1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the elder recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by slayerhellfire, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone has this recipe for a 5 gallon batch most of the ones I saw are for 6 gallons. Looking for all grain Pliny the elder, anyone brew this befor any tips or comments please fill me in, thanks!

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Take each ingredient and multiply the amount by 0.833.

3. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

If you're trying to actually end up with 5 gal, you probably want to shoot for the 6 gal batch. You gotta account for all that beer you'll lose to the hops.

4. And beware that this recipe is written for 6 gallons for a reason. You lose a fair bit of beer due to all the hops used throughout the process. So if you start with 5 gallons, you'll be left with closer to 4 gallons worth of finished beer.

5. Yeah I didn't think of that my fermenters are just the standard 5 gallon plastic buckets would that be ok, I figure after a 90 min boil it would be

6. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (450) Missouri May 9, 2004

I'm curious how you're fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket. You must lose a lot to blowoff, no?

7. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

The standard "Ale Pail" type buckets generally used in homebrewing are more like 6.5 gallons, are they not?

8. Yes that's what I ment to say, the standard is 6.5 gallons most of them. I guess I can do a 6 gallon batch but would need a blow off tube connected

9. The reason I bring this up is that my last batch I had more than 5 gallons in there it went crazy and was foaming all over the place until I used a blow off tube, it caught me off gaurd

10. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

The point we were trying to make is that, if you use the 6 gal recipe, you should have 6 gal of wort at the end of the boil. However, a good proportion of that will be absorbed by the hops. Odds are that you will only end up with about 5 gal of clear wort going into your fermenter.

11. Ok yeah got it I will remember that when I brew this, thanks

12. ACESFULL

ACESFULL Aficionado (110) Illinois Sep 13, 2011

The way 6 gallon batches work are as follows.

6 gal - after boil
    5.5 - in fermenter (leave 1/2 gal in kettle trub/hops)
    5 gal in bottles/kegs (leave 1/2 gal in fermenter yeast slurry)

Easypeasy!

13. Homebrew42

What a waste of beer.

14. ACESFULL

ACESFULL Aficionado (110) Illinois Sep 13, 2011

Well personally I dont like hot & cold break (protein break) nor do I like yeast slurry in my beers.

15. A half gallon though? I usually just rack off the slurry while slowly tipping the bucket to get the most I possible can into bottling bucket/keg. I'll agree with Homebrew that seems like a bit of a waste...

16. None of us do. Though, that amount of loss from the kettle and from the fermenter are a bit extreme. I typically don't lose that much except with my Pumpkin Ale. In fact with my most recent batch, an IIPA, brewed on Wednesday, I only lost maybe a pint from the kettle.

17. Homebrew42

Well personally I can avoid getting break and slurry in my final product without having to dump a gallon of beer for every 5 that I package. With decent technique I find no need to be so wasteful.

18. velosuds

velosuds Savant (315) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

"Waste not, want not." Never truer than when about beer.

19. I totally agree, although I will say that when I brew a Pliny type recipe with close to 1 lb of hops, I change my way of thinking & brew 6 gallons to get 5. With this much hops, you can't help but lose close to 1/2 gallon going into the fermentor (unless you want all that hop muck going into your fermentor). Same thing going into the keg -- when I dry hop with 3-5 oz of hops, I can't help but lose a bunch of beer. Normally I brew just over 5 & get 5, but not with the Pliny clone.

spry likes this.
  20. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

I brewed one of the published Pliny clones last month. I put 5.25 gallons into primary and bottled 4 gallons after dry hopping. I didn't think I'd lose that much to the dry hops/slurry, but I did.

21. jtingue

jtingue Aficionado (225) New York Apr 24, 2010

22. The grain bill was found to be wrong for that one and a correction was published later. I don't know if the .pdf was corrected. The one on beerdujour.com listed above is correct, and is also straight from Vinnie.

On the BN, Vinnie Cilurzo has stated that he uses hop extracts in PtE for the bittering additions. This is to get more yield of wort, as less is lost to the hops.