1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Elder: Freshness Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by smartassboiler, Jan 21, 2013.

1. A co-worker with a sister from California landed me my first 2 bottles of Pliny the Elder that I got today. She bought them late December, so they're probably about a month old. I'm obviously going to drink them and enjoy them regardless very soon, but with all the talk on here about enjoying them fresh, is 4-5 weeks going to do much to the flavor? It's hard to tell if that's more perception or reality.

Thanks!

2. definitely they will still taste good but I prefer to drink them within 2 weeks of bottle date possibly three
    they have a bottle date on the side and try to stick with drinking them as fresh as possible
    which is the reason they try to get them to the stores within days of bottling so the consumer will consume as quickly as possible. If I were you I would go home tonite and drink both those bottles back to back and enjoy.

3. You'd notice a difference if you drank one next to (or within days of) a really fresh (1-2 weeks old) bottle, but it's still going to taste awesome so I wouldn't worry about it. Drink them and enjoy them as soon as you have the chance.

4. You have to enjoy Pliny straight from the tanks at Russian River, otherwise it will taste like Michelob Ultra. Sorry, brother.

jgluck, nate321, bkrueger and 6 others like this.
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Ehhhh!!! <Buzzer Sound> You are incorrect sir! It will taste slightly different...very slightly. To take it to Michelob Ultra you'd need a few years in the sun before you popped that bottle.

Joesnow and corbenlee like this.
  6. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

Well, looks like sarcasm is lost on you.

atone315 and TravisR like this.
  7. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Whooooosh. Right over his head.

But in all seriousness, just drink it and see. Its not going to be any fresher tomorrow

8. They will still be tasty.

9. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

If you don't like them as much as you'd hoped, it's probably your palate, and that's okay. However, even if you don't love it now, be open to trying fresher bottles if you get the chance. I (perceived that I?) enjoyed my fresher bottles more, but it's not my absolute favorite in any case. I'd still drink it often and with ease if I had the opportunity.

dogphishead likes this.
  10. The Pliny I have had in the past was pretty fresh and, of course, delicious. That being said, I lost one in my fridge for a couple months, I cracked it and it was still delicious. The hops were quite a bit muted from a freshie, but still good.

11. Thanks for the feedback guys, they will be enjoyed this weekend for sure.

12. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Most big DIPA's are much better fresh, I've had 2 week old Pliny and month old Pliny, tasted blind I don't think i could tell, maybe on the nose though. Once you hit 2 month's or so the hops an any big hoppy brews start to fade.

13. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Pliny is good for approximately 5 hours after it has been bottled. Give or take 20 minutes.

HookemHoos and myersk27 like this.