1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny The Younger Sightings - Outside of Russian River

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BlakeSmith, Jan 31, 2013.

1. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Because they are shameless gougers. You know that last year, they announced they were getting a keg of Younger, and to get a taste of it you had to buy a ticket to their event featuring some no name local R&B guy, and it cost $70, right? (And that's just to get in. You still had to buy your beer.) They eventually dropped it to $40 after they couldn't find enough suckers, but that's still totally taking advantage of people. Things like that will engender some bad feelings among local beer geeks.

Anyway, if you live in Davis, the thing to do is just make the 80 minute drive to Santa Rosa. Go on a week day, and you won't have to wait long. Last time I got there at 10:45 and was drinking the Younger by 11:15.

2. I had 3 last night at Russian River - 4.50 a pop. 4 hour wait in line. Yep!

3. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Compare the prices between the two.

4. drewone

drewone Champion (750) California Sep 18, 2006

You mean in years past?

5. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

yep.

6. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

pretty sure pangea wont be getting a keg last year after the stunt they pulled

7. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I'm not sure about Pangea, but I'm certain Kupros Bistro won't.

8. it was at Cato's last night...

9. Zwans0n

Zwans0n Disciple (60) California Mar 9, 2012

^ You've got to be kidding, of course I chose last night to bail on trivia...

10. mattdbh

mattdbh Savant (275) California Feb 21, 2009

Lasted 23 minutes at Cato's last night.

11. Went on Sunday morning to Toronado. In line at 11, got in 10-15 minutes after they opened. They were staggering it so the bar wasn't slammed. Keg kicked at 12:46pm and I got two 8oz pours. There was basically no line there after 12:15pm, easy to get in. Also had a pint of Elder for comparison and it hurts me to say it, but it tasted like water after having Younger. This beer *is* very hyped up but it is truly a great TIPA.

I would wait in line again next year at Toronado to have it. Just a little over half an hour of waiting isn't bad and it was really fun chatting with everyone (ranged from kids my age to older couples) and great to see that everyone there cared about the beer.

Not ever ever EVER going to the brewery though, unless I can get a day off in the middle of the week.

12. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Had two at Toronado SF, $6 a pop, zero wait.

13. How many ounces per pour?

14. tyrsis

I think those are 8oz flutes? I dunno.

15. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

7oz flutes at toro.

16. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Had a Younger at Murios Trophy Room on Haight St. last night around 5. Keg went on at 4 and lasted until 10. There were literally 2 guys playing pool drinking BMC, a guy drinking Younger at the bar, and 4 regulars drinking house chardonnay at the bar as well. Fucking awesome. No lines, no hype, no crowd, just Younger out of a tumbler at your casual neighborhood bar. +1 to Murios for not announcing, not tweeting, just tapping and pouring.

jasonmason, KevSal, Commanche and 2 others like this.
  17. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

That's pretty great. Wish I'd known -- Murio's is like five blocks from my house.

18. JoeySchlitz

JoeySchlitz Savant (255) Colorado Jun 1, 2008

on sunday? yesterday the keg was done in 45 minutes (12:15pm). must be a six-tel for it to go that quick...

19. tyrsis

Yeah Sunday. Pretty sure they put on at the very least, two kegs. Pounded two and left, it started to get real busy.

20. JoeySchlitz

JoeySchlitz Savant (255) Colorado Jun 1, 2008

I should have went sunday....thought it would be a zoo with a line outside.

21. tyrsis

There was a line at noon. I got there at like... 12:15-ish. Everyone was inside by then

22. SD Toronado will be pouring PtY tomorrow at 1030. Don't know cost, but no limit on the glasses. Should be a good time.

23. o_O

24. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

ahhh, sooo close, we almost made it

j47paco, stawn, evilc and 2 others like this.
  25. Hey godrinkbeer671 - what will you be wearing tomorrow?

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  26. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

The way it should be...this "gotta like us on facebook" yadda yadda follow us crap is weaksauce.
    Selling tickets/raffle/lottery for beer has me thinking I should start a brewery and only make tipa's.
    Speakon, lmk if you need some EH=PH(2)

27. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

SWEET BRO LEAytA ALL GET THER AND FLASH MONB IT@!!!!

I fucking hate this shit. YO BRO _ NO LIMIT _ SHOULD BE A GOOD TIME FORT ALL!!! -- = 200 fucking hipsters incoming.

28. Let's get about 4 of us, back to back, fists up - bet we could clear out 100 evil hipsters at once no problem.

29. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I'm usually for sharing the knowledge - I pull a double standard on PtY. Such a fucking shithouse.

jasonmason and domtronzero like this.
  30. I say we just put brakes on their fixies...

31. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (455) California Jan 23, 2011

Don't bother coming down to toro today. Long line now plus 1st of 2 kegs tapped 10 minutes ago

32. nickseevers

nickseevers Zealot (75) California Mar 18, 2012

Sacramento Beer Week starts 2/22, is that when I should expect to wonder around midtown/downtown looking for PtY?

33. tyrsis

Two kegs kicked in under an hour at Toronado SD this morning.
    Choo choo, mother fuckers

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  34. Nice meeting anybody that I ran into this morning.

35. tyrsis

Another keg lasted just 16 minutes at Hamilton's.
    So absurd

36. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

Stone Bistro tapping today at 5:30

37. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

Wow.

A couple years ago, I remember seeing that both PtY and FW XIV (or maybe it was XIII, don't entirely recall what year it was) were on Hamilton's online taplist on a Friday afternoon, and had time to finish up my work, get home, walk down to Hamilton's, and the place was nearly dead at 3:30 PM. Out of a dozen people in there, maybe two of us were drinking PtY. I know that craft beer's increased popularity is great for brewers, bars, and everyone else in the business, but the amount of effort you have to put in these days to get certain limited beers is just crazy.

JohnQ likes this.
  38. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Savant (275) California Jul 11, 2012

Hit up Toronado this morning and grabbed 3/$24. Line was deeeeep.

Met some cool people in line and inside too.

Great way to kick off Valentine's Day.

39. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Love all these bars tapping it during work hours. Beer bars continue to cater to beer hobos.