1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Elder vs. Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BoJangles, Mar 2, 2012.

1. BoJangles

BoJangles Aspirant (25) Feb 25, 2012

I would rather drink pliny

Which do you guys prefer?
  2. SageO

SageO Savant (350) California Jul 13, 2010

As someone who has access to PtE on a regular basis (I work almost next to O’brien’s) and just had a Hopslam last night, I’d say they’re surprisingly different. PtE doesn’t have a lot of booze, and has more floral characteristics, while Hopslam is a touch boozy, definitely more resiny, and the honey makes a huge difference. They’re different enough that I have to say I like them both for what they are.
  3. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76 Savant (315) Oregon Nov 20, 2010

I literally just had hopslam 2 days ago, in a trade from my bro in MN, and had the elder and the younger today at my local pub and bottle shop. I have to say, the younger wasn't all that. Great but not worth the hype. I've always loved the elder. And my my first sampling of hopslam was a good experience, but nothing too crazy. Hopslam was really smooth without a ton of aroma, and the elder was really smooth with a ton of aroma. IMO, I think the elder edges out hopslam.
    ColonelW and MisterGrizz like this.
  4. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

the pliny i had was great but not any better to me then abrasive, maharaja, hopslam etc....and as someone stated, i agree, they are quite a bit different.

hopslam without a ton of aroma? you got a cold bro?
  5. Hopslam and Pliny are very different beers, but I prefer Pliny.
    semibaked likes this.
  6. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (450) California Jul 25, 2010

Both great.

If hopslam was year round and I had access to it like PtE, I would probably get it as much as I get Pliny...

With that said I like PtE better.
  7. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76 Savant (315) Oregon Nov 20, 2010

Nope. After PtE, Boneyard hop venom, heady topper, and surly abrasive. . . . Hopslam doesn't really do it for me. Glad it does it for you
  8. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Dreadnaught...
    jminch and tconley like this.
  9. BrohamidAli

BrohamidAli Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 2, 2011

ZOMBIE DUST
    tconley and beerbiatchMD like this.
  10. Etan

Etan Advocate (735) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I WONDER IF EITHER OF THESE BEERS HAVE EVER BEEN COMPARED BEFORE. HMM.
    SpdKilz likes this.
  11. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (325) California Mar 20, 2011

Pabst Blue Ribbon in the 16oz can. Wait, what are we talking about..?
    Etan likes this.
  12. I'd drink Heady or Dreadnaught if I could over either. But Pliny easily over Hopslam. My case at least, since on tap it was far better.
  13. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i like pliny better, but they're both great.

will try heady topper soon. at this point, PtE is the best DIPA i've had, in terms of nailing the style and doing everything the way i like it. strangely, in terms of total enjoyment, i actually prefer DFH's squall IPA to pliny. pliny is hoppier, has a better "IPA mouthfeel", and is better made from a more "objective" standpoint (cleaner flavors, better feel like i said, more sensible ingredient combo), but in the end i'd rather drink the messier squall IPA. something about its flavor combo just pleases my palate.

edit: hopslam's problems: bit too hot, bit too sweet. really delicious hop flavor though.
  14. beerbiatchMD

beerbiatchMD Savant (270) Maine Nov 19, 2011

Pliny, maybe Lunch or 90 min next. Agree with Brohamid's ZD shout out, but isn't that a pale ale?
  15. It's a pale ale, but it's a beer that could be an IPA. That thing is hoppy and decently bitter, and most importantly delicious.
  16. I'm a sucker for Pliney Fresh on tap, love Heady outta can, and Abrasive from a can into a glass. Haven't had hopslam "yet" but when someone wants to send me some I will re-write this response. :)
  17. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

If both had an everyday kinda availability PTE quite easily,
  18. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I personally do not think one is better than the other. Both top tier beers. If I had regular access to both of them why would I choose?
  19. HopSlamHokie

