1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the elder in fort Collins?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by VikingsFan1215, Apr 13, 2013.

1. I'm going to be in the fort Collins area in about a week and a half for vacation. I am just wondering what my chances are of finding PTE? I'm also go to Denver and boulder as well. If anybody could give me some info I'd appreciate it. Thanks
  2. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Denver is the safer bet.

Only seen it on the shelves once this past 8 or so monthsin Fort Collins, though that was a couple weeks ago. All long gone now.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Hehe...why not pick up some fresh Myrcenary while you're there. To me, PTE has nothing on it. /me running and ducking for cover.
  4. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (275) Colorado May 31, 2011

They had it on tap at Reubens in Boulder last week (didn't have it myself). They allso had it on tap at Lucky Pie in Louisville. I really wish I hadn't gotten a pint at Lucky Pie. The two times that I've had it on tap, I've been incredibly underwhelmed. It's been better in the bottle for me, but I'd still rather drink Sucks.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  5. denver10

Interesting; I have had the complete opposite experience where its been much better on tap than via the bottle. Its why I never bother buying bottles when I come across it anymore.
  6. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (275) Colorado May 31, 2011

It may have just been served too cold, but both times I've had it, there wasn't a whole lot of aroma. For that matter, when I've had Blind Pig I've been even more underwhelmed.
  7. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (265) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

Could be an old keg or dirty lines.

Anyway, I think I've only seen Pliny in bottles in Foco once or twice. For some reason, it's always at Liquor Max in Loveland, but never shows up at Wilburs or Supermarket. But it usually isn't too hard to find on draft from time to time.
  8. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Falling Rock in Denver seems to always have it on tap.
    denver10 likes this.
  9. Dolph1979

Dolph1979 Aficionado (125) Colorado Nov 28, 2011

Vikingsfan, it just hit here in all the stores within the last week, most places hold them in the back and take special orders (aka you have to be on a waiting list). You might get lucky but you will most likely not find it on the shelf. Hit up Supermarket Liquors in Fort Collins its a little dump but they have some killer stuff in there. Lots of good places in Boulder but once again if you don't ask you won't find!

If you want it on tap like a previous poster said in downtown Denver Falling Rock almost always has Pliny and Blind Pig on tap...if you are in Boulder I suggest Avery tap room I never get tired of that place.
  10. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I would suggest finding a place that has it on tap, have 2-3 pours and you should be good :) I drink it on tap and rarely buy it because of freshness and the pain it is knowing when it arrives. Always on tap at Falling Rock and often at other spots in Boulder and Ft. Collins too. But plenty of other great beer being poured in Colorado!
  11. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

If you find it, be careful that when you order it that you get the name right, I hear that the PTE police are out in full force looking to pounce on people who don't meet the proper level of beer snobbery.
    hoppytobehere likes this.
  12. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Café Vino in Fort Collins seems to have it on tap more often than not.
  13. If you're lucky you'll find some bottles while you're out. Lots of shops get it, its just a matter of timing. You'll easily find it on tap.

Dont sleep on Choice City for lunch.
    Moose90 and denver10 like this.
  14. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Boulder has it at Backcountry Pizza & Tap.
    Choice City for late lunch!
  15. pkeigs

pkeigs Initiate (0) Colorado Apr 2, 2008

I just got my shipment at Liquor Max, I will have it for about a week and a half I think.
  16. can you hold me a bottle? I am still on the hunt for some
  17. denver10

18. Concur with denver10 - had it on Tuesday at The Mayor of Old Town. Enjoy.
  19. Thanks everybody. I found some at liquor max in loveland. I am probably hitting up the mayor today for some on tap.
  20. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (210) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

I'll be in Boulder for the BB10kk and FoCo the Saturday before. Any suggestions or bottle shops I should look up? Thanks.
  21. Steve_0

Steve_0 Aficionado (215) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Cafe Vino and Mayor of Old Town in Fort Collins should have it on Tap, as well as, Backcountry in Boulder. Bottles are really hit or miss, depending on when it comes into the state because once it does its usually gone within a day or two.
    SaulTBauls likes this.
  22. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (210) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Thanks so much! I've been out countless times but never had enough time to get serious about finding great beer. I appreciate the help!
  23. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Choice City has it right now, along w/ Deliverance tonight (and $1 sliders)