1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the elder and heady topper in the same sitting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beerdudenumberone, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Mix them.

whiskey and tabascosigned like this.

2. I'll have to be honest and say that sounds like an excellent idea.

But message me the next time you want to gamble. I'd probably be willing to drink some Hopslam if I lost.

3. i thing you should try pliny, ht, and ZD (get the winner to throw one in)

4. Cleanse your palate with the Zombie Dust. It'll probably taste like water.

5. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

The most delicious water in the world.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  6. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Not yet suggested:

1) Do a blind comparison so we can once and for all end the debate threads on which is better.

2) Save the PTE for yourself by drinking it. Then refill and cap the bottle with some middle of the road IPA. HT will then obviously win the taste-off, much to the pleasure of SO many on this site.

7. I had a Pliny the Heady once a couple years ago...was really good but I haven't been able to find it again since.

8. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

This looks like right group for a HT freshness question. I got 2 cases of HT on 12/23/12.
    1st case kept at room temp and shipped out. Case received and refridgerated on 1/7/13.
    2nd case has been kept cold since day one.
    For the remaining cans being held from blth cases, Anyone have rough estimates on when the HT quality will start to turn south? Pretty much at what point does it become pointless to hold on to them? Obviously I would drink them before its too late. I just need to know so I don't look like a douche by drinking something being held for someone.

9. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

In my opinion, Heady and Pliny are more similar to each other than either of them are to Abrasive. I tasted more citrus note in the east and west coast IIPAs, more pine in the no coast version. I hope you get to enjoy them all in one sitting!

Cheers!

10. BTPete

BTPete Savant (250) New York Jan 28, 2009

Also to put a stop to any future threads regarding it you should pour the Heady into a glass and then pour the Pliny into the can and drink directly from the can. That's what it says to do.

11. I havent had one older then 2 months, and it was amazing then too. But like any IPA/DIPA the best is probably the first two weeks, it dies off some, but really has a powerful punch through 8-9 weeks. I cant help you any later then that.

12. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I drank a HT last night, 2 sips from the can, then poured into a glass. Better from the glass, much bigger hit of aroma. From the can is nonsense, not sure why they put that there. The beer was horrible looking as usual but WGAF.

13. You gave heady a 4 and zombie a 4.95? :confused:

Based on you avatar is it a safe assumption badboy is your favorite? I'll ask my san diego connect to send me some of that when it comes out but he swears by nelson.

14. I actually would really disagree with you here. I think Heady and Abrasive are a lot closer to each other (though not THAT similar) than either of those beers is to Pliny. Heady is definitely the most citrusy of the 3, but Abrasive isn't far behind. I find that Pliny really lacks the citrus or sweetness that the other two beers bring to the table. It's much grassier and has a more significant malt profile. Admittedly, Heady and Abrasive are two of my all-time favorites, whereas I've never quite understood the love that PtE gets. I did my review of Pliny drinking it next to a Heady, so feel free to read for a more detailed comparison: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971/?ba=starrdogg

15. evilc

Yep. HT is highly variable based on the 2 or so 4 packs I've had.

Bad Boy is the best DIPA I have ever had. Been offline awhile, hopefully it comes soon. I wish they'd bottle it for real, and not just the hand bottle that Shawn did which is my avatar :)

16. evilc

I think Abrasive is far and away the most "citrusy"!

17. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Fair enough!

A caveat to my tasting: the Abrasive was 2.5 weeks old, the Pliny was 2 months old (from a trade) and the Heady wasn't date-stamped (damn you Alchemist!). I wonder how much this affected the taste.

Cheers!

18. This thread is a first-world problem.

BTPete and ImJ2x like this.