1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny The Younger Sightings - Outside of Russian River

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BlakeSmith, Jan 31, 2013.

1. So I thought it might be helpful to make a thread where folks could list where/or when venues in their area are tapping and serving PTY (Could be helpful for those who don't know where to get it).

Ex. (Establishment - When - How Much $)

Cheers all, hope this helps.
  2. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (260) California Sep 10, 2011

I don't see this thread growing in posts much. haha

BTW, the pour I got last year was at Hollingshead. 10oz, keep the glass, $15. :rolleyes:
  3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Moondoggies in PB is getting 5 1/2bbl kegs. But it's on a secret tap, $5 for 16oz...the keyword is "Nice tits"
    godrinkbeer671, sdpaul, jamex and 5 others like this.
  4. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

I had mine at Haven. Don't remember how much it was, just that there was an optional RR flight.
  5. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (260) California Sep 10, 2011

Haha...Walk up to lovely bartender..."Can i have some nice tits please?"

*smack*
  6. TheHooch

TheHooch Zealot (95) California Jun 22, 2012

7. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

True North on 30th St (the epicenter for all beery things) will have it pouring Feb 7th, starting at 8pm. There might be a line as it's usually busy so jump in. However, you must bring your RR tulip to prove your worthyness. 10oz, $10 (it is True North, after all). No tulip, no Younger. Bonus: you won't be charged a cover regardless of what the Doorman says. Bring ID as usual.
  8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I think Younger is great, but I'm much more interested to see if Lagunitas is bringing back SF Fusion. Far better than Younger IMO, and I tried them side-by-side on 3 separate occasions during Beer Week.

FWIW Younger hits a ton of places in SF. At least half of the "craft beer bars" will carry it at one point or another. I haven't done any searching, but Facebook and the SF Beer Week events page will be your friends.

I also know Platypus Pub in Bend, OR got some last year, but they didn't tap it until March (fools!) I assume BTBS will have some this year too up there.
    afrokaze likes this.
  9. First St. Alehouse, Livermore - Feb 9th
  10. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

....at 9am
  11. SF Fusion is one of the best beers I've ever had.
    afrokaze and jtmartino like this.
  12. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Citra before Younger. . . . .
    . . . . .but Younger for sure. Hope to be there on Tuesday.
  13. I saw on Facebook it was 9 AM, but also heard 10 AM. I didn't want to put a time, cause I wasn't too sure.
  14. I figured this way it would be better than a bunch of new threads saying ''ZOMG I'm in the Bay Area for work where can I find the Younger, etc."
    Anyway we'll see how it goes.
    heesu likes this.
  15. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Don't they make one every year, but the recipe changes? Or, at the very least, they make one hell of a lot beers named "Fusion".
  16. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

I think his point was that when people find out that it's going to be tapped, they don't post about it because they actually want to get some, not have every beer geek in a 30 mile radius mob the place.
  17. jtmartino

Yeah they make a new Fusion beer every couple of months, it seems. They had a Fusion in bottles recently that was a pale (Fillmore Fusion). I've also had a couple different Fusions at the brewery itself. I don't really expect to see SF Fusion again, but if I did I would be very happy.

FWIW SF Fusion is on par Waldo's. Both two of the best IPAs I've ever had. Fusion just has more of a tropical note from the use of some unnamed hop strain owned by the guys who own Simcoe.
  18. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

According to Untappd there's been a 2011 and 2012 SF Fusion, so maybe it'll be back. Then again I checked into 2011 during 2012 beer week, so who knows?
    afrokaze and jtmartino like this.
  19. hophead247

It's 9...unless they changed it. Last year it was 9, and they blew through their first keg of it in 38 minutes. The next 2 lasted a while longer.

