1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny The Younger Sightings - Outside of Russian River

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BlakeSmith, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Zwans0n

Zwans0n Disciple (60) California Mar 9, 2012

Oh, I went. unlike last year when I went, there was a 7 hour line.
  2. Yeah, it was packed. Luckily, my buddy grabbed a table inside more than an hour before, so that helped. No clue how all those people crammed in the bar and outside.
  3. Tustin brewing Company posted some great beers for their Pliny Week.

"Russian River Week starts tomorrow w/ the tapping of Pliny the Elder & Damnation. Also, before we get any Younger, lets celebrate aging with Tuesday's tapping of 2010 Temptation! Throughout the week, we will have Supplica-, Consecra- & Sanctifica- TIONS! We've got multiples of mostly everything, so relax and enjoy the ride..."

4. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

The best bar in Riverside, The Salted Pig, will be tapping at 11am tomorrow. There probably won't even be a line!
  5. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

There probably will be now...
    jasonmason, nanobrew and HighWine like this.
  6. Trappist just sent out their email newsletter, detailing their PtY scheme, basically the same as the past couple years - buy one of the $2 tickets on sale this week, come back next week, hand over your ticket, and get a pour. Easy peasy.

Pretty certain Beer Rev hasn't yet tapped their keg either, but if you pester Fraggle about it, I think he'd spontaneously combust. :p
  7. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Ah man. I thought the deal was to keep that hush hush until AFTER it's all out!
  8. mtk180

mtk180 Disciple (60) California Jan 18, 2013

Trappist might be your best bet, especially at only $2 for a pour. Not sure how they're actually distributing tickets, other than selling 22 per day. I got mine at Bobby G's in Berkeley, only had to wait an hour, which was totally worth it.
  9. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

I waited over 6 hours for my PtY today at Hollingshead. When I got in line, Hollingshead told us, it's about a three hour wait. Well, they were off by three hours! :(

While in line I heard my alma mater will tap PtY this Wednesday.
  10. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

I hear you. I was at one of my favorite new breweries on Sunday, only to discover that, for the first time, there was a line at the bar and no place to sit, mainly because the place was mobbed with hipsters. Handlebar mustaches, ironic t-shirts, fedoras, nose rings. Etc. Some asshole probably tweeted about the place and BOOM.

It pisses me off that something I actually care about has become these people's latest opportunity to display their superior tastes and their amazing ability to be the first person in their group of friends to know about something. But looking on the bright side: hipster fads come and go about every six months. Next year at this time, they'll all be into something else.
    barfdiggs likes this.
  11. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Got my 3 pours in last night. What did you guys think of this year's batch?
  12. Whambulance needed.

If they are truly "one of your new favorite breweries" you should be happy for them and excited to see them doing well.

Bashing on "hipsters" is more played out than actual hipsters.
    DrAwkward82 likes this.
  13. MLucky

Spoken like a hipster.
    Azrael, kotayk and domtronzero like this.
  14. If you knew anything about me, you'd know how incredibly moronic that statement is.

I have a favorite new brewery too. I've seen the crowds swell quite a bit over the past 6 months. Some of these people in the crowds even have facial hair and wear funny t-shirts and hats. When I see these crowds, my first reaction is not disdain or an "I was here first" attitude, but instead a happiness knowing that my "favorite new brewery" is making a fantastic product that people enjoy. I guess we're different that way.
  15. Ironically, making disdainful remarks about a group of people is a hipster thing to do, so criticizing hipsters is...hipster.
    AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  16. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Younger tapping at Haven in Pasadena was a bit of a joke and poorly run. Supposed to hand out tickets at 11 am, didn't, and instead let whoever was in line earlier get as many pours as they wanted. Then posted to their Facebook account about how awesome it was that all these people (300+) showed up at Haven for Younger, despite only serving about 80 people. I get that it is a ridiculously popular beer, but was a bit frustrated at how Haven handled it.

Luckily, my friend and I felt the impending lack of Younger, got out of line, and then went to Lucky Baldwins and drank pints of elder followed by bottles of 1999 Thomas Hardy's Harvest, 2004 JW Lees and 2008 JW Lees in Lauginvulin (sp) barrels. Hopefully Younger gets tapped somewhere else around town, still haven't had a chance to try it yet.
  17. Saw the line while heading to lunch in Downtown Orange at Haven Gastropub ... Alot of fucking people in line haha. I know the Surly Goat in LA is tapping it on Thursday night and I was thinking baout going down after talking to bartender last Saturday morning. He was saying there is more than enough to go around and you really dont need to wait in line. You can show up 30 min after they open and still probably get a pour. Only problem is fighting your way to the bar to get the pour
  18. Yeah, Haven Pasadena handled it poorly. Or, I guess, just didn't handle it at all. Instead of tweeting pictures of the line a couple hours before opening, they could have just sent someone down the line to hand out tickets. It would have saved some of us the wait, and would have prevented all the line cutting.
    barfdiggs likes this.