HopSlamHokie Zealot (90) Virginia Feb 18, 2010

Definitely PtE over Hopslam for me. Found this year's Hopslam to be completely underwhelming. That said, is there a way to change your username without registering again? ha.
  20. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Really? People have different preferences? Now I'm confused.
  21. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I just have not told people what they are suppose to like yet. I have been enjoying watching the confusion of people trying to figure it out for themselves. I will send a memo out soon, should get everyone on the same page.
    suspect likes this.
  22. chanokokoro

How very true. I've always wondered why there is this incessant need to always crown "the best" brew in a specific category. I think it's fairly easy to point out which brews belong in the top tier. Let's just all appreciate each one for what it is...
  23. chanokokoro

Yes, Zombie Dust is an APA.
  24. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Everybody likes trophies.
  25. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'll save people some time here:
    • "They're very different beers"
    • "Pliny is more balanced"
    • "Hopslam is too hot"
    • "Hopslam is more balanced"
    • "I can't get Pliny"
    • "I can't get Hopslam"
    • "Zombie Dust is the bestest ever!"
    • "You can get Henry Weinhard's IPA for $4.99 and it tastes exactly the same"
    • "Surly!"
    • "Citra!"
    • "I live in Santa Rosa and I'm drinking PTY with all the leaders of the free world as I type this."
    tripeldubya, Etan and kingofhop like this.
  26. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

In the words of Charlie Sheen, "Winning"

(PtE for me)

Cheers!
  27. I've had PtE 3 times and Homplam more times than I can count. I would drink Pliny more if I could get ahold of it, and maybe if I had access to it in bottles I would think differently (all 3 times with Pliny was on draft), but as it is I have to say I think Hopslam is significantly better. Both have great aromas, but IMO Hopslam is the best smelling beer in the world, and Hopslams flavor profile is far superior (the citrus hops and honey sweetness are out of this world). I will add that if your only experience with Hopslam is this year,I could see how you would disagree as this years batch seems to be pretty hit or miss, with significant varietion between batches (there is another thread talking about it somewhere here).
  28. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I like PtE better. I think hopslam is a great beer, but not a great IIPA
  29. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Depends on freshness, draft vs. bottle, etc. Both vary a lot in bottle, especially over time.

Under ideal circumstances of say, fresh draft, then I like Hopslam.
  30. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (270) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

Both very different, but I prefer Hopslam. Then again, I'm from Michigan.
  31. In my humble opinion, PTE is the king of beers. Heady Topper is very close in terms of a rating, but is so completely different in taste, that it can't really be compared. Hopslam is not even close to either though it is a damn good beer.
  32. If you give me fresh Pliny, I can compare. The freshest Pliny Ive had is like 15-20 days old. I had Hopslam quickly after it hit stores this year. If fresh Pliny tastes like Juicy orange and lemon, then it might just win.
  33. both are great 2ipa's but no comparison between the two
  34. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Currently drinking a Pliny that I acquired in a trade for Hopslam. They are both great IIPAs, but Hopslam takes it for me.
  35. They are pretty equal for me. I might give Pliny the slight edge but Hopslam is one of my favorite beers.

Nugget Nectar is right with them for me as well.
  36. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I've had Pliny several times...and while it's excellent, I find the mouthfeel a bit thin for my liking, if I'm allowed to be picky here. I prefer more "chewable" DIPAs and a bit more citrusy vice piney. Heady tops (no pun intended) the list for me, but I actually prefer Hopslam over Pliny (I know, *gasp*). Perhaps I need to have both on tap to really judge. EDIT: and I'm actually drinking PtE right now.
    Heatwave33 likes this.
  37. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Just had my first Hopslam, ever. Have had PtE many times.

Hopslam seems a bit hot and doesnt quite have the depth of PtE. Don't get me wrong its a wonderful beer with great aroma and will enjoy again.

I'll take PtE 5 times to 1.
  38. You forgot "Vermont makes better IPAs"
    leedorham, huskermike12 and jsilva like this.
  39. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

With emphasis on the plural. I could name 5 off the top of my head from 3 diff breweries that either pte or hopslam dont hold a candle too.
  40. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Never had them side by side. But from what I remember Pliny didn't blow me away like everyone told me it would. Hopslam went way pass my expectations. I'd love to do a side by side though :)