I'll be there for the breakfast buffet before I head over to pour at the IIPA Fest.
  20. I was thinking the same. The bro and I gotta eat before we head out, might not be a bad idea. What time would you think to be there around?
  21. hophead247

Last year a friend and I got there around 8:45 and there was about 25 people ahead of us. We easily got a spot at the bar, and enjoyed the buffet and our $12 pint of Younger.
  22. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Last year? I just saw on FB that they're going to have it on tap Feb 16th in Pasadena and 17th in Orange (IIRC).
    blguillen likes this.
  23. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Is it what is now known as Mosaic?
    stawn likes this.
  24. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

Yes, last year. Sorry. I went to the one in Orange. It was ona holiday and it was packed!
  25. grrrah

grrrah Savant (310) California Sep 21, 2009

You liked the Waldo that much? I enjoyed it, but didn't think it came close to Younger, Citra, or either other Hopacolypses. Definitely had that "funny" taste. Hope to catch the SF fusion this year. Fusion 10 was very meh to me.
  26. jtmartino

Yeah Waldo was an interesting beast - it was huge dank hops, tons of grapefruit and some tropical notes on the back end. I thought it was great - like a big version of Hop Stoopid, although not my favorite profile with the big malt presence. SF Fusion is smooth and clean like Younger with better hops.

The other Fusions I've had did not really compare.
  27. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

The Portland Fusion they did was fantastic.
  28. 12 bucks!? Wow.
  29. I don't recall anyone pouring pints in the San Diego area last year. (perhaps Pizza Port?)
    The going rate seemed to be $8.50 for a 10 oz. pour at the places I frequent. In fact the GF and me found 2 spots at the bar in Hamiltons one day and had a pretty fun afternoon with the younger, and a hefty bar tab as well!
  30. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

$12 a pint isn't that bad when you consider half that is $6 for 8oz. Toronado SF (known for being super cheap) did $6 for a 7oz last year... I miss the years before where they did like $7 for a 13oz.
  31. that's some seriously bad beer karma (not posting about PtY on tap) - it's all about sharing great beer with like minded peeps. i think that this is a great thread!

32. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Just because you don't post, doesn't mean you're not sharing the news with "like minded peeps." Some of us would prefer to tell people we actually know so that we can enjoy it with them, as opposed to random people on the internet who may or may not even contribute to the community. If you want to subscribe to the circle jerk mentality of "you're selfish if you don't post about special releases/tappings/whatever," go for it, but some of us have been around long enough to know that it's bullshit.
    HopHead84, heesu and j47paco like this.
  33. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

"We're tapping this now, for you guys to enjoy. I'll put it up on our twitter in 1 hour. From now til then, don't tweet your fuckin' beer geek friends, don't facebook this shit-"

welcome back, pty.
    ggwheeler, jasonmason and Xul like this.
  34. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

I know of a host of places that will tap it under the radar. Would i rather drink it with regulars and locals or with massive hordes of out of the area people who will descend on these places for this reason and this reason alone? Last year saw many tappings where people i have never seen before showed up, got their pour and left the minute it kicked. Thats BS if u ask me. So my good buddies and BA friends will be apprised of said tappings but the out of town masses not so much. If that makes me a dick then so be it. Tired of the younger frenzy.
  35. it will be at hollingsheads on the 18th..i got no other deets
  36. danscott

danscott Savant (310) California Jul 15, 2006

Sacramento got a dozen or so kegs last year. Some places sold it for a couple of bucks, some places gouged.

I am curious to see what happens this year.
  37. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

For those in San Diego - does it run out quickly (same day) at the places that get it?
  38. danscott

danscott Savant (310) California Jul 15, 2006

A good rule of thumb: Any Younger keg tapped outside of RR or an event where RR is personally pouring it, the keg will be drained in one hour. Probably less.
    pinkgrenade and heesu like this.
  39. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

danscott is correct. goes within hours. last year someone told me it was on at tap room and RANDOMLY i was in pb so i went over there and they took it off and were going to re tap it another day for some reason... other than that it always goes shortly after being tapped
  40. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

Toronado SF is probably the only place now where this rule doesn't apply.
    KevSal and danscott like this.