Pliny the elder and heady topper in the same sitting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beerdudenumberone, Jan 10, 2013.

1. So I have a problem.. I lost a bet on the ND game ( longtime fan and sucker for bets against them) and I now have to share my only heady and Pliny. I have had the heady once before and never the Pliny. My question is....... Is it smart to drink these back to back or even in the same sitting? What should I do?

2. shit yea its going to be awesome

Dagsy, MisterGrizz, fmccormi and 5 others like this.
  3. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Savant (350) New Hampshire Jul 29, 2006

Best lost bet ever.

Mgm54, YogiBeer, EJLinneman and 3 others like this.
  4. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Do it. Drink a glass of water and/or eat some crackers or something inbetween.

5. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

yea you will be fine, maybe eat or drink something different in between to clear the palate

6. patm1986

patm1986 Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 11, 2010

i have, and i really enjoyed the comparison: best of the west vs the beast of the east.
    pliny won out for me. the malt balance is a thing of beauty.
    do it, man. the head-to-head is the best example of the differences in coastality, agriculture, yada yada.
    DO IT.

7. Either serving won't be big enough for palate fatigue so go to it, have fun! Next time bet more wisely, my friend!!

8. Trust me lesson learned. Thanks you all for the advice. I am very anxious for the comparison. I believe I will eat the crackers and drink water in between.

9. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Yeah any kind of useless, flavorless snack item will do.

Fresh ginger is known to clean the palate the best. But its really not that serious, bland foods work fine.

10. bpk59

bpk59 Savant (250) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2011

TIL there's a great use for the fresh ginger I usually have sitting around, going bad, because I needed a little bit of it for a recipe.

11. poor you. Enjoy it!

12. I had Pliny, Kern River Citra DIPA, and Heady in the same sitting and the flavors all kind of muddled together. I say drink one by itself, then drink something super sour to cleans your palate, then drink the other, that way you can get the little nuances of each... But seriously, what a bet to lose!

13. I've done blind pig lunch pliney heady back to back. Go pliney then heady

14. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Blend them!

LeRose, Rutager, JxExM and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

You should be sharing them anyway! You'll be fine. Maybe do a blind tasting?

16. Your tellin me. The toughest bet to pay up on in my life! I think I would rather let my hot wife Cindy Crawford pay up with a BJ.... Just kidding. I will still get the enjoyment out of them meanwhile he will be crushing me with " how bad a team ND is".

Wolfhead, Stockfan42 and smitherz22 like this.
  17. Your right. Not a bad idea. I suppose sharing these isn't the end of the world. I guess if I have to drink my sorrows away what better way to do it.

18. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Sorrows because you're an ND fan? Sharing is much more fun, I promise. And tell your friend to not be a sore winner and to bring over something delicious, too.

Wolfhead, tectactoe and Stockfan42 like this.
  19. What are the bottle dates on both?

20. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (190) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

While I have never had a Pliny my understanding is that it is quite a bit more of a balanced beer with a strong malt backbone whereas HT (which I have drank a metric shit-ton of) is the sticky nectar left over from a hops orgy I would recommend drinking the Pliny first and HT last.

I have drank a number of different beers directly after a HT and no matter how much I enjoy those beers on their own after a HT they all just taste like a beer that is not as good as HT.

21. Hopdaemon39

Hopdaemon39 Savant (380) New York Dec 27, 2011

Yes- comparison between two of the best DIPAs out there. Heady topper has got more flavor in my limited experience as well as the killer aroma from Pliny. It'll be fun!

22. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Just drink them already, both are great.

23. There are worse things you could do than to have them together as i am finding out.
    [​IMG]

audioserf and JxExM like this.
  24. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

As a fortunate So.Californian that gets to drink Pliny regularly and who only gets HT in trades I would make this well informed take on your Pliny observation. Pliny is actually almost devoid of any tell tale malt bill. The balance of this beer is absolutely amazing without it. It's piny hoppiness that has to be consumed fresh. I hope I acquire more HT via a trade so I can do this amazing side by side. From my experience with HT, which is limited I do know that freshness is key in enjoying this beauty as well.

Cheers......

25. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (570) New York Jan 15, 2009

Had pliny, Heady, surly abrasive, bp sculpin, bp dorado, and ithaca flower power laast wednesday night...i think it was good from what i can recall lol

tcanaday and Bnoise11 like this.
  26. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

ND lost two #1 rankings this week. First to AL in football Monday then to MN in hockey last night (4-1). Never should have had the #1 hockey ranking. Enjoy the beer and sharing your passion with friends.

27. Agreed

28. Seriously. What was supposed to happen if you won?

(insert any plethora of incredible scenarios)

29. 12-20-12 Pliny
    Not sure on the Heady because I can't find a date, but I'm
    Sure it's fresh as I had a buddy bring it back from a trip out east

30. We're this deep into the thread without the typical Pliny freshness jokes/comments?

31. Ask when he picked it up and I can give a pretty good educated guess.

32. A six pack of Zombie dust and $50. I suppose now that I think about it. He has Zombie Dust and we could turn this into a 3 way. Or is that not a good idea?

33. They can on monday and thursday. Figure a week at absolute most prior to purchase. If you're talking brew, 4ish weeks to can.

34. He says12-21-12
    I imagine its not as fresh as the Pliny. Still plenty fresh I hope.

35. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

I literally just drank a Heady, Pliny and Abrasive with some fellow BAs last night. I thought this might have been one of their threads.
    Pliny<Heady<Abrasive, in my opinion.

36. If he picked it up the 21st that's when it would have been canned so not bad. Unless he picked it up at a store in vt then ur looking at 17th or 13th at the very oldest. I just cracked my last 4 pack from a case canned on the 23rd. So still drinking great but not as good as the first two weeks.

37. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Do the Heady and Pliny taste similar to Abrasive? I am NOT a fan of Abrasive so just curious.

38. I just did this with my buddy who is just getting into craft beer on New Years. It was pretty cool to drink them side by side. I used to think Heady was better but after the tasting in think I like Pliny better. I could be happy drinking either.

39. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

And how about mixing the two of them in one glass? It can't be bad. Pliny Topper/Heady the Elder.

40. Hells yeah you should drink them back to back!!!! They are not so strong that you will die
    Or be trashed or anything. It's not like drinkin Utopias and dark lord at the same time
    I'm gettin some Pliny on Friday to drink at the same time, sip for sip, against my last heady.
    I live in California and can get Pliny a few times a week.
    Heady I have to trade for.
    I'm not sure which one i like more, but I will find out for sure this weekend.