and Giovannilucano like this.
  2. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Pliny the Elder is my favorite beer, I have yet to have a comparable IPA; but I have yet to try any HF IPA's which I hear are excellent.
  3. Well to clear the air about how I have approached beer in these last years will show you how I approach life in general. I knew that I wanted to try Pliny the Elder someday and I did. I am not a man who will enjoy because others would but how I perceive it in accordance to the style, or to its new approach.

Not to stray from the topic, but I am sure there is many here who dislike my love for Italian craft. But I am not here to discuss that but to give you a reference. I do not hold any beer higher then another solely based on this, but on its merit.

As far as my mentality to it, yeah it is a "metal" way of doing things my way, seeking to do what others will not or can not.(But please no do confuse this with arrogance, ignorance or et cetera...) A polite question would be how many of you, my friends, know someone who is into what I am compared to what everyone else is into?

Back to the topic: Pliny is an excellent beer and if your choice is not to hold it to high regard then there is much respect. Because you choose not to follow everyone is something worthy of admiration. Be humble, but fiercely proud in what you love, because this is what I love about beer. :D
    Lantern likes this.

4. If you make great beer, not just good, but really fucking great beer, sooner or later people are going to seek it out. It took Russian River a good amount of time to build the following they have now.

If the one big limited product you are refering to is Younger, well people didn't really seem to lose their shit until it went DONG. It was a beer you could get growler filled until the muling and Ebay shitstorm of 2010. That's 5 or 6 years after it was first released.

Distribution is limited because production is at capacity. When you are selling half of all the beer you make out of your brewpub, it makes it kind of hard to increase distribution, if you can't increase production.

Russian River has no sales force, they don't have to try to get accounts. They turn away accounts because they can't brew anymore beer. Natalie handles the business side and Vinnie handles the brewing side. But they don't have sales reps and they are definitely not a midsized brewery.

Breweries sells merch because it has an awesome profit margin and they are a business. It is also free advertising, for their brewery. But isn't anything that is branded free advertising? Do you only buy clothes that are free of any labels, designs or markings?

Only thing you can get for free from them is coasters off the bar.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.