1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny The Younger Sightings - Outside of Russian River

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BlakeSmith, Jan 31, 2013.

1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I got me a pint today too.

2. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

oops, missed his question. It is hard to read on the phone.

3. Took my wife to the tapping at Crow Bar and Kitchen yesterday for her first taste of Younger. We knew that they were tapping it at two and selling tickets for two pours so my wife got us reservations. Around noon I told her to call just to confirm they were still honoring reservations (they were) and she found out already selling tickets so we booked it down there, bought tickets and headed back to work. Tickets ran out about 1:30ish. Once 2 hit they just started pouring the Younger into every glass they had and walked around with trays exchanging Younger for the tickets. Overall very well run.

The daily specials were outstanding on the food side

4. The Graduate in Davis has it. Tapped tonight at 6PM. There was a small line at 6 and zero line right before I left.

5. Some one has to say it: that is no good for your Karma.

Azrael likes this.
  6. fuck me i hate the grad but i might have to head over now

skunkpuddle likes this.
  7. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Good lord, I had to read up---for a second I thought you were referring to the Grad(uate) in Oakland. Now that's a real gem.

8. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Do you know they ran out as of closing time? I could make it over there today. I'm guessing they drained it, but you never know, right?

9. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Damn, I wish I knew about this last night, wasn't paying attention. First local place I hear that had it. Looks like I need to get my facebook liked pages up.

10. Someone posted in the Sac Beer Week thread that the Grad's keg is done. I can't verify that myself, I didn't stick around for too long.

11. MLucky

Thanks, I figured as much. But you never know.

12. Sorry for not posting it sooner, but I am stuck in the dark ages and don't have a mobile internet connection. Had to wait until I got home to post.

13. Burgers n brew at 2 on sunday in sac. I have a brew day scheduled at capitol beer and I cannot go. Hopefully another ba will pm me when it goes on tap somewhere else. #Prayingforgoodbeerkarma

14. the grad kicked in an hour and a half, i missed it

15. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

On tap right now at an undisclosed nor cal location. No lines, no people. Its mine! All mine!

16. MLucky

17. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I probably won't even bother. Going to just look at the photos on my phone that I took of Younger at the brewery. Oh well.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  18. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

Yeah money is tight for me right now even though I wanted to hit a few spots this week.But I still have my Hopocalypse and Palate Wrecker at the house.

BTW anyone see the FB post by SAC beer Week for the event at Pangaea ? Right after the fest next SAT and $85 ? I mean I only went there once and did truly enjoy it but I kinda see why there is some hate.

19. ScottO

ScottO Savant (280) California Mar 4, 2012

Sdbc was super-chill this morning. I guess it was unannounced. I got a tip from a friend (thanks chad). Finally broke my cherry and loved every drop. Bonus 2nd pour was even better.

20. Angst

Angst Aficionado (225) California Nov 8, 2007

I think my brother was there tonight. Too bad I'm in SoCal :( On a side note, if we are talking about the same place and if any of you are the guy from San Diego that talked to a guy & girl about home brewing, cheers. That was my brother & his friend. He said you were a very cool dude!

21. MLucky

Yeah, I was at Rubicon on Saturday, where they had a SN event (BA bigfoot, BA narwal, a rye DPA, among others on tap), and decided to go by Streets of London on the odd chance it wasn't a mad house. They were doing one of those deals where you had to be there are 4pm to get tickets for PtY, which would be tapped at 6. I walked by at 4:30 and they were out. So... I have no idea how hard it was to get a ticket at 4, but I'm going to guess you had to be in line before that to get one--in other words, it was 2-plus hour wait just to be guaranteed one serving.

Just confirms my feeling that the easiest thing to do is to go to RR mid-week. I realized that, even counting the drive, it took me less time to my Younger that way, and they didn't cut me off after one.

22. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

On tap unannounced in San Diego right... now.

23. Anyone go to Burgers & Brew in Sac on R street today? Was it a madhouse? Thought about it, but went to Folsom and Roseville and tried out other beers instead. If I can live without a brand new Tickle Me Elmo and a brand new Wii, I can live without PtY.

24. Judging by their FB page, it was a madhouse - one pic shows a line ~100 people deep. Considering they were doing 10oz pours for $3, I'm sure it was kicked amazingly fast.

25. Exactly what is the point of posting this? To indicate that some place does an unannounced tap? You could have waited a day, then identified the place - that would have been interesting, somewhat useful, and would have not flooded the place because the PtY would likely be gone.

Or am I missing the inherent humor in your post? It certainly wouldn't be the first time for me missing a joke here.

Sebowski and pmarlowe like this.
  26. Glad I wasn't one of the poor saps waiting 2 hours only to be told it was tapped out.

27. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

Aside from the gloating aspect, it only took a few minutes to figure out who had tapped it, and it wasn't exactly difficult detective work. I didn't bother to post where it was, nor even go for a glass myself, but if you really want a tapping to fly under the radar, don't post cute shit alluding to it online.

Sebowski likes this.
  28. I guess I failed detective work 101, as it didn't show up on any of my usual feeds. Given prior history, my blind guess would be PP Carlsbad, which would actually be sort of a joke to post about it given what happened last year. :)

29. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (325) California Jan 11, 2010

As far as I know a couple places did unannounced tappings in SD today. I'll only confirm that you do in fact suck at detective work. It really wasn't hard to find if you tried.

jamex likes this.
  30. Davis Beer Shoppe has it RIGHT NOW. They were at capacity when I left, but they are limiting it to one serving per customer, and it's a pretty small place so there should still be some left. You will have to wait for people to leave though.

31. NM, my buddy just told me they are dry now. They are still having a killer IPA event there though. Lots of other beers to try.

32. I only clicked on this thread because it said the last comment was made by somebody named bonercity. Awesome.

33. MLucky

Yep. I went by there at about noon, and there was a line outside, and they had already given out the 75 tickets they had for pours of the Younger, mostly to people who lined up before they were open, I guess. So the keg the was still flowing but I wasn't going to be able to have any. Sometimes it sucks to have a job.

34. Yeah I was able to convince my boss that we should spend our lunch break there. You work in Davis? I work at Ink Monkey, we make t-shirts.

35. Ladyface had it on today but only really announced it through facebook comments when they posted about tapping other RR beers. They put it on at opening I guess. I got there just before 3:00 and it blew shortly after I got my pour. Stress free non crowded experience. I love Ladyface!

36. Pizza Port OB had it on today; they sent out a Facebook blast about 10 minutes before putting it on. Lasted an hour and a half, apparently. Detective work wasn't too involved for me in this instance, I guess. :)

37. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

lasted about an hour and a half, very chill scene. Mainly locals and regulars. I easily could have gotten 2 (or 3) but I had to go back to work. $7 for 10oz, plus keeper glasses for a few bucks more.

38. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Just want folks to know that you can still find places out there that treat PtY just like any other beer, and aren't bent on making a scene.

39. Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena posted their schedule. Supposedly they will have sanctification and supplication (at least at the old town location) if, like me, IPAs are not your thing.
    No word on the Sierra Madre location.

40. What's a glass special?