1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Elder - What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmmy3, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I'll say this.......... HT has ruined dipas and ipas for me. Nothing stacks up.

VonZipper and omniscientcause like this.
  2. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

It was pretty decent, but definitely the biggest letdown of the beers I actively sought out for trade thus far. Maybe it's different on the west coast where it's fresher, but that doesn't mean shit to me in VA.

And I'm not an east coast HT homer. HT isn't in my top 3

3. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (455) New York Feb 9, 2011

Heady the Elder

4. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I've had neither, but I wonder how Citra Ninja would stack up against HT. I had it fresh a couple weeks ago and was completely blown away. I found it better than Zombie Dust and that's one of my favorite beers right now.

5. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

If there's anything overrated in the world right now, it's Zombie Dust. Arctic Panzer Wolf is better, IMO, and Dreadnaught is heavenly.

6. Never having had HT, I'll go with Abrasive.

7. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I need to revisit Dreadnaught, it's been a while. The ZD price point is so nice though!

8. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (455) New York Feb 9, 2011

Oh Heyyyyyy subjectivity! How's everything goin'?

9. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (345) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Without subjectivity there is no point for these forums. You are a boner.

10. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Pliny is an awesome brew. So is Abrasive. And Heady.

PrinceCaspian72 likes this.
  11. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

This happens. You get too excited on the hype and you over think the beer. Expecting perfection, and not settling for greatness. give this another try and just enjoy it. Cheers!

12. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Tad Schwimmer is back! My faith in mankind is renewed. I missed ya from the old BA days. I see yer accent has grown a little thicker with the passage of time.

13. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

You have to be the millionth person to make this thread. Congrats ha.

spicelab and VonZipper like this.
  14. It's a great beer but it's old hat for a lot of BAs.

15. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I like Blind Pig ages better, but I still love the hype behind Pliny. I think it's one of the things that first got me into researching the hard to find beers. And one of the first to make me realize I won't always like the hard to find ones! Which is great since I save some money and time now :) I totally understand why it's highly rated, it's been around for a while, and it's relatively safe now.

VonZipper likes this.
  16. Pliny is diviney.

VonZipper likes this.
  17. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, I think that Pliny really has a hard time standing up to the new guys but undoubtedly paved the way for craft beer as we know it. Still a fine DIPA, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near fresh Heady, Abrasive, Dreadnaught, Lawsons (triple play, hopzilla, double sunshine), or any of the HF DIPA's. Always happy to see this one as an extra.

Also it might be a style difference. I really don't care for the overly piney and resinous west coast style IPA's from RR, Alpine, etc. Rather, I prefer the east coast style that puts citrus, mango, grapefruit, and puckering crispness on full display.

However, the jury is still out until I get the chance to try some of Alpine's growler only beer, and Kern Citra.

18. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I love reading "Pliny is balanced"....

3 years ago Pliny was the unbalanced hop bomb that many BAs craved and I had been told that if I want balance I should drink something else.... Times they are a changin'.

19. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Citra>Pliny>Abrasive>Heady>Double Jack. That is my top five. I think the hispter pliny fans have jumped ship because they liked it before it was cool, now they moved on, I expect the same type of people to start hating on Heady Topper. No matter what is your interests, there are people who will not like it because it is the top dog.

20. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

It's for your health

Stockfan42 likes this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

IMO HT and Abrasive are very close to equal, but different. Then comes Pliny and Alpines and Citra. I'd like to revisit Kern Citra ultra fresh, but I don't have a Ca contact. All I can say that ultra fresh HT and Abrasive are amazing, and clearly at the top, but that doesn't diminish Pliny's greatness either, fresh Pliny is one hell of a beer, but the newer brews just upped the stakes in the DIPA war.