19. yer adorable....
    bugdoc likes this.
  20. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Yep, that would have been the way to do it. The line really did swell closer to opening, was pretty surprised about how bad the line cutting was, assuming 30-40% of the people there had never been to a release before.

21. Errr... So am I allowed to say I didn't really enjoy this year's younger? Had it for the first time last year. This year seemed too sweet/malty. There was hardly any nose either, and this was drinking out of a tulip wine glass. Frankly speaking it reminded me of Simtra.

Had a PTE sitting right next to it, and enjoyed it way more. More bite, more hops? How could this be?

Is it just me or are the big IPAs becoming more sweet/less bitter to become more approachable?
  22. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

last year - no nose on younger
    this year - massive nose

imo
    MacNCheese likes this.
  23. MLucky

Oh, sorry, must've been the reference to "played out" that threw me. Whenever I hear somebody use that expression I assume they're one of those superficial twerps who actually gives a shit if something is fashionable. You know, like they think it's gonna hurt my feelings that something I said showed that I wasn't up on the latest trends.

Look, you can say that when you show up at the new favorite brewery and can't get a seat that you feel nothing but happiness, and some people will probably believe you. But I'm one of those cynical people who figures that you probably don't like it anymore than anybody else, and you're just saying that because the remark about hipsters pissed you off. For some reason.
  24. I have no idea what your course of logic here is but to your point I actually never sit down at my favorite brewery so I'm not worried about seating arrangements. My favorite brewery is Sante Adairius Rustic Ales and you can find me standing next to the barrel by the bar pretty much every Thursday enjoying Tim's wonderful beers. Have a good day.
  25. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

I agree with this. Most of my friends agree with evilc though. I remember thinking Younger always edges out Expo for me, but this year's Younger has nothing on this year's Expo. Younger this year had more barely wine notes than "Triple IPA" things going for it, imo.
  26. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

did you get some growlers of Expo?

p.s. you are wrong about PtY
  27. Sebowski

1. You know better.
    2. No. You're wrong. I think you guys were riding a "wait in line for 2hrs at 8am" high and then suffered from group-think. Isn't it a half percent less abv this year? That's pretty significant. It is the same ABV as Hop Henge now. (Does that make Hop Henge a TIPA now?) Do you have tickets to O'Briens tomorrow? I'm bringing a bottle of Expo for side-by-side. If you don't maybe Dee in to giving you one of his (I only have one).
  28. I'll be there and happily offer my tasting services for the side-by-side. In fact, I might do O'Brien's to watch Barca for lunch, load the car and drive to Alpine for our Expo... back to O'brien's for PtY. Wow, tomorrow is starting to sound like an amazing day!
  29. Sebowski

Sub in Barca at The Harp in OB for me and that is my day exactly! It's a better soccer bar and closer to Alpine than O'Briens. Just saying....
  30. Actually, come to think of it my meeting is in OB at 9... maybe, just maybe.

Carpool?
  31. it doesn't taste the least bit like a barleywine

it's a big juicy fruity delicious ipa
    Azrael likes this.
  32. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

you're allowed to think what you want. while other years were bigger on the nose, the beer is still pty and kicks major ass for me.
  33. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

My cousin took me to Good Karma, a place in San Jose, for a tapping on Monday. A lot of hippys, I felt pretty out of place.

A fight broke out though. Someone smashed a bottle over someone else's head.
  34. I think it's just you.
  35. Are you serious? Younger is the new Air Jordans now?
  36. bird22

bird22 Savant (405) California Jan 2, 2011

Wow. Almost headed over the hill for this on Monday. Glad I didn't now. I can only imagine how crowded that place was.
  37. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Yeah, it was really odd. I was near the counter, heard a bottle shatter, saw employees separate two guys and sweep up. One of them left immediately, the other guy left after about 10 minutes. He had some blood on his shirt. I guess he got hit. I don't know if the cops were called but we left pretty quickly after that.

I'm not from the area, it was my first time there. My cousin loves the place. I didn't get a good first impression though.
  38. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Younger is serious business bro.

I guess no one notified him it isn't the BEST BEER IN THE WORLD anymore and that he should fight over Heady Topper instead?
    Azrael likes this.
  39. An additional benefit of Heady is that there is no broken glass when you smash it over someone's head.
    barfdiggs, Azrael and evilc like this.
  40. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Yes he does. ;)