1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pliny The Younger Sightings - Outside of Russian River

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BlakeSmith, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Commanche

Commanche Member

Guy asks not once but twice on Pi Bar's Facebook Page if they are doing growler fills. Idiot level is now at Defcon 4.
  2. mjl21

mjl21 Member

Or outside salespeople who have extremely flexible schedules.
  3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Same difference.
  4. evilc

evilc Member

Was this serious? You like Valentine's Day?
  5. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Member

I'll accept my role as a beer hobo. Going back to school paid off yesterday, haha.

When I can drink Younger on Valentine's Day, absolutely.
  6. elNopalero

elNopalero Member

I first had the Younger at the Toronado's 'tion night in SF several years ago. Had it again last year minus the crowds, the hype, and the commotion ... whenever someone writes that the setting/environment you are in also changes how you taste and enjoy the beer you are drinking I think of the contrast between those two experiences. Now if only I could triangulate my tasting with another opportunity to try the Younger this year.
  7. ZombieJester

ZombieJester Member

Tustin Brewing Company did a special Social Media password tapping this afternoon. 5 gallon lasted 90 minutes.
  8. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Member

It was a very mellow tapping, I'm glad they did it.
  9. evilc

evilc Member

Insane for 5 gallons.
  10. ZombieJester

ZombieJester Member

I am 15 minutes away and was stuck in a client meeting lol. going to go down to 38 Degrees tomorrow for a chance.
  11. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Member

Enjoyed PtY at Toro south today. Tapped at 11:30 and kicked around 1:45. 1 keg. No line. No bullshit. 1 keg. Pure awesomeness.
  12. ZombieJester

ZombieJester Member

Pizza Port SC just tapped Younger. Let the riots begin! =)
  13. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Member

Guess the mentality is that you don't want that shit-show to happen during normal business hours and disrupt the flow. Who doesn't want an influx of customers for a slow lunch time?
  14. jmerriken

jmerriken Member

Tapped out at Pizza Port SC.
  15. BrewerB

BrewerB Member

Pretty sweet! Though I definitely dig the old Trophy Room far more than what it's become.
  16. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

Don't get me started....
    I don't even want to talk about....
    OMG I FUCKING HATE THE NEW MURIOS!!!!!!! I hadn't been back in a year and couldn't believe what I saw from the outside windows. Some pints of RR and Op Ivy on the jukebox were always highlights of my SF visits. My friend warned me they had "renovated", but I couldn't fathom what I was in store for. Not only could I not walk in there that night after seeing it from the outside, I couldn't even look in the next day as I walked into Amoeba. A Pox on that place! A Pox!
    BrewerB and Commanche like this.
  17. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Member

Anyone headed to O'Briens today?
  18. evilc

evilc Member

O'briens is generally the biggest shitshow of them all.
  19. Patrick

Patrick Member

I saw on twitter when they announced the tapping time. This morning I saw a picture of a few glasses on twitter and was surprised there weren't more people behind them.

What's the deal with this bar? When I was there it was also not busy at all (like 15 people), does it ever get packed like the one in the city?
  20. ZombieJester

ZombieJester Member

Got a flight of Younger, Elder, Blind Pig, and Row2 today at 38Degrees. Everything ran smooth by the great staff there. Younger was way worth the hype for my first time.
  21. Xul

Xul Member

Aside from San Diego Beer Week and Craft Beer Conference week when it's nuts to butts every night, it mostly gets crowded Friday and Saturday evenings...it can get mildly busy other nights, but most of the time it's pretty mellow.
  22. Patrick

Patrick Member

Is it the neighborhood? Honest question. I had a great time there, and everyone seems to love it, so my head I just imagined it being a mob scene for a PtY tapping.
  23. Xul

Xul Member

Well, Thursday's PtY tapping was a mob scene (from what I heard, I wasn't there) because it was announced in advance, whereas Friday's was only announced a couple hours before opening time. Between the fact that some people had already gotten it on Thursday and fewer people can drop what they're doing on two hours notice, it just wasn't going to be as crazy.
  24. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Member

Friday was also a lot of tappings all over the city. Supply diluted the demand. Toro is very popular and usually has a good crowd.
  25. evilc

evilc Member

As usual, O'briens was a nut to butt, shitshow shithouse. I knew that going in though so it didn't annoy me. People who didn't know better seemed extremely annoyed. I am surprised the Fire Marshall didn't show up - they were probably 3x capacity. Highlights of the night were the infants with mothers out on the smoking deck, covered by a cloud of cigar and cigarette smoke.
    HopHead84 and Commanche like this.
  26. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Member

What the fuck were children doing at a bar during a crazy beer release? Parents of the Year.
  27. evilc

evilc Member

Were a lot. I am a parent who will bring my kids to a place like Toro @ 12PM for brunch on a normal, 7 people in the place day - but PtY at O'briens which allows smoking outside? Fuck.
  28. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Beer is serious business. Children be damned.
    grandmachine and Sebowski like this.
  29. BierVogel

BierVogel Member

Any chance there is a tapping anywhere in the Bay Area this morning? Just got into town last night and would love to have one glass for my first taste ever. PM me if anyone knows anything. Willing to drive where ever and willing to hook you up with something tasty from Minnesota for any tips.
  30. hansw

hansw Member

Harry's Hofbrau on Saratoga Rd in San Jose. 4oz pours with a ticket. They sell them first come, first an hour or so before they tap the keg. Just looked: Mayhem starts at 11

31. ipa247

ipa247 Member

About to be tapped at a location in the East Bay. Already a ton of hipster bro doofuses. Beer events are no longer fun days. Everything is a fight to grab one glass vs a bunch of bros who didnt hear about the beer until last week. Old and jaded i am. Longing for the old days.
    jasonmason, mjl21, abecall98 and 3 others like this.
  32. ipa247

ipa247 Member

As mentioned above, just tapped a keg at Barclays in Rockridge. Handing out 2 tickets per person. Saw a group of 6-7 bros get shut out from tickets. It was explained that they were holding back tickets for regulars who were coming in later. First time i have seen a beer bar do this. However, I have never seen these guys in here so definitely not regulars. I love it. They immediately left and started heading back to the Bart station to likely invade some other beer event and beer bar they never frequent.
    rmdownward likes this.
  33. evilc

evilc Member

4oz pours? That is fucking gay. It isn't a BA stout. Need a lot more time with an IPA than 4oz.
  34. rmdownward

rmdownward Member

Saw that as well. Haven't seen this many stangers here since World Cup.
  35. hansw

hansw Member

I guess it is a choice, instead of 70 pours of 8oz they opted for giving
    More people a shot at it, nothing wrong with that

36. Zwans0n

Zwans0n Member

Man, I keep missing every goddamn tapping. this is starting to get irritating.
  37. evilc

evilc Member

Facebook and Newsletters. You won't miss anything ever.
  38. evilc

evilc Member

Oh, a sixtel. Makes it different I guess then.
  39. Zwans0n

Zwans0n Member

I guess I put together my Facebook list too late/ most of the tappings in the bay were during work hours...

I wonder how many are left in the area...
  40. evilc

evilc Member

If you're Bay Area you should have gone to the brewpub!!! Only us Socal peeps need to worry about bar tappings!!
    phingdong likes